PDA

View Full Version : Getting Your Foot In The Aircraft Maintenance Door

aircraftinfo
18th Aug 2008, 08:45
I duly apologise if there are similar threads on this issue (more than happy to read them), but I would like to ask anybody out there to help me in trying to get my foot in the door of an aircraft maintenance company.

Currently I am a graduate of aerospace engineering and after a brief time off after uni, would like to know what is the best way to become an aircraft maintenance engineer.

During my time at uni, I realised that the degree I was obtaining was not for me, but being so late in the course, stuck at it and in the end obtained a degree, but I realised afterwards that I was more practically minded than theoretically minded like the degree that I hold.

After talking to a few careers advisors (one actually is a society i shall not name) an apprentice course sounded a good way of getting in. But I have doubts as to wheather it can not only train me for a licence but also a job.

After reading the CAA's licencing manual; to obtain a licence in the broadest of terms, you need two things: 1. practical experince and 2. theoretical experience.

I have intentions of a B1 licence, and within the document it says that if you have a UK bachelors degree (which I have) you may be elegible to obtain your licence if you can only prove the practical experince.

I would like to ask everyone if this is a good way to start and if there is also other ways of entering this particular industry... I have asked other people/companies out there and is waiting for replies... Also I am slightly concerned a company would snub me for being too old for an apprentice course, I'm 23.

Groundloop
18th Aug 2008, 13:47
Most airline engineering departments or MRO's will recruit graduates - so you shouldn't need to do an apprenticeship. However it would take some time before you could get a licence.

Certainly BA's engineering department used to sponsor students on engineering degree courses - but not for a few years now!!!

aircraftinfo
18th Aug 2008, 15:12
Thanks for the reply Groundloop :ok:. But I am in the unfortune situation where my degree is class less and many companies simply would not touch me with a barge pole.

However digging a little bit more in the appreticeship schemes around the country, there is a need in some companies (currently eyeing with AugustaWestland and Marshall Aerospace) and with training along with it.