PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing downloads

Aerienne
12th Nov 2001, 16:18
First of all forgive me for my lack of knowledge in all things tech related, this problem is a fairly basic problem. Said problem is that I can't seem to install downloads from the net. I get this far...Click on download (ensuring is compatable with my browser etc), click on run from current location etc. When download is down am asked it I wish to install. When I click yes a box with stop sign pops up saying "Cannot find C/WINDOWS/TEMPFILE/ etc..." Anyone able to help this luddite? Thanks

malanda
12th Nov 2001, 17:36
Does this happen with all downloads or just one? Can you post us a URL that shows the problem? What browser (type & version) and what version of Windows are you using? (I'm assuming it IS Windows...)

henry crun
13th Nov 2001, 11:38
Aerienne, I don't know whether or not this will help you but as a fellow computer luddite I find Gozilla ( free off the net )
very handy.

It will search for the fastest download if there are mirror sites, resume interupted downloads, etc.

When the download is complete you can auto unzip with it if necessary, and when ready just click on the 'Install' button and voila. You can install in the suggested file or insert your own.

RW-1
15th Nov 2001, 02:05
>>click on run from current location etc. <<

Quit that! :D

Choose save to disk, place it on your desktop and run after in has downloaded.

most executables can't be ran on the webserver you are grabbing them from, hence the assorted errors.

Download to your system, then run, and you shalt be rewarded.

Squiddley
16th Nov 2001, 09:05
I save all downloads to a folder called "Downloads", making them easy to locate. They also show up on "My documents" on the start menu if you do this. (Applies to wherever you save to.) This is handy for if/when you have to reformat, as you can easily burn off a backup of the whole folder for later use.

It's also handy to have a folder to unzip into, as locating "temp" is a pain each time.

Good luck.