PDA

View Full Version : PROLLY - urgh!

DeeCee
19th Aug 2008, 15:02
If there is one abbreviation that annoys me, it's 'PROLLY' for 'probably'. I thought it had died out, but have seen it twice in the last couple of days. We get the occasional 'LOL' now and then, which is easier to ignore for some reason.

Come on, bring it on and call me an old fart if you like. But we are not 12 years old and into constant texting are we? Or are we.......?

What other abbreviations annoy you?

DeeCee
19th Aug 2008, 15:07
Arghhhh! You win - so far anyway.

Parapunter
19th Aug 2008, 15:16
Ur for your. It's not as if it's a huge time saver anyway!!

frostbite
19th Aug 2008, 15:38
Nearly all lazy abbreviations annoy me - more so the spoken than the written.

'Scooby' for Subaru for some reason, 'Quali' for qualifying in F1, etc., etc..

But then, I am an irritable old fart.

Standard Noise
19th Aug 2008, 15:40
It's prolly cos yer just an old fart! LOL!
:}

Parapunter
19th Aug 2008, 15:41
:= UR an old frt. Get it right..er...wrong.

UniFoxOs
19th Aug 2008, 16:39
I'm an old fart and I use "prolly" reggly - life 2 short to spend loadsa time tryping.

UFO

Lon More
19th Aug 2008, 17:10
YYURYYUBICURYY4Me

Scooby Don't
19th Aug 2008, 18:26
UR means you're, not your. So yes, I get annoyed by those who don't know when to use your and you're, or they're, there and their, and let's not forget to and too or it's and its!

BombayDuck
19th Aug 2008, 19:40
ScoobyDon't - UR is "your", U R is "you are".

I'm ashamed to know the difference, though I will claim to never use either.

If you want disgusting, though, there are people who spell the words "sorri" and "worri"... WHAT THE F:mad:K IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU'RE (U R) NOT EVEN SAVING TIME BY TYPING THAT!

green granite
19th Aug 2008, 19:55
I must plead guilty to using 'prolly' in TTRAB sometimes. But then it's that sort of thread. :)

mustpost
19th Aug 2008, 19:57
Urgh!

Not an abbrevi..... but shurely 'Bring it on' qualifies as well :cool: You're an old fart.. well you asked for it

PS in overusage stakes is ‘prolly’ not eternal ©T. Draper?

tony draper
19th Aug 2008, 20:07
One can speak posh when one needs to.:suspect::rolleyes:

PingDit
19th Aug 2008, 20:27
DC,

Lstn M8, there's nowt rong with abbrev'ns, altho prolly does get on my t1ts.

2 sheds
19th Aug 2008, 20:30
Do you mean "poshly", Drapes?

How about the really irritating...

watp.iktch

It's not clever - and it was never very funny!

Loose rivets
19th Aug 2008, 20:49
One has to say that watp.iktch is prolly the mst anoyg abvtn that i have ever nown. What's the point?

frostbite
19th Aug 2008, 21:00
Equally annoying is the number of people who actually want to know what it means.

Another one, in use on the AV forum, is 'Panny' for Panasonic.

Loki
19th Aug 2008, 21:03
Heard "Coronation street" referred to as "Corrie". I don`t watch such drivel, but it annoyed me for some reason.

Similarly "Defo" instead of definitely.

Stockpicker
19th Aug 2008, 21:07
I likewise only use prolly in JB; and always text in proper English, although I only do single spaces after full stops instead of the proper double space. :8

mustpost
19th Aug 2008, 21:22
Shurely that should be definately

frostbite
19th Aug 2008, 22:36
Agreed on Defo, which reminds me of another irritant - Crimbo.

2 sheds
19th Aug 2008, 22:43
I could get quite annoyed by this time. Quite a few mentioned already that I had almost forgotten!

How about ...

Beamer... for BMW.

chiglet
19th Aug 2008, 23:46
One has to say that watp.iktch is prolly the mst anoyg abvtn that i have ever nown. What's the point?

Actually LR, it's....watp,iktch.
It started as a joke with Sue [one of the cleaners], and as she liked it, it has become my signature...especially as I cannot be bovvered to type in
We Aim To Please, It Keeps The Cleaners Happy every time. Life's too chuffin' short :D
watp,iktch

henry crun
19th Aug 2008, 23:54
As has been mentioned, it was never very funny, and now it is just an irritation.

Desert Dingo
20th Aug 2008, 01:47
Yes, for me also, wapt,iktch lost whatever minimal vestige of humour it once had after about the first 100 sightings.
However, there is an easy solution to this annoyance - the ignore list is a wonderful thing :)
Posts with that signature now go off to live with the posts from the similarly annoying Buzzzzzzzzy idiot, and life is good again.

treadigraph
20th Aug 2008, 07:57
&.

