PDA

View Full Version : US Military Build-Up in the Gulf

Farrell
18th Aug 2008, 13:11
The US have had a very busy weekend shifting hardware and putting on a great show for Iran.

Even the FMN Rafales are nesting on the Roosevelt.

Everyone scampering around here as well.

I wonder if this is all going to kick off soon?

brickhistory
18th Aug 2008, 15:05
I wonder if this is all going to kick off soon?

Tuesday, 1800Z. But shhhh, you didn't hear it from me, right?!

Even the FMN Rafales are nesting on the Roosevelt.

I can think of nothing that better proves the case for impending military action than to have foreign, unfamiliar jets aboard my carrier. What with the spares/specific munitions/logistics required to operate such jets, it makes perfect sense to launch a deck load strike including Rafales.

Or it could be interoperability trials which are fairly routine procedure to practice.

Nah, it's gotta be the 'big show.'

Bill Woodfull
18th Aug 2008, 15:09
Musharraf has pulled the pin. A US sycophant has given way to what??? Iran and nukes? You now have a nuclear warhead equipped country and a power vacuum. Couldn't see this coming eh?

airship
18th Aug 2008, 15:31
I understand that the US State Dept / DOD are even now as I post, scampering literally all over the place in order to secure overflight rights to Iranian airspace in order to secure Pakistan...?! I always thought the next target was Iran, presumably though, if there's going to be an invasion of Pakistan on the cards now, any small incursion of Israel into Iranian territory will have to be put well back...?! :confused:

Hey, brick, me olde mate...?! Always wondered why the USN (or Dassault) for that matter would ever choose to have these aircraft operatiing in this manner. Knowing just how much the French are envious of US naval assets, I can only assume that there are major delivery problems involving (some of the JSF variants). If there are Rafales currently operating off the Roosevelt right now, perhaps it's because the USN may well have to order a few (if only to appease Nicholas Sarkozy and the way he's so endearingly accomodated US interests' lately by bending over so far backwards that for a moment, a lot of the French confused him with a Romanian gymnast (I forget her name)...?! Just like the UK might have to change their new carrier flight decks, because of important delays in deliveries of the corresponding JSFs...?! Inshallah, as they're wont to say in those parts...:D

brickhistory
18th Aug 2008, 15:35
It's obviously well after 1700 somewhere.....

RatherBeFlying
18th Aug 2008, 15:36
They better do it fast. After the Georgia fiasco, I suspect Russia will be selling Iran their latest anti-aircraft and anti-shipping missiles.

Sinking a carrier would have an impact equivalent to Midway.

Farrell
18th Aug 2008, 15:43
LOL - thank you folks......the panic merchants here in the ME are watching all this with breaths held.

The Rafales are on the Roosevelt because the CDG is in dry-dock.

airship:......Nadia Comaneci

http://www.gerovital.co.ro/nadia6ret.jpg

she looks nothing like Sark..

airship
18th Aug 2008, 16:05
The Rafales are on the Roosevelt because the CDG is in dry-dock. So, why not base them in Djibouti? Or even in the latest Arab Emirate to welcome a foreign (French) military base...?! Or is France chartering the Roosevelt (how much does that cost one wonders) - I know of a 31 day charter of an 80m luxury yacht which cost the American individual €50,000/day + fuel + provisions etc. for his 12 guests. Can't be many around the globe that can spend €1,550,000 plus expenses plus tips (usually 20% in addition) outside of government or 'those with their hands in govenment', so to speak...?! :uhoh:

larssnowpharter
18th Aug 2008, 16:08
True or not one has never understood why Western nations try to impose their ideal of govmint on Eastern nations. Ain'y worked in the past, won't work in the future.

airship
18th Aug 2008, 16:26
Not entirely sure what that photo has to do with anything Farrell...?! :confused:

Whatever, my commiserations to the French Rafale crews currently soujourning on the Roosevelt: No wine to go with their frog's legs at mealtime...?! They must feel that the Taleban have already won the war...?! :uhoh: :E

Farrell
18th Aug 2008, 17:10
airship: the photo is of the romanian gymnast - well, that is how she looks now!

this is how she looked then:

http://www.ontrack4gold.com/gallery/STAR-COMANECI_Nadia_1976_Olympic.jpg

brickhistory
18th Aug 2008, 17:53
Farrell:

Yowza!

Ms. K. certainly gives lie to the stereotype of Eastern European women's looks heading south after age 30.

con-pilot
18th Aug 2008, 18:44
I will now post on the only factual subject on this entire thread.

Nadia Comaneci lives in Oklahoma now. Bet ya didn't know that? :p

(I haven't met her, seen her though, short little thing she is. Very pretty in any case.)

