PDA

View Full Version : High 5 for the media.

FlyCessna
19th Aug 2008, 11:01
Got the following from Ninemsn.com.au :ugh:

Small jet crashes into Japan highway (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=617039)

It seems that this "small jet" made a crash landing on a Japanese Highway...."
A small business jet has crash-landed in a busy traffic intersection in western Japan, but no-one was seriously injured.
A blue-and-white Cessna plane crashed into the street in Yao city in Osaka prefecture, smashing its propeller and wings, television footage showed"

That must be the new Cessna 206 Citation i have heard so much about...:D

Yet another example of some top notch media coverage of aviation related matter.

jamsquat
19th Aug 2008, 11:52
Yeah, I saw this too, made me laugh!!!!!! The prop is clearly visible in the pic, so no excuses. Prob cut and pasted straight from an OS news site without any "proof reading".
Jet powered 206 or 210 would look pretty mean though!!!!!!

JS:ok:

FlyCessna
19th Aug 2008, 12:24
i think the "jet powered" 206 / 210 is commonly referred to as the 208 Caravan :p

NZFlyingKiwi
20th Aug 2008, 05:26
I think they're just seeing how far they can push the boundaries of accuracy in order to get more readers. "It won't quite pass as a jet airliner, but small jet, why not".

j3pipercub
20th Aug 2008, 05:39
i think the "jet powered" 206 / 210 is commonly referred to as the 208 Caravan

THEM'S FIGHTIN WORDS!!!!!!!!

jamsquat
20th Aug 2008, 11:19
Nah, not a turbo prop. I wanna see one with a turbo-jet or turbo-fan stuck on it somehow. Maybe a small unit on each wing or a single up the back with a scoop on the roof!!!

JS:ok:

Capt Wally
21st Aug 2008, 23:24
The media are quite clever really, they write it up to get yr/us/our attention,(after all that's their core business) & that's exactly what they have achieved!:) It's fodder for us actually:-)
Oh & just quickly did anyone notice that a sign up ahead showed a "T" junction, oh such decisions, which way to crash!:}

CW

asiaseen
22nd Aug 2008, 00:01
The pilot bravely avoided crashing into McDonalds.

I wonder if they serve sushiburgers?

finfly1
22nd Aug 2008, 01:02
I guess unless you have done it, it is hard to describe the urge to land at a McDonalds when you are flying a non-jet powered 152, have not eaten in hours, and can clearly see a clear road for miles in both directions, devoid of traffic and wires.

No I didn't, but I sometimes wonder.....

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Aug 2008, 06:32
Skydiving club in Graz used a turbine C206 for a while IIRC.

Romeo India Xray
22nd Aug 2008, 08:20
Forget the 210, i'm getting images of a 152 with an RB211 stuck on top - now that would look REALLY mean ........ but then where would you put all the fuel? Im guessing you would only have enough in the tanks to prime the lines :hmm:

RIX

Farrell
22nd Aug 2008, 13:47
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/quartermilefinal/carajet1.jpg

jammydonut
22nd Aug 2008, 13:48
Japanese high streets must be designed for air and ground traffic.
Our very own UK Flying Vet Maurice Kirk walked away from a similar incident last year in Japan when he ended up parking his Cub into a truck.

Bushfiva
22nd Aug 2008, 15:12
Small jet crashes into Japan highway

The rest of the article refers to "small plane", "street", "propeller and wings", which is pretty accurate. The original Japanese-language item gets it right all the way through. Also, in Japan, this road is classed as a "highway". So while you mock, you're not actually much better than the people you're mocking, because you've not read the original Australian item, you've not read the original Japanese, and you don't know how Japanese nomenclature is mapped onto western road systems. Within Japan, one reason this item is newsworthy is because a year ago a helicopter from the same airport dropped on the adjacent railway.

Farrell
22nd Aug 2008, 17:11
Do they still have an insanely low speed limit on the Expressway there?

I miss Japan so much!
Best year of my life.

PaperTiger
22nd Aug 2008, 17:49
I guess unless you have done it, it is hard to describe the urge to land at a McDonalds
http://www.airliners.net/photo/McDonald's/Douglas-DC-3C-S1C3G/0307374/M/ (http://www.airliners.net/photo/McDonald's/Douglas-DC-3C-S1C3G/0307374/M/)