PDA

View Full Version : Defraggin' top tip

SR-71
16th Feb 2001, 21:35
If you would like to defrag your drive(s) less often and have some drive space free then here's a top tip for anyone who's edited the registry or is feeling confident: Tested in Win98SE although it should work with any version of windows (I guess). What you should do is goto Start, Run, enter"regedit" then press OK. Goto "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", "System", "Control", "FileSystem". Then edit or "Create new key" with the name "ConfigFileAllocSize". Or just "Find" "ConfigFileAllocSize" Then you should give it a decimal value (I suggest 2048), Which means that if the next available gap on the drive is less than 2Mb then Windows won't use it and find a larger gap. You can vary this in accordance to your space. I've just installed an IBM 46Gb and have set this to "10240" which is 10Mb. The only downside to this is that it wastes space but when you do finally defrag this will give you your space back. Don't forget to save your changes. If you do make a mistake then boot to DOS (with F8 key on startup) and enter "scanregw" which you can use to "Roll back" your configuration. This should give noticable improvements and should be pretty simple to do, well I managed it.

------------------
ICQ# 91029795

ExSimGuy
18th Feb 2001, 10:37
Error (E103) Spelling

You mean "De Friggin Top Tip" ;)

Seriously, though, I suspect that the last coment about the "rollback" may only apply to certain WinDoze later versions - I checked my "98SE" and it's there in C:/Windows", but I don't think this edit facility was the same in previous versions, so check your own machine to make sure that you can correct any error that you put in (and keep a backup anyway :) )

------------------------
http://www.l39.com/_borders/Ejection_seat.gif
Martin Baker - the only way to fly!