PDA

View Full Version : EY Upgrade?

RWP
19th Aug 2008, 14:26
How long have the F/O's that have upgraded been at the company?

It's obvious that DEC impact the number of upgrades the company needs, but if hired as an F/O, how long are guys sitting in the right seat?

cameljockey
21st Aug 2008, 14:50
At least 18 months in the company before an upgrade is possible. It is in their book.

jet-lag
22nd Aug 2008, 15:00
At the present moment F/O on Bus....should wait about 3 years due to senority and the normal line to be Upgraded.

frankbama
25th Aug 2008, 20:39
I was at Etihad in early August and met an F/O in the training center for his upgrade. Time with company was 1year 7 months

jet-lag
25th Aug 2008, 22:31
NO WAY....1.7 years.....I know who got command....during last 3 months...

Bredrin
29th Aug 2008, 19:21
Upgrades to date have been running at less than 2 years from date of hire, however, I believe that it may slow with aircraft deliveries tapering off over the next couple of years. Then when the new orders kick in.....business as usual.

The DECs have not had an impact on the upgrade program as the training department is 'maxed' out and couldn't do more than the 8 per month. Having said that, the upgrades were moved from the A330 to the A320 by some genious and the program has ground to a halt. NOT ENOUGH TRAINING STAFF ON THE A320 FLEET!!! DUH!!!

John60
31st Aug 2008, 00:31
Bredrin a few things need to be clarified. Upgrades have stopped because of too many DECs taking the slots. Unofficially there will be no more command interviews and no more upgrades until next year. No one from management had the balls to send a memo regarding this. Meanwhile DEC are accepted on all fleets including A330 as we speak. The guys who are now upgraded on A320 have been with company almost 3 years and have completed command interview months ago. A320 training staff is also busy with DECs.

Sir Osis of the river
31st Aug 2008, 01:14
John60,

Are you sure? Does that include the guys rostered for upgrades in September?

John60
31st Aug 2008, 12:43
Hello Sir Osis,

Unfortunately it is true. The guys rostered in September are back on waiting once more. It has been like that for months. Eventually I am sure these guys will be rostered for upgrade in due time, but this is not the point.

Not so long time ago when aviation market was still booming some guys had accepted the challenge to join the unknown Etihad and not because they were furloughed. They helped EY to expand from less than 10 aircraft to 40+. They have worked their arses off at difficult times on much lower salary and had to deal with so many problems. These guys went thru a lot. At that time there was nothing special about Etihad and not that many guys wanted to come. Now these FOs are bypassed by furloughed pilots which otherwise would have never chosen to be here. The furloughed DECs are now enjoying the salary and benefits of someone else’s hard work and this is happening in an organisation who wants to be “best airline in the world” and claims to “follow general best practice of the major carriers of the world”.

Etihad should have stopped this long time ago. It is safer to upgrade within and it is much better for training to do upgrades instead of upgrades and DECs at the same time. It is also much better for long term planning and economics.

heavyjet340
31st Aug 2008, 16:58
I agree with you ...i've got an upcoming interview with EY. Seems like they are like a happy face on the outside but massive problems on the inside...kind of like some psycho chick I used to date. Crappy hotels on layovers (I take it to be true from other posts I've read), terrible skeds, no days off, management stepping again on the hands that feed them, and the worst...where ya gonna live?

Is this all pretty accurate...if so EY will never ever be world class, and emirates has already won.

triple click
31st Aug 2008, 18:14
Don t worry!!! our superman jamy ho will soon present a PowerPoint showing excellent load and aircraft orders.. "YOU are the asset for the airline but i can t give you what you r asking for your family (housing and money)...Our trainers are doing their best but i feel sad because i can t give them money coz i really need my bonus... sorry if u r not kiwi or Ossie you do not deserve a proper accommodation".

Be happy in Etihad Fantasy World!!

FROM ABU DHABI TO THE WORST!!

KRUGERFLAP
31st Aug 2008, 18:24
try QR once and you will love ETIHAD,LOL

Bredrin
2nd Sep 2008, 16:58
DEAR JOHN,

I think you are pretty close to the mark, things have ground to a halt and the DECs are being interviewed as we speak.

heavyjet340
3rd Sep 2008, 01:44
that just isn't right!

frankbama
3rd Sep 2008, 19:23
At the Phx road show they said "If your a DEC you may put in your info but we aren't doing DEC's at this time." They did say housing is a proplem and they are trying to work it out.

Bredrin
5th Sep 2008, 17:16
There is at least one DEC candidate being interviewed next week.

John60
5th Sep 2008, 22:47
Dear frankbama and the rest,

Be very careful on promises given during road shows. They know how to manipulate the truth. This is what they get paid for. Regarding DECs we are not getting any – for the time being - simply because we got too many of them.

FOs are getting upset. Management knows about it and need to do something. They will say to these boys at the staff road show next week not to worry cause they aren’t doing DECs from now on. But they aren’t doing upgrades either. Same promise given on previous staff road show among others and also given in written:
“In any case internal upgrades should have priority over the hiring of direct entry captains whenever possible.” - VPO

They will also announce the movement from A320 to A330 mainly to accommodate their fellows A320 DECs and also to keep FOs mouth shut - no command possibility for the next 3 years.
Same goes for housing. It has been like that since day one and they always come up with the cheapest solution possible and a basket full with promises.

All the best

Yani Yani
7th Sep 2008, 06:47
oh man...so as I've already been here 2.5 years it would mean a wait of 5.5 to 6 years for a command slot ! This is disastrous....