Okay, you lot can go back to conspiracies and speculation now. :ok:

(airship)

Matari
18th Aug 2008, 20:56
Brick:

Ms. K. certainly gives lie to the stereotype of Eastern European women's looks heading south after age 30.

Not to drift this thread any more, but I can't resist posting a pic of my favorite eastern block olympic champion, Katarina Witt...(and she too has aged quite well IMHO).

(Mods, sorry, maybe this topic deserves a thread of its own!)

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd332/bulamatari/katarina-witt5.jpg

airship
18th Aug 2008, 21:36
Contact! Both. Contact! Splutter...

(Must have forgotten to open the throttle...?!) :O

West Coast
19th Aug 2008, 00:03
Airship

One could be led to believe your field of expertise isn't in naval operations. Cross decking is quite normal Look at the link and find one F18 landing on one French Carrier. When a carrier is outside of blue water ops, and outside of a tactical exclusion area, foreigners are welcome. Hell, the Argies are regulars on the boat, didn't you fight them a number of years back before defecting to France?

As far as buying them, haaa. Already have an airframe far superior, the F18E/F. The Rafale suffered from the not a pound for air to ground disease till Dassault was introduced to the term multi role.

You speaking of the ETD?

estimated troll date. Happens to a lot of the Latin ladies as well.

GrumpyOldFart
19th Aug 2008, 00:40
Here's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamara_Press)one whose looks could only have gone north with the years. And - good grief - s/he's 71 now!

:ooh:

Piccy (http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files_athletics/PRESS_Tamara_19660617_EL_L.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sporting-heroes.net/athletics-heroes/displayhero.asp%3FHeroID%3D6256&h=1128&w=840&sz=170&tbnid=eASfCpGR5QMJ::&tbnh=150&tbnw=112&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtamara%2Bpress&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image&cd=1)

Corrected while you were posting, Con. Do you have to be so darn quick?!

con-pilot
19th Aug 2008, 00:43
Jerry, that link is worthless without pictures! :p

(Although after reading the link I may not want to see any pictues of the lady (?) in question. :ooh:)

Ah ha, a picture. :ok:

Oh god, I think I may have dated her once. :{

brickhistory
19th Aug 2008, 00:52
You speaking of the ETD?

estimated troll date. Happens to a lot of the Latin ladies as well.

"2"...................

Devlin Carnet
19th Aug 2008, 12:18
Oh god, I think I may have dated her once.

...What, Carbon dated?

Capt.Grumpy
19th Aug 2008, 13:34

Shit, I think I gnawed my arm off to get away from her or her twin sister years ago. Bloody hell the hair on the back of my neck just stood up when I thought about it. :(

West Coast
19th Aug 2008, 16:23

Con, con, con. I certainly hope you had your beer goggles on.

She is most definately a 10...

On the Richter scale

merlinxx
19th Aug 2008, 16:49
As couzin Kenny would Super Mega FUGLY squared. I opened this pick around 0330LT this morn, couldn't get back to sleep, went for a hike, still shaking as I think I know it (long time ago in ATL), OOOO shite:suspect::(:{

con-pilot
19th Aug 2008, 16:51
Con, con, con. I certainly hope you had your beer goggles on.

It was more like Scotch goggles and in my defense it was a long, long, long time ago. Like a really long time ago. :O

(To be honest I really don't think it was her, at least I hope not. But hey, you're out of the country for while, a whiskey front moves in and stagnates , well..............:()

airship
19th Aug 2008, 17:51
What President Sarkozy (or rather, the French population in general that he ostensibly represents) might wish to know (especially in view of France's latest losses in Afghanistan yesterday (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7569942.stm), is just how far do (or should) they go along with NATO's (or the more general Anglo-Saxon coalition's vision[/I) concerning events there?! Most French people assume that[I] but for some happy and lucky circumstances, the French and NATO together would today be engaged in some thermo-nuclear exchange with the ex. Soviet-Union (read Russia) over some minor disfunctional democracy (read Georgia). Depending on whose propaganda you choose to believe in. Whatever, so far as the French (or at least I myself) are concerned, there need be no World War III as a consequence of some new western-backed ex. Soviet statesman of a hitherto unknown state choosing to behave in an unbecoming fashion.

The very suggestion that Georgia might have been seriously considered to joining NATO is quite ridiculous. And may I suggest it, if Georgia's leaders were somehow convinced that their recent actions would be reinforced or otherwise approbated, well folks, just join the (very long) list of all those States, freedom fighters (or terrorists) depending on where you stand, ever since the USA left S. Vietnam to fend for herself back whenever that was.

You never learn do you? Or more accurately, expect that we're going to treat the apparently improvised and poorly-thought out strategies of what is a non-performing democracy such as is the case with Georgia today as if it was some remnant of the Austro-Hungarian empire of the early 20th Century...?!

