PDA

View Full Version : Poor surfing

Rollingthunder
15th Feb 2001, 06:01
Having a hell of a time getting into (not getting into) regularly surfed sites including ebay tonight. Anyone else?

lame
15th Feb 2001, 06:08
This may NOT be your problem, but I was having same trouble yesterday, defragmented my drive last night, and now all okay.

Do you do that regularly?

Rollingthunder
15th Feb 2001, 06:15
Three times a day, unless I'm away.

Rollingthunder
15th Feb 2001, 06:21
ebay, not defragmenting.
PPRune works fine as do several others but many others say server may be down, try again later.

ExSimGuy
15th Feb 2001, 11:14
Defrag three times a day? Surely that's just a tad over-enthusiastic :rolleyes:

----------------------
http://www.l39.com/_borders/Ejection_seat.gif
Martin Baker - the only way to fly!

Rollingthunder
15th Feb 2001, 19:35
All back to normal after a couple of hours.
Martin Baker - always wanted to have a couple of those for office chairs.

SR-71
15th Feb 2001, 22:37
If you are defragmenting your hard drive(s) more than once a fortnight then you are gonna just wear out your drive premeturly. Normal defrag is once every 1-2 months. However, hve you thought that you may just have been surfing on a day that a lot of Americans had the day off?

------------------
ICQ# 91029795

SR-71
15th Feb 2001, 22:55
Try this http://www.tweakfiles.com/networking/modembooster.html

This might make things better but I haven't tried running it all the way through. Will tell you if it makes any difference tommorrow. Came recommeded by PCFormat.co.uk and I do take there opinion seriously as PCWorld don't advertise in their periodical

------------------
ICQ# 91029795

Flyswift
16th Feb 2001, 00:18
If you run Win98 you should never need to defrag your hard disk as its a 32bit system, and all disk activity/balancing is taken care of.

Still need to do it in Win95 though http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

AquaPlane
16th Feb 2001, 12:57
Flyswift,

The W95, W98 and Me kernels are almost identical, and any HDD's controlled by these OS's will certainly need defragmenting at times. For a fully NON-DOS based OS you must go to Windows NT or 2000, and even then you must defrag the disks. The disk writing is taken care of by the on board electronics of the drive (hence IDE - Integrated Drive Electronics) or by the SCSI adapter. I run 12 W98SE machines, 10 W2kPro machines and 3 WNT4 Servers, all of which need defrags...!

Norton Speed Disk is by far the best Degrag tool, performace advantage over anything shipped with Windows (Including the new W2k defrag) is huge.

Aq

SR-71
16th Feb 2001, 21:15
On the subject, check out my post on Defraggin'

Tartan Giant
20th Feb 2001, 05:51
SR-71

How did you get on with the modem booster ?

If you uninstall it, will it revert all the MTU / MSS / RWIN to the original settings or leave the machine in a mess ?

Cheers
TG

SR-71
20th Feb 2001, 21:12
Well TG, I ran the setup program last night (it takes an hour or two) and I've just started using it today and download speeds seem similare but Quake reports an improvement in ping times (about 20-30%) and is certainly more smooth. As ping times are important for loading web pages too but Quake makes it much easier to see if the pings are consistantly better. As for the unistallation, it wouldn't be needed as it uses its own dialer and doesn't alter your dial up networking settings at all. Also Zone Alarm hasn't asked if MB can have acces to the internet so I don't think it is sending any "Market Research" to the MB server. Seems to be quite good but it's only a 30 day evaluation. When that time is up then I'll consider if it's worth paying for although I don't know how much they want for it. Try it and see as there doesn't seem to be a downside. Hope this helps TG

It's not the destination that counts but the journey.

------------------
ICQ# 91029795

Tartan Giant
21st Feb 2001, 00:30
SR-71

Many thanks for that - it does help.

Cheers,

TG

askcv
21st Feb 2001, 04:36
Don't mean to butt in, however my PC will not defrag. I start it off and it gets to 3% of Drive C then stops. Hours later I see it still sitting there, lazy as hell. Any way I can restore the defrag program without a full re-load of the OS? Scan Disk is OK.

Tinstaafl
21st Feb 2001, 06:41
Usually defrag stops because something has accessed the HD.

In Win95 or 98 before running the defrag utility, use CTRL-ALT-DEL to shut down everything except Explorer & Systray.

This should take care of whatever is interfering with the defrag process.

Hope this helps

Ausatco
21st Feb 2001, 11:50
Also, turn off any screensavers as many access the HDD and cause defrag to restart or stall.

I think defrag has a default limit of ten restarts, then it stops and reports its problems.

AA

SR-71
22nd Feb 2001, 21:56
Chances are AskCV that whats happening is that your machine starts to defrag and then another program writes to the drive and defrag says "oh well, I'd better start again". Close down as many programs as possible before you defrag (anti-virus seems to be the main offender) and start defrag. I'm quite confident that it should help. I had the same problem until I unloaded PC-Cillin. Should work mate.

------------------
It's not the destination but the journey that counts.

ICQ# 91029795

SR-71
22nd Feb 2001, 22:03
Oops, didn't see the other replies.