PDA

View Full Version : Worried about studying time and UAS

Culio
18th Aug 2008, 21:32
Hey guys,

I have set my sights on doing a law degree at university. If I work my balls off, I should be able to get three A's at A-Level, so hopefully a law degree is within my grasp.

I also hope to get RAF sponsorship through university and join the University Air Squadron (which I believe is a requirement to be sponsored, but I would anyway).

It's just, I'm worried that I will be spending too much time studying on my law degree to have time for UAS.

Do you think a law degree would be too time consuming for me to dedicate time to UAS?

Thanks,

C.

Timelord
18th Aug 2008, 22:01
C

I think that this is the wrong place for that question. Try the Military forum. Unless, that is, your long term intention is civil, in which case forget the UAS.
It is quite possible to study for a demanding degree and do well on the UAS but you need commitment and will not have time for much else.

Culio
18th Aug 2008, 22:04
I wasn't sure which room to post it in actually, oh well :P

I am looking at a military career, and if UAS takes up all of my free time, I am prepared to make that sacrifice. It means a lot to me.

Re-Heat
19th Aug 2008, 08:14
Don't worry about the UAS - nowadays, the EFT training is no longer performed on the UAS, and you should be able to treat the UAS as experience rather than a requirement (as it should be). I would recommend that you join the UAS for the experience at uni rather than being committed to it through sponsorship from day 1 - I have seen a number of people mess up degrees through spending too much time at the squadron and not enough time working. It is not a requirement to have been on the UAS to join the RAF.

You are at university for your degree first and foremost - don't let anyone let you forget that - particularly UAS officers who have not themselves been to university and do not understand the demands on you.

Your priority should be to do whatever degree you are best suited to at the best university for your abilities, then find the UAS associated with it as the final step. Don't choose your degree based upon your thoughts on the UAS demands.

It is great fun.

TomH1408
19th Aug 2008, 12:19
UAS is definitely something worth doing it gives you a lot of opportunities that other students wont get, free flying training for a start. BUT as has been said before you are at university to study. From my experience it works out best for people with fewer contact hours at uni as those people have more time flexibility for going away for whole days or overnight. If your course has lots of contact hours then it can be alot harder to find the time. Just remember that you can't keep doing UAS if you get kicked out of uni!

smith
22nd Aug 2008, 20:26
I tend to disagree with the above posts, university is not all about studying, in fact I'd say its about maturing, expanding your horizons and learning new experiences as you prepare for aduly life. I'd say studying took about 25% of my free time at Uni and I managed a 2.1, just missing a first.

If you look at the Uni notice boards there are a plethora of clubs ranging from Drama groups to UAS to ski clubs, the list is endless, each faculty has their own groups and organise a variety of social occasions throughout the semesters.

I was in the university ski club, football team and a member of our faculty social committee organising day trips to Alton Towers, Glen Shee for skiing and a whole load of other stuff.

A full time course is now regarded as 20 or over classroom hours with self study making up the rest of the course. Please don't go to Uni and stick your head in a book 24/7, you will be missing out on a lot of great times and great experiences which you won't get when you start working 9-5. You will have more than enough time to study and join the UAS and hopefully many other clubs and societies and attend numerous student parties. Get the most you can from your university life both academically and socially, if you don't you'll regret it for the rest of your life, I still look back at UNI as one of the best times of my life and I didn't do a traffic cone on head kebab down trousers degree either.

Upshot of this is, don't be a bookworm, its not what university is about!

preduk
22nd Aug 2008, 20:42
Doing a law degree at the moment and it's not too demanding in terms of studying. Smith is correct, there is a lot of free time but it's about balancing the free time with the studying.

Last year I done far too much free time and had a resit sadly, but UAS should be fine, most students I know on my course get wasted most weekends anyway! ;)