PDA

View Full Version : Terrorist attacks using RPG's the Government would rather you didn't hear about

Two's in
17th Aug 2008, 20:23
How can the IRA (be it the Provisional, Real, Low-fat, new-improved varieties) be firing off weapons in Ulster when they have all been handed in to Tony? Surely some mistake.

BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | Police attacked by rocket grenade (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7566334.stm)

A rocket-propelled grenade was fired at a foot patrol in Lisnaskea at about 2300 BST on Saturday. It failed to explode.

Foss
17th Aug 2008, 20:34
It was buried on local news here. Nothing surprising about that, what was more surprising they managed to set the getaway car on fire in torrential rain.
But that's the way it goes, the weather was the bigger story.

However, imagine if someone fired a rocket at you and it was beaten down the news schedules because of heavy rain.

Didn't even mention political expediency.

tony draper
17th Aug 2008, 23:28
There are probably hundreds if not thousands of bits of unofficial ordnance buried in back gardens or stashed in garden sheds, for insurance, just in case as it were.
:uhoh:

corsair
17th Aug 2008, 23:46
The 'Real IRA' are not on a ceasefire. They haven't handed in any weapons. Not only that they insensitively or deliberately picked the anniversary of the Omagh bomb, a 'Real IRA' atrocity, to stage the attack.

They are just a small bunch of diehard holdouts and have become increasingly irrelevant. It doesn't mean they aren't dangerous though. But it would be mischevious indeed to use their activities to push the agenda that that the peace process isn't working.

Standard Noise
18th Aug 2008, 02:36
And the b**tards did it on the day some of the families in Omagh were marking the tenth anniversary of that atrocity.
They haven't gone away you know, despite the cack that Phoney Blair came out with.

Mind you, that was some rain, news footage of the Broadway Underpass getting a bit wet has gotta be more interesting than anything that happens in Lisnaskea.:}

Foss
18th Aug 2008, 11:27
Tiny thread drift.
The local continuity announcer came on tv, '...and more news on at 10 o'clock BBC1, later on Top Gear they're going to find the best road in Europe to drive on, if they come to Northern Ireland they better bring a submarine.'

Two's in
So far this year there have been at least half a dozen planned attacks on members of the security forces, some involving multiple targets, but they all failed. So they just don't have the news legs to make any headlines.

ShyTorque
20th Aug 2008, 00:16
Lisnaskea? Doesn't surprise me. I was convinced every time I visited that's where my time on this earth was going to end. Used to detest going to the place. :uhoh: