PDA

View Full Version : 3hr Transfer time at LHR

Mr Mac
18th Aug 2008, 16:50
I was surprised to find that we who travel into LHR now have to leave 3hrs for transfer rather than the 2hrs previously required. I and my company no longer use either BA (London Airways) or LHR after problems in the past and therefore have not had to use either in the last 12 months, but recently having had to go to Nairobi urgently I was left with little option but to use both carrier and LHR and was very surprised that I could not use the BA flight with out an overnight in London. Then I found that I could use Virgin Atlantic on this route who,s flight I could make(who have proved to be very good) but I am still a little amazed at this, as it does bar those coming from outside London from all ongoing early flights, never mind that we have to spend 5hrs in airports before leaving the UK !. You have to wonder how much longer LHR can continue with this kind of prolonged transit times given the options to change elsewhere in Europe or Mid / Far East for those outside London :(?.

Aksai Oiler
19th Aug 2008, 07:41
Where did 3 hrs come from ? I'm surprised, because I transitted LHR on Friday on my way from Jerez to Luanda without a problem (T2 to T4), even managed to get a swig of shampoo in the 1st Class Lounge and do some last minute shopping. Official transit time was 1 hr 50 mins.

I even got my bags the other end too which was very shocking :}

raffele
19th Aug 2008, 09:22
Not quite sure where you got 3 hours from either. The longest transfer time at LHR for passengers using BA (British Airways, not London Airways - they operate elsewhere in the UK you know) is 120 minutes - 2 hours - and in reality, unless the airport is completely packed, you're going to get through in much less time. The 3 hour transfer time you mention is if you're transferring between LHR and LGW.

Mr Mac
22nd Aug 2008, 11:26
The 3hrs was quoted by BA and by Virgin so I guess its BAA who have introduced it, but I do not know when. Also last weekend tried to book flight via LHR to be told the same thing about 3hr transfer from terminal 1 to 5. Will check further though in light of your comments.

BHX_SLF
22nd Aug 2008, 15:13
I have to respond to Raffele's point ...... :=

BA IS London Airways ........ "they fly elsewhere in the UK you know" ....... yes correct ......to and from London ONLY.

By the end of this year, BA will have no other point to point flights from the UK except to/from LHR/LGW/LCY. That to me makes BA = London Airways.

Mr Mac
23rd Aug 2008, 09:04
Thank you BHX for backing me up on the London Airways issue. Have also found out that the 3hr transfer at LHR is to do with type of ticket ie if going on holiday and using tour operator they now require a 3hr transfer, but if booked through airline then 2hrs ok. This all came about recently whith the terminal 5 problems when people missed flights and tour operators had to pay to get them on other aircraft / airline. So no problem for business travel apart from normal hassel, but be aware when going on hols when using tour operator booked flights as it can cause problems if not London based:D.