PDA

View Full Version : Back into Computing...

FireDragon
7th Dec 2000, 00:06
Hi all

I know this is not strictly a 'computer problem' question, but hope someone can offer some advice:
I am an ex-software tutor - (use to work freelance, and at Llandrillo College in North Wales). I've also worked in a computer/software support environment.
The trouble is, I gave it all up 3 years ago to go and work as cabin crew! The idea of this was to try and get into flying through a different door, as I did a PPL.
I now regret this, and feel that my brain is dying off - can ANYBODY give any advice as to how to get back into teaching? (I've had a few tries, but it seems they don't want to know, because I've been 'out of the game' for this length of time.
Cheers all!

fobotcso
7th Dec 2000, 13:56
I really don't know enough to suggest/advise anything as you're already way ahead of me in software. There isn't much detail about what kind of teaching you're after, but it occurs to me that you may have to go back to school yourself to become current in your speciality or in an new one. I know that Adult Education is always after folk who'll teach in evenings. But you may need a "Certificate" of some kind.

These days, IT is moving at a heck of a rate. I'm surprised that there isn't some college that would want you. Perhaps, with DofEE rules, you have to have a teaching qualification different to the one(s) you have. Anyway, good luck. Mr F.

Flypuppy
7th Dec 2000, 18:06
Have you considered working for a software company as a Training consultant or as a Technical Writer? Drop me a line if this is something that you may be interested in.

Mycroft
8th Dec 2000, 01:12
As someone in an FE environment (but fixing them, not teaching) colleges are cerying out for people to teach, particularly in adult ed . It is even the basic CLAIT / stage1 that is most in demand, and if you can offer a speciality so much the better. Although is is useful to have a Cert Ed, it is not vital for post 16, and although money is relatively low £20-25 ph with no holiday pay you 3 years out od ed should not be a major prob - MS products haven't changed that much, and most colleges will still be teaching Office 97.