PDA

View Full Version : Working in Africa

Xavian
19th Aug 2008, 05:39
I've heard a lot of things about flying commercially in Africa (Botswana, Zimbabwe etc) from a number of people now, which has got me thinking that it has become something to seriously investigate.

Problem is I'm not sure where to start looking, what companies to approach, who to talk to etc.

I was just wondering from those that have looked into this option, maybe even working there now or have recently returned from Africa what you have done? What advice would you give someone looking into this? Where is the best place to start? What where your experiences?

My flight experience is 300+ hours, New Zealand CPL / MEIR.

Any help and/or leads on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

SA242
19th Aug 2008, 09:44
The vast majority of flying done in Africa is performed by South African contract companies. Most fly B200s/1900s and caravans. Also some airvan work about. Lots of work going at times but then the amount of SA low time pilots who are applying to these companies on a daily basis is also very high. The SA aviation industry is actually fairly large in the contract side and the country produces hordes of new pilots a year due to low cost of training. Worth a shot though. Some big names are executive turbine, fedair, NAC etc. Many companies around, most with contracts for work up in central and north african countries like DRC, Sudan and Algeria.

kalaharicharlie
19th Aug 2008, 18:35
Botswana is a good place to pick up work flying a C206 for a start then maybe an islander or caravan after a year or 2. There are other places as well, Tanzania and Namibia come to mind. You use to need 400 hours before getting a job in Namibia but don't know if this is still the case. Unfortunately you will need to go out there and knock on doors to get a job, if you send a cv over it will just go straight in the bin. Plenty of info in the African forum if you do a search, it's been covered many times and you should be able to find everything you need to know.

The Hill
28th Aug 2008, 12:58
Go to maun and hang out for a while, plenty of fellow kiwis, best flying of your life! pm me if you need more info, C-206 time will help

GavinStorkey
2nd Sep 2008, 03:51
Hi there,

Have you got information on the small operations that fly in Maun?
I am keen to get over and see whats there but would like some heads up first

Cheers