That really irritates me as it looks incredibly sloppy, particularly in formal written reports, tenders and presentations to clients. Many of my colleagues are guilty of this crime. To type "&" requires use of the shift key, surely three quick lower case strokes, a, n and d can't take appreciably longer.

Why are some people saying "get" when they mean "have" these days? I was buying lunch the other day and heard two people at the counter next to me ask the girls "can I get a cup of coffee?" No, I think they would prefer to get it for you. Perhaps you mean "may I have a cup of coffee please?" I know one of the culprits and am well aware that his standard of English is normally very high, so where has he picked that up from? Is he being cool perhaps?

Juud
20th Aug 2008, 08:27
For me personally, Chiglet's signature is an integral part of the PPRuNe tapestry. It, and he, have been on PPRuNe forever, and its sheer familiarity has bred affection rather than contempt. :ok:

mustpost, must read a dictionary some time:
Definitely:
Syllables: def-i-nite-ly
Parts of speech: adverb , interjection

;)

PLovett
20th Aug 2008, 09:50
It is interesting that if you google "watp.iktch" it produces 4 references, all of them PPRuNe fora.:ok:

mustpost
20th Aug 2008, 09:59
Did I not read somewhere that in the township of Soweto BMW means 'break my windows' ?

Loose rivets
20th Aug 2008, 10:50
Actually LR, it's....watp,iktch.
It started as a joke with Sue [one of the cleaners], and as she liked it, it has become my signature...especially as I cannot be bovvered to type in
We Aim To Please, It Keeps The Cleaners Happy every time. Life's too chuffin' short :D
watp,iktch

Well, One would never feel contempt Flaps, but I'm one of those people that can't stop reading...a kind of reading inertia. That's inertia in a Newtonian way not...Oh, flippin 'ek, never mind.:uhoh:

There was a super regular poster on the computer forum. He hailed from Florida and was always soooooooooo helpful. But, he had the longest postscript which I would always be half way through before realizing what it was.

I did think of pasting in my own such PS. pertaining to Loose rivets. 'Sweep the runway when I've gone.' All about flying very old turbo-props that bits literally fell off as they vibrated on take-off.

Argonautical
20th Aug 2008, 12:50
What precisely does "LOL" mean?

SLFguy
20th Aug 2008, 13:11
Laugh Out Loud

Laughs Out Load

Laughing Out Loud

Take yer pick.

2 sheds
20th Aug 2008, 15:07
Sorry, but I am at a loss to understand how the initial letters of a pathetic joke appended to every post constitutes an amusing habit or even a "signature". Whether or not you know what they mean, it's just no longer even mildly entertaining, just downright irritating.

goudie
20th Aug 2008, 15:26
What precisely does "LOL" mean?

Sure I read somewhere that it means, 'Lousy Old Lover'.

CUNIM
20th Aug 2008, 15:40
In Australia, we used "doggo" for the night shift. Arvo for afternoon and Chook for chicken, Donk for engine and so forth. I am sure that there are many more, but these samples were not written only speaked.

G-CPTN
20th Aug 2008, 15:59
only speakedSpoked, Shirley?

GrumpyOldFart
20th Aug 2008, 17:41
LOL: Loony On Line.

Loki
20th Aug 2008, 17:48
Mustpost

"Shurely that should be definately"

Another of the things which irritate me...if you are serious, check the dictionary.

GrumpyOldFart
20th Aug 2008, 18:37
DeeCee, eh? That's prolly not even your real name.

DeeCee
20th Aug 2008, 19:16
No it's not.

Jerry Coe eh?

Had the horn recently?

Loose rivets
20th Aug 2008, 19:58
Okay, a story made of abbreviations. Why don't I kick off?

LOL One is taking the Red-Eye heading home for Crimbo...

mustpost
20th Aug 2008, 21:23
Er...Er..Er.. Er..Er.......

Mustpost

"Shurely that should be definately"

Another of the things which irritate me...if you are serious, check the dictionary.

Anybody else missed the point of the verbatim quote above??or should I PM people inividually?
Good grief :mad::mad::mad::mad:
wots the point :ugh:

Loki
20th Aug 2008, 22:20
It`s always amusing to see people being berated on this forum for making spelling mistakes. I suppose it`s even funnier to be criticised for spelling correctly.

It`s definitely definitely, though a great many people would have it otherwise.

Or am I missing a point here?

mustpost
20th Aug 2008, 23:00
Yup you are, the underscore and the spelling of shu.. never mind, no irony in Asgard obviously..