PDA

View Full Version : Powervamp GPU

jonwilson
17th Aug 2008, 19:30
Hi all,

just a quicky.

I noticed a powervamp external power cart currently on ebay but do not know much about these.

Can any of you tell me whether the Powervamp's are good or not. I looked on their site for info, they are not the cheapest batteries I have seen.

I appreciate any info given.

Regards,

Jon.

VeeAny
17th Aug 2008, 20:19
Powervamp kit does what it says on the tin in my experience.

Their MD is an approachable chap, I am sure they would probably service it / change the batteries if needed, and they are not too far away from you in Devon, they are located (or they were) in Weston Super Mare.

Not cheap, but always worked when I've needed them.

GS

Clitheroe Kid
18th Aug 2008, 08:01
I have a Coolspool 17 which i bought from Powervamp. Always use it the first start of the day in cold weather, or when the engine hasn't run for a couple of weeks. Will start 100 degrees cooler and much faster.

jonwilson
18th Aug 2008, 11:25
Thanks Veeany and Clitheroe K,

amazing what you can find on Ebay. I think I may have a punt.

Regards,

Jon.

oldbeefer
18th Aug 2008, 19:24
We use Powervamps all the time and they are great. The only snag I can see with the one on ebay is that it does not have a built in generator to maintain the battery condition. Not a problem if only used to start 1 or 2 aircraft and then back onto trickle charge, though. Do check carefully the cost of genuine new batteries as the existing ones sound as though they are shot.

jonwilson
18th Aug 2008, 20:41
Thanks Oldbeefer,

it would be used to start a turbine heli sometimes after being left dormant for a while.
I spoke to powervamp today who do service the units and replace batteries when necessary essentially making the unit as good as new the cost of which would still make the ebay unit a good deal provided it does not go for a silly price.

oldbeefer
19th Aug 2008, 07:47
Good luck with the auction!

md 600 driver
19th Aug 2008, 17:15
its going up ive been outbid a few times now
just seen this thread that might be the reason

jonwilson
19th Aug 2008, 20:52
Going up, it sure is.

I was going to go to about £500 because even though the batteries may need overhauling the dual battery unit with integral charger seems a beauty. For my single engine a single unit would do but I must admit 2 would be nice.

MD600Driver I will not outbid you. I am not that much of a ba**ard. Hope you win it. Have you thought of offering a buy it now to prevent it going up even more!

Nite.

Hover Bovver
20th Aug 2008, 09:28
Ooops,
Sorry MD600, That will be me , only just seen this thread! If you want it I wont bid any more (£790) As we have one already( just wanted it for our other LS, but can do without it) so will not bid any further.
Sorry
HB

md 600 driver
23rd Aug 2008, 19:55
i am definately out now i was bidder 3 at £950 feel free to bid if you want it thanks anyway

bidder 5 is 970

steve

Hover Bovver
24th Aug 2008, 08:59
Steve,
Not worth anymore, judging by the pictures the batteries are shot (showing 11 volts, should be 26+) and with the cost of new batteries it would be cheaper to buy a new one (nearly !)
Regards
HB

md 600 driver
24th Aug 2008, 13:55
well it sold for 1045 to heliduster

if you didnt know who he is heres a clue

it is is where you may stop for fuel north of hexham and also whos mrs makes the best flapjack ever