PDA

View Full Version : Television Detectives

tony draper
18th Aug 2008, 22:35
Just watched one of they Rebus thingies,summat struck me,as far as I know before getting into CID and becoming a detective one has to do one's time in uniform first, one simply cannot imagine blokes like Morse or Rebus pounding the beat wi a pointy hat on saying things like
"ello ello ello whats going on ere then"
:uhoh:

G-CPTN
18th Aug 2008, 22:42
What's more, some of the undercover drugsquad chappies don't look as if they've ever seen any sort of uniform . . .
(I'm talking about the real life ones, not the TV ones)

Muffin Themule
18th Aug 2008, 22:52
Got more than a passing acquaintance with the drug squad chappies, G-C? :=

tony draper
18th Aug 2008, 22:55
Once working in Sunderland nick desk bloke unlocked the doors and let me into the secure custody area and locked the door behind me again,did me thing with the cctv camera and waited for the Sergeant to let me out,scruffy looking down and out character seated on the bench by the door,one supposed him to be one of last nights drunks awaiting the return of his property and release,"what you waiting for" spake he, "to get the **** out" replied I,he stands up removes key from his pocket and lets me out,one of the chaps he were.:uhoh:

con-pilot
18th Aug 2008, 23:01
What's more, some of the undercover drugsquad chappies don't look as if they've ever seen any sort of uniform . . .
(I'm talking about the real life ones, not the TV ones)

Too true G-C, we worked with DEA agents when I was with the Marshal Service, trust me, we could not tell the difference between the god guys or the bad guys.

Now, a funny side story about an DEA agent. The first few years I was with the Marshal Service Mrs. C-P was an customer service agent for Bell Telephone dealing with moblie phones. She had a customer that she was nervous about, she told me that he had a lot of cash, wore a lot of gold jewelry, drove a Rolls Royce, paid cash for the mobile phones and kept coming in and buying new phones with new numbers. Now my wife was making a lot of money off this guy's account, but she was getting more and more nervous. So, another US Marshal pilot, a real deputy US Marshal and I met the mysterious customer on night at an after hours meeting.

The minute the mystery customer and the Deputy US Marshal saw each other they both said, "Oh Sh!t!". The mystery customer was the Lead DEA agent for a five state area. We had blown his cover. :uhoh: The two had worked together in the past.

All ended well and we are still in contact with the 'mystery customer'.

tony draper
18th Aug 2008, 23:10
Frankly of them all one still prefers Sherlock Holmes.:)

G-CPTN
18th Aug 2008, 23:11
Got more than a passing acquaintance with the drug squad chappies, G-C?Not something to be sniffed at . . .
Frankly of them all one still prefers Sherlock Holmes.Hee hee, there used to be a DC White attached to our local nick when I was a laddie. He always wore a gabardine raincoat with the collar turned up.
We called him Snowie . . .

Standard Noise
19th Aug 2008, 00:55
Ah sure it's been all downhill since the days of good old DS Spender.

Whyaye bonny lad!

CarltonBrowne the FO
19th Aug 2008, 11:14
There's been a murrrdurrrr.....

Gainesy
19th Aug 2008, 11:23
Mrs G is quite fond of the Miss Marple series. I always wondered why the "cops" didn't tell her to **** off out of their way.

Big Tudor
19th Aug 2008, 11:26
Allus thought the same about that Murder she wrote Gainsey. If they were that good at detectiving then why didn't they join the police force. :hmm:

tony draper
19th Aug 2008, 11:29
Well most TV detective series are a bit daft when yer think about it,entertaining but daft some of them just to daft to watch,among which was the afore mentioned Spender,one I used to like was about a detective in Victorian times,Scrote or summat can't remember the title now.:)

Loose rivets
19th Aug 2008, 11:44
'Good morning Sir, could I have a job as a DCI?'

'Have you got a classic car lad?'

'Me Sir...no Sir.'

'Well, **** off then.'

Parapunter
19th Aug 2008, 11:49
I liked Spender too. He'd be chasing some herbert or other round the Monument, then the guy'd disappear round the corner & lo! we're at Jesmond Dene! Good stuff.

Big Tudor
19th Aug 2008, 11:56
The main criteria for a successful TV Tec seems to be someone who is a little bit wide, who flies in the face of rulebooks. Add in a complicated personal life and you're pretty much there. The only one who seems to be a good old honest copper is DCI Barnaby in Midsomer, but then he is also the only person who has survived for longer than 3 weeks in that village. I'm surprised the local Chief Constable hasn't put 2 and 2 together. It's feckin obvious that Barnaby is the murderer, he's just framing everybody else to cover his tracks. ;)

frostbite
19th Aug 2008, 11:58
Unfortunately, one had a run-in with the Met CID many years ago.

