PDA

View Full Version : Qantas CFO Peter Gregg quits

mrpaxing
19th Aug 2008, 06:41
As of 16.29 hrs today PG has resigned. Let the games begin:zzz:

Talkwrench
19th Aug 2008, 07:04
good. its time for change. here's hoping it extends further down the tree.

skylarker
19th Aug 2008, 07:05
Effective from December 31st 2008.

Announced retirement today

Wod
19th Aug 2008, 07:26
An opening for a prodigal Gary ?

prunezeuss
19th Aug 2008, 07:32
The Dominoes will now begin to fall.
.The Boys Club is being broken up.
Lets hope the bonus-style of management goes with them.

SOPS
19th Aug 2008, 07:58
Something tells me this could start to become very very interesting.

wheatbix
19th Aug 2008, 08:57
If you dig a little deeper, apparently the new CEO has come in and wants all his own people doing the job - ie peter got asked to leave.

Qantas 787
19th Aug 2008, 09:22
There was a very detailed story in the AFR yesterday about the Joyce appointment, basically saying the Gregg would resign this week because he didn't agree with the process. Only Joyce was interviewed in depth - Clifford took a stand as to how the process would take place and Gregg didn't like it. Not getting the job as well would have left him annoyed, as he seemed to think he played a big part in the financial success.

Oh well, the board made the right call, life moves on.

The question now remains "what will Borghetti do?".

capt.cynical
19th Aug 2008, 09:42
The question now remains "what will Borghetti do?".:confused:

Start kissing Irish A$%^holes :ugh:

mrpaxing
19th Aug 2008, 09:52
my guess is another 6 month and then JB will also enjoy gardening leave. if
AJ is really smart he will toss the lot.:D:D:D

captaintunedog777
19th Aug 2008, 10:29
On you Joicy lets now make Qantas the great airline it is.

PyroTek
19th Aug 2008, 10:39
The question now remains "what will Borghetti do?".http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/confused.gifGo back to the mail room where he started? Probably more fun at the moment than being up in the management - with all the media attention?

Lucky Six
19th Aug 2008, 10:39
Smart money is that JB will stay. Read the AFR article and you will realise that it was a controlled story from QF Central.

Safe Flying

Clipped
19th Aug 2008, 10:47
FOG and FOG .. now who's next?

Lucky Six
19th Aug 2008, 10:57
Good question Clipped. This appears to be a top down re-org. I believe the CP went last week so the focus might be on the next level of management.

From recent articles on Clifford and the Rio style of management this appears they way things are done. It will be interesting to watch and hope that none of the good people get sucked into the vortex.

Safe Flying

Jabawocky
19th Aug 2008, 10:58
Mr Cox perhaps?

None of my business I know..... but could not resist!:E

J:}

Clipped
19th Aug 2008, 11:56
One only hopes .. or should I say a whole department, hopes.

hi-speed tape
19th Aug 2008, 23:59
The whole flying public hopes !!

StallBoy
20th Aug 2008, 01:53
It's all to late can't anyone else see that Qantas is going down the same drain hole as Ansett did. Same story different airline.:bored::bored::bored:
The share holders should have jumped and let McQuarie go down holding the airline.:D:D:D:D

domo
20th Aug 2008, 04:59
in todays smh
The most interesting was a change in the relationship between Gregg and Dixon. Gregg was vocal in his criticism of the war with maintenance unions and Dixon wanted to take them on for a monumental battle.

seemed like a top bloke

blow.n.gasket
20th Aug 2008, 05:01
The main difference being,
Qantas is profitable, Ansett wasn't!:bored:

Bolty McBolt
20th Aug 2008, 07:07
Now that Peter Greg has gone lets hope the "Light House" group goes with him.
Has been rumoured there is a connection between the two?

griffin one
20th Aug 2008, 07:14
Talk about rats leaving a sinking ship. Greig was a lacky between jha and q anyway, Good riddence,JB better learn the phrase onya joycee.Will the leprechaun find the pot of gold ?

blueloo
20th Aug 2008, 07:15
I think the pot of gold has already been raped and pillaged.

SilverSleuth
20th Aug 2008, 08:29
This is just the start.........
One cant hep but think this is just the Low cost management moving house. The board I think has brought them in to do the same. Cut and slash. That includes perks, conditions everything. I am very sure jetstar boys and girls will be flying rat A/c (A380, 787s etcs) in the future. Joyce will just say this is the conditions for this aircraft, take it or leave it. Shrinking demand plus this new postion puts everything on his side.... not good...
:rolleyes:

Wod
20th Aug 2008, 10:20
There are quite separate issues.

The market for full service will be determined by the customer.

The market for LCC will be determined by the customer.

All the airline can do is try to offer both products and profit by responding to the customer.

Now the cost of providing full service, and the cost of providing LCC is another issue.

There is no grand conspiracy to favour one model over the other that I can see.

speedbirdhouse
20th Aug 2008, 10:30
Quote-
"There is no grand conspiracy to favour one model over the other that I can see."

Not now that the lizard has gone.

stubby jumbo
20th Aug 2008, 10:50
To quote the late/great Frank Hyde....

I reckon DC should be lined up and BOOTED straight between the proverbials.

He has made us the laughing stock of world airlines.

Next job=Talent Scout for Bunnings

FOC:E

john_tullamarine
20th Aug 2008, 11:31
Dixon wanted to take them on for a monumental battle

Looking at that statement objectively .. one can only lament that the salutary lessons of the 89/90 debacle quite obviously were lost on some people ...

blow.n.gasket
11th Sep 2008, 09:14
SilverSleuth:This is just the start.........
One cant help but think this is just the Low cost management moving house. The board I think has brought them in to do the same. Cut and slash. That includes perks, conditions everything. I am very sure jetstar boys and girls will be flying rat A/c (A380, 787s etcs) in the future. Joyce will just say this is the conditions for this aircraft, take it or leave it. Shrinking demand plus this new postion puts everything on his side.... not good...

How will this all be achieved silver?
It would cost Qantas a motza in redundancies!
The Operational Redundacy clause of WorkChoices is gone! ie management can't just unilaterally cancel a contract.
They might try on "these are the conditions for this aircraft" but not on the A380, that's agreed to under EBA7 and if EBA8 get's up any 787 with Qantas on the tail will be crewed by Qantas pilots.
So just how is this calamity you forecast going to occur?

blow.n.gasket
11th Sep 2008, 09:22
This whole succession thing at Qantas was summed up succinctly by a JetStar mate of mine thus,
"THE KING IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE QUEEN":ok:

lowerlobe
11th Sep 2008, 21:48
I think the pot of gold has already been raped and pillaged.
....No, actually the takeover bid was rejected..thankfully!

Wod
11th Sep 2008, 22:53
Let's not forget that the takeover bid was not rejected - it was stuffed up by a hedge fund trying to be too cute (and greedy). Gotta love those unintended consequences!

ron burgandy
12th Sep 2008, 00:20
Heard Mr Gregg was seen travelling full fare first class to HKG on CX this week. Hopefully he's changing industries, otherwise I'll send my condolences now to the Cathay boys and girls:eek:

GUARD
12th Sep 2008, 07:51
Heard the same thing Ron from a mate who was on that flight with Gregg sitting up the front in First Class.

Maybe he's applying for a job as a bean counter at Cathay.....:ok:

GUARD:)