My advice to you would be to get rid of your extremist and obviously incompetent leader/s. Look towards the EU, less towards NATO. The EU can give you access to free markets, and some basis of negotiation with the Russians (the EU depends on Russian oil and gas). Dependence on the Americans will incur severe costs and penalties. Beginning with the fact that whatever close relationship Georgia had with the USA han't amounted to very much. So, choose the EU (and the requirement for the EU to treat Russia as a respected and fully-fledged partner), or the USA, who will never shy away from subjecting your country and circumstances from the full application of what they at least, would call justice. Maybe, as Georgians, you should ask whatever happened to all the South Vietnamese once the Arericans decided to say goodbye?

PS. All the propaganda (and I've read some horrific examples of it even in the Economist last week) that compares the Russia of today with the ex. Soviet Union deserves to be regarded as the trash it undoubtedly is, authored by contributors whose names are never attributed to these articles.

If the EU, NATO, the Americans have an axe to grind over Georgia, may I remind (them) and you all, that there is a perfectly acceptable battleground available in the Darfur region of the Sudan. For some strange reason however, none of the usual protagonists wish to seriously invoke NATO, Human rights, whatever else (take your pick), they're just not interested ...?!

So Georgians, take a ticket and join the queue...?! :ok::uhoh:

con-pilot
19th Aug 2008, 18:07
Airship, now you've gone and done it, you ruined a perfectly good thread. :=

We were talking about female (?) gymnastics performers that shave more than I do. :p

(We were talking about the pretty ones until we got to the ugly ones.)

Besides that you didn't mention the Gulf one time, not even the Gulf of Mexico.

dazdaz
19th Aug 2008, 19:10
Con-Pilot and all posters, I think we should disengage of the posts relating to young gymnasts. Garry is on his way back to the UK:eek:

Daz

dazdaz
19th Aug 2008, 21:16
10pm news bulletin has announced Garry is not on his way back to the UK at the moment. he's had a heart attack. Poor dear:}

Daz.

airship
19th Aug 2008, 22:14
One is compelled almost to empathise with Mr. Gadd's predicament. Once back in the UK, he will be faced with either further imprisonment or subjected to a very close watch one presumes. He had better get used to the fact that in the west, it may be OK to look (even salivate or otherwise, in private), but it is verbotten to touch. There are probably millions 'out there' who suffer from similar compulsions yet never attempt to act out these latent tendencies. Of course, we (modern society, that is), prefer to think of all such aberrations as both abnormal and rare. Which brings us back to the subject of Romanian (or other) gymnasts. My question is, why do we so enjoy watching them perform and, most importantly, how come even those gymnasts over 18 never appear to have much to show off 'up top'...?! :confused:

PS. Very glad that tropical storm Fay which came up through the Gulf and has now hit SW Florida didn't escalate into a hurricane. That should please c-p...?!

PPS. Thunder and lightning making its presence felt locally at the moment. I hope we get some rain too...:ok:

West Coast
19th Aug 2008, 22:44
Look towards the EU

Other than a financial impact, I'm at a loss to figure out anything positive the EU can offer.

less towards NATO

The only Euro (at least in part) organization that has accomplished anything beyond talking about a situation in recent history. Took an American President, but NATO sacked up when the UN and the EU failed.

some basis of negotiation with the Russians

Just not one that approaches negotiation on an equal standing, but rather a default policy of appeasement because: the EU depends on Russian oil and gas

Dependence on the Americans will incur severe costs and penalties.

Yet the former East bloc countries tend to have a robust relationship with the US. Perhaps it has to do with reluctance from old Europe for admission, abuse of its workers and a disdain of it's immigrants. I guess it at least gets the Irish off the bottom wrung of the EU pecking order.

The very suggestion that Georgia might have been seriously considered to joining NATO is quite ridiculous

Well it sure as hell won't now. It's radioactive as far as NATO and the EU are concerned. No admission now as it might be seen as thumbing the Russians who can turn the spigot off at will.

If the EU, NATO, the Americans have an axe to grind over Georgia, may I remind (them) and you all, that there is a perfectly acceptable battleground available in the Darfur region

The EU can't agree on something as minor (once you subtract the ego and pride of the issue) as a common currency. No chance it will find the moral courage to head to Africa. NATO had to have the US kick them and the EU in the ass to stop genocide in Europe, no chance they'll act outside the confines of Euroland. It would have already if the collective will existed.
The US is a bit busy, but please do make up your mind. Are we the worlds policeman or not? You tell Georgia to stay away from the US as we're unreliable, yet you want us in Darfur. Sheesh.

airship
19th Aug 2008, 22:54
You wanna go into Darfur, who's stopping you? Sheeesh indeed...?!

