PDA

View Full Version : Never mind the cane

BlueWolf
17th Aug 2008, 21:54
Don't mess with any teachers in Texas ... - 18 Aug 2008 - NZ Herald: World / International News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10527526)

World StoryRSS--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't mess with any teachers in Texas ...
5:00AM Monday August 18, 2008
By Paul Harris

Things just got even tougher in Texas.

The Lone Star state, which prides itself on its macho Western cowboy image, is now to have the first school district in America in which teachers can carry concealed guns.

The tiny community of Harrold, in the far north of the state, has recently approved a local decision that allows its teachers to bring firearms to school to protect against possible shootings. So when the school reopens after the long northern summer holiday, any of the college's 50 or so staff could bring pistols to their classrooms.

The decision is likely to provoke uproar in other parts of America and will shock gun control advocates, who argue that teachers with guns in class actually escalate the chance of a shooting.

However, those arguments have cut little ice with the authorities in the Harrold school district. They are worried that a steady stream of shootings in schools and colleges in America will reach their small, isolated region. Although that seems unlikely, school shootings are a real problem in America. Last month, three people were wounded at a shooting in Phoenix, Arizona.

Local officials have argued that the single campus in their 110-student district is too far away from a sheriff's office if there were an emergency. They have also said that a nearby main road might increase the chances of a dangerous gunman attacking the school.

In a local newspaper interview, David Thweatt, the superintendent of the Harrold Independent School District, defended the decision and said keeping guns out of schools was more dangerous than having them in.

"When the federal Government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves? That's like saying 'sic em' to a dog," Thweatt told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

- OBSERVER

Brilliant :ok:

Arm out the window
18th Aug 2008, 00:11
If the kids've got 'em, I suppose it's fair enough to say the teachers should be allowed to carry guns too, but holy crap! What sort of a f****d-up world is it where this sort of thing happens?
I'd be home schooling my kids if the teachers here were allowed to be 'packing heat'!

'Johnny, where's your homework?'
Click.
'None of yer damn business, Mr Loser.'
'You call that a gun?' (Click) 'Now this is a gun!'

con-pilot
18th Aug 2008, 02:06
If the kids've got 'em, I suppose it's fair enough to say the teachers should be allowed to carry guns too, but holy crap! What sort of a f****d-up world is it where this sort of thing happens?

Before you criticize the United States too much, I suggest that you need to worry about what is going in your back yard.

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/339558-gatecrashers-flee-whip-wielding-dad.html

I see no room for criticism from down there.

Arm out the window
18th Aug 2008, 02:53
The fact that it's the US is irrelevant - kids shouldn't bring guns to school and teachers shouldn't be authorised to do so either, in my view. I think that's crazy.

I didn't criticise the US in particular, as you seem to assert, just the sad state of affairs whereby this kind of thing could happen anywhere.

Re the whip story - I don't see the parallel between a man ejecting violent gatecrashers from his home with a whip, and the sanctioning of guns in school, but so what? Neither is a good thing, and whether it's America, Australia or Azerbaijan, I wouldn't want my kids involved in it.

Standard Noise
18th Aug 2008, 05:28
Spare the rod and shoot the child...........mmm, I like it!
Might be an idea in certain British cities that one.:E

Rightbase
18th Aug 2008, 07:55
How would the prosecution prove beyond reasonable doubt that the the result of using less force would have been acceptable?

Loose rivets
18th Aug 2008, 11:06
I'm not sure that a county can override the state policy on when concealed weapons can or can not be carried. You certainly can not pick your child up from school while carrying.

Perhaps this policy will be tested in court.

con-pilot
18th Aug 2008, 18:57
I'm not sure that a county can override the state policy on when concealed weapons can or can not be carried.

Good question LR. In the US after the recent decision by the Supreme Court with the very restrictive Washington DC gun ban being declared Un-Constitutional, it would appear that could be true. However, the Court's decision did not address concealed weapons, so I would assume that means that the choice of allowing the carrying of concealed weapons a State issue.

As far I can tell, no one has challenged any State's law to allow carrying concealed weapons. I believe that Florida was the first state to pass a law allowing the carrying of a concealed weapon quite a fews years ago, that law has never been challenged past the state level. Well, that I know of.