Never forgotten the chap with shoulder length greasy blond hair, a yellow and green shirt and purple suit.

No, I didn't fancy him

Standard Noise
19th Aug 2008, 14:48
Bring back Jack Regan!
Even if you have to dig him up.:}

Must say though, when I was watching Spender nonce around in that Cosworth (how could a rozzer afford one of those on tuppence ha'penny a week???), I couldn't help thinking that Oz looked a bit anorexic!

And another thing, I know that TV detectives all have flaws but why do they always make the N Irish ones appear to be psychotic? We're lovely fluffy people really.:rolleyes:

tony draper
19th Aug 2008, 14:53
The Sweeny is being repeated one one of the freeview channels at the mo.:ok:

Standard Noise
19th Aug 2008, 15:01
"Get yer trousas on yer nicked!"

Simple yet effective. Beats 'you have the right to legal aid, anything you say may be retracted without prejudice against you, would you mind awfully popping down to the station for a little chinwag, there's a good fellow.'

Thinking about it, I wonder if the creators of Life on Mars realised that Gene Hunt would turn out to be more popular than Sam Softyarse?

Taildragger55
19th Aug 2008, 15:24
Gent Hunt is a breath of beer-scented air after the bunch of nancies we have had to put up with on TV and books over the last few years.

As for PD bloody James and her poetry-writing prat Dalgleish, and bloody Inspector Lynley, the bleedin' Earl of Buttplug with the world's ugliest sidekick, Gawd give me strength.

tony draper
19th Aug 2008, 15:34
What about that Poirot bloke? the man's a dammed foreigner.:uhoh::rolleyes:

G-CPTN
19th Aug 2008, 15:47
The Jersey copper from the department of strangers had a smart motor:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/jersey/content/images/2007/09/27/gjs07_allen02_470x350.jpg

Lon More
19th Aug 2008, 16:07
I see on a lot of the fly on the wall programmes that they seem to have dificulty remembering the words of the caution.

Shades of my yoof in Luton. "'kin get in the van, son; you're nicked."

AntiCrash
19th Aug 2008, 17:44
I always liked The Thin Blue Line.

Jetex Jim
19th Aug 2008, 18:26
Best cop show of the lot, possibly because it doesn't star a cop; Cracker.
"I drink too much, I smoke too much, I gamble too much. I am too much."

And for sure the best looking sidekick, Geraldine Somerville, 'Panhandle'.

PingDit
19th Aug 2008, 18:30
We didn't even need detectives when we had 'Dixon of Dock Green'!

batninth
19th Aug 2008, 18:31
I liked Spender too. He'd be chasing some herbert or other round the Monument, then the guy'd disappear round the corner & lo! we're at Jesmond Dene! Good stuff.
Funnily the same happens to DI Jack Frost. He'll be zipping along the York Road in Leeds heading for Seacroft, turns a corner a pops out in Bramhope. Wish it worked for me, it would cut hours off my commute time.

Forget about Dr Who, these TV cops can travel through space & time far better than any Time Lord

G-CPTN
19th Aug 2008, 18:46
We didn't even need detectives when we had 'Dixon of Dock Green'!Not true - Andy Crawford (married to Dixon's daughter Mary) and played by Peter Byrne.

oldshuck
19th Aug 2008, 18:48
Pingdit I seem to recall some relation of Dixon was a detective if my memory serves me right..Andy was his son-in-law ?

eticket
19th Aug 2008, 19:30
At 21.15 tonight (45 mins time approx) on BBC4 they are showing the first ever Z Cars episode.

1962 and probably transmitted live at the time. Wot you see is wot they did.

I'm at work so I will catch it on the BBC i-player later on.

This may bring back memories:
DCI Charlie Barlow ...... Stratford Johns
DS John Watt ...... Frank Windsor
PC Bob Steele ...... Jeremy Kemp
PC Bert Lynch ...... James Ellis
Chief Sup Robins ...... John Phillips
Kary Hoskins ...... Virginia Stride
Sergeant Twentyman ...... Leonard WIlliams
PC Jock Weir ...... Joseph Brady
PC Fancy Smith ...... Brian Blessed
PC Sweet ...... Terence Edmond
Janey Steele ...... Dorothy White

PingDit
19th Aug 2008, 19:35
Ah, if I remember correctly though, good old Jack had it all 'done & dusted' by the time his son-in-law appeared on the scene!