Cause havoc and mayhem, just so long as it's all really far away from home...isn't that finally, the official US foreign policy today...?! :zzz:

con-pilot
19th Aug 2008, 23:00
Cause havoc and mayhem, just so long as it's all really far away from home...isn't that finally, the official US foreign policy today...?!

No. :zzz::oh::hmm::=:bored::ugh::rolleyes:

:p

con-pilot
19th Aug 2008, 23:03
Cause havoc and mayhem, just so long as it's all really far away from home...isn't that finally, the official US foreign policy today...?!

Yes. :ok::}:):D;):O:E:suspect:

:p

(I refuse to let this thread get serious.)

brickhistory
19th Aug 2008, 23:12

It's been policy a little longer than today.

What's that song, umm, George Cohen, ummm, right, "Over There."

I hope you enjoy your French wine or imported Scotch. I wonder why the label's not in German or Russian.......

airship
20th Aug 2008, 00:40
It's silly isn't it.? Here I am in the land of the French vines, yet I never buy the stuff (apart from the odd 1/2l to add to the casserole. Yet, in the USA, we had all those rich (but distraught) Americans who ostensibly bought expensive French wines only to empty them into the sewers...in order to demonstrate their anger and disdain towards the French cheese-eating surrender-monkeys. Nowadays, if anyone cared to conduct a poll, fully 99% of Americans who previously poured their expensive French wines down the sink would probably acknowledge that they weren't being very sensible.

In my own case (sic), if I were a wine drinker as opposed to being a consumer of cheap Scotch, I believe I'd have to consume at least 3 or 4 times the volume of Scotch at each PPRuNe session. Red and rosé give me the runs, white wine gives me a headache. So I stick with the cheap Scotch. I also prefer to remain neutral as far as possible. And the Scots never invaded anyone for their oil wealth (though one might accuse the Scots for liberating the spirits...:suspect:) :zzz: Yes, time for bed. The evil spirits will be free to do their dastardly deeds! G'nite brick...;)

nahsuD
20th Aug 2008, 01:10

Well, it would have been, before it hadn't been if Kerry was president:confused::confused::ugh::{:ooh:

con-pilot
20th Aug 2008, 01:28
Yet, in the USA, we had all those rich (but distraught) Americans who ostensibly bought expensive French wines only to empty them into the sewers...in order to demonstrate their anger and disdain towards the French cheese-eating surrender-monkeys. Nowadays, if anyone cared to conduct a poll, fully 99% of Americans who previously poured their expensive French wines down the sink would probably acknowledge that they weren't being very sensible.

Naw, the real reason was that they discovered that the less expensive Californian wine was highly superior to the expensive French grape juice that has alcohol added to it. So they poured the French stuff out into the sewer from whence it came.

And dat's de truth it tis. :p

BlueWolf
20th Aug 2008, 04:23
The French DO still make good wine, just not all of it, or all the time. I have had good French wine. Good French wine tends to be very expensive, though that's no guarantee that expensive French wine will necessarily be any good. There is plenty of French wine on sale out there which is overpriced, over-rated, and riddled with basic (and in my view inexcusable) winemaking faults.

Case in point last week, the local bottle shop was doing a tasting promo on a new Froggie label. The girl behind the counter eagerly sought one's opinion on the Shiraz and the Cabernet...so for her benefit I opined that the Shiraz was overoaked and the Cab was green. Somewhat piqued, she protested that for $20 a bottle it was "still good value, because it's real French wine."

"Yeah, but for $20 I can get two bottles of Aussie red, which will be actually good wine, which this isn't," says me.

Then I bought a flagon of cheap port for $16 for making Gluwein :p:D

West Coast
20th Aug 2008, 04:30
Nowadays, if anyone cared to conduct a poll, fully 99% of Americans who previously poured their expensive French wines down the sink would probably acknowledge that they weren't being very sensible.

Actually no. You under estimate the dislike of the French in the US. Even those who didn't support the invasion or changed opinions would pour the French wine out just for general purpose.

Go pour some Coca Cola down the drain, as down in the dumps as you sound it might give you a lift.

frostbite
20th Aug 2008, 12:25
"Go pour some Coca Cola down the drain"

But before you do, soak some old tarnished cutlery in it - it will come up like new.

Then reflect on its influence on your gut.

GrumpyOldFart
20th Aug 2008, 17:18
In view of the increased level of sabre-rattling, France's leading flag factory is reportedly hiring more production staff. They have also ordered vast quantities of plain white material.

Lon More
20th Aug 2008, 20:47
Must be serious. They're sending in the big hitters

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/217/520731681_50e3507c74.jpg?v=0