PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Equipment on Internet Auction Sites

flexy won
3rd Jan 2002, 18:00
I recently purchased some items of software from internet auction sites and thought I would share my experiences with you:

1) Carefully check the description of the item given on the auction site. Cross check it with the manufacturers description (via manufacturers web-site) to ensure that the item described matches the item title. This avoids later disappointment when you don’t get what you expect.

2) Check other auction sites and closed auctions to make sure you are not paying over the odds for the goods.

3) Check the terms and conditions of each auction site, some offer better protection for buyers than others.

4) Check the seller’s ratings and read comments left to assure yourself that he is who he says he is and that he has carried out successful transactions before with satisfied buyers.

5) Contact the seller and confirm the actual condition of the equipment. If it is used ask about broken or missing parts. It is useful to know exactly how old the equipment is, who used it before and for what. Ask about any cosmetic damage, scratches on casing, missing covers, broken catches, etc.

6) Confirm what equipment comes with the item e.g. manuals, drivers, cables, power supplies. Does it come in the original packaging? Not essential but may be an indicator of condition.

7) Confirm what software and operating system version (including service packs) it is supplied with and whether or not they are licensed copies.

8) Use a method of payment which is auditable i.e. you can track how much you paid, when and to whom. Online bank transfer or Nochex (or similar) is good.

9) When you get the item check the package thoroughly and check you have all the items as described. Make sure the equipment works as described. Check for any damage that may have occurred during transit. A quick visual inspection of the packaging while the courier is there will indicate how likely it is that damage occurred during transit.

10) For used systems check the hard-drive, run scandisk, check system properties, run a virus checker. I have little experience of this so someone else may be able to provide better advice. Try and do this in isolation of any other equipment to prevent damage.

This list is not exhaustive or authoritive and is probably common sense to most. I managed to get some bargains saving a total over £200 on three separate items but I was quite naïve and could have got badly caught out.