PDA

View Full Version : Apache Dawn

thirtymill
17th Aug 2008, 19:08
Just bought a great book called Apache Dawn, written by Damien Lewis but written from interviews and war diaries by Apache pilots and ground forces during the spring offensive in Afghanistan 2007. The book is not centred on an individual which is refreshing. It is centric on a flight of Apache but also involves the other members of the squadron including groundcrew and REME, infantry soldiers and the RAF Chinook crews. The book promises that some of the royalties are to go to the Help For Heros Charity which is a great gesture. Since picking up the book I have not been able to put it down; great job! Recommend it to all.

There are some excellent comments from the infantry soldiers that owe their lives to the Apache crews. Jugroom fort is mentioned in the prolouge although the soldiers in this book were not there the accounts have been scrutinised by the MOD and released. It makes interesting reading but only whet my appetite for the main body of the book that as I have already said was fantastic and made me want to get back to the AH programme and away from the bone job I now find myself in!!! Well done guys great story and keep up the good work :ok:

fayslag
25th Aug 2008, 16:02
Good effort lads - good read. Those that want a copy - it's £10 in tescos!

SPIT
25th Aug 2008, 16:26
Hi
I fgot a copy on FRI but I have not yt been able to read it but with the comments I have heard I am really looking forward to this book :ok::ok:

SPIT
25th Aug 2008, 16:29
PS PLEASE EXCUSE the TYPO'S in the prev post (it looks as though it has come from the home for the BEFFUDLED and the BEWILDERED). :confused::confused::ok:

The Apprentice
25th Aug 2008, 19:51
Well Done Lads,

Cracking book very realistic and surprisingly honest, good job lads.

If you ever wondered what life is like for Apache crews in AFG then this is your book.

Come on Chinook crews you should match this.

Pure Pursuit
25th Aug 2008, 20:27
Great read!

Thoroughly enjoyed the book & having not long been back from theatre, I wish I had read it out there.

Popped in to see the AH & SH guys a few times during my tour, top people with some incredible stories, which they always told with a ridiculous level of modesty! Clearly not from the same school of egos that the F3 guys attend!;)

Hats off to 'em all.:D

chopper2004
26th Aug 2008, 06:57
Best rotary wing book I have seen in recent years..saw it on sale in Sainsburys on sunday and couldn;t wait to get my paws on it. Fantastic read and can't beat it.

When paperback version comes out I'll purchase it as well...good for read on travelling (though the missus won't mind as she will be buried in Heat or OK magazine :ugh:) plus I can carry it in the side pocket of my Robbo 44 !! ;)

Great piece of writing and love the pics!!

NYF
26th Aug 2008, 09:22
Rather than go for the Damien Lewis book - which manages to get L Cpl Mathew Ford's name wrong - I'd hold out for Apache by Ed Macy. Macy was the Apache pilot who won an MC during the Jugroom Fort rescue and has written a first person account. His book's being serialised in the Sun this week.

And for anyone who prefers a fixed wing perspective, Joint Force Harrier by Cdr Ade Orchard, is published this week too. Orchard was CO of 800 NAS when they were in theatre over Christmas 06/07. His book is a first person account of that tour and the build up to it. An insider's account of the air campaign and he's not earning a penny from the book. ALL of his royalties from the book are going to charity.

Gainesy
26th Aug 2008, 09:41
plus I can carry it in the side pocket of my Robbo 44

Good idea, the hardback edition might max it out.:)

thirtymill
28th Aug 2008, 08:34
Fair point about Macys book. The difference is that they are completely different books about different tours. From what I have read in the Sun the books differ immensley. Apache Dawn is a true story about a bunch of guys and is completely modest, honest and not just full of action. The Jugroom Fort incident is mentioned in the prolouge but in all honesty after you have read it you forget it as the next 18 chapters are amazing! My suggestion is to buy both! I'm sure it is not a competition. My friend who was one of the crew in Apache Dawn is over the moon from the responces he has had to this book even from other Apache crews so it must be good as they are the hardest ctitics!!! ENJOY the READ it is fantastic as I am sure ed Macys will also be...there should be loads more AH and SH books we have some great stories and it can only benefit the Forces and Help For Heroes.:ok:

BOMBS
28th Aug 2008, 22:15
Have no problems with the book in general. Those of the AH community that I showed it too, took it too serious! Until I pointed out that it came of the fiction shelf!!!! Sorry of the military shelf I mean!!

thirtymill
29th Aug 2008, 10:24
This is a true account of what these men experienced in Afghanistan. There are without doubt some changes as there are in any book to make it a good read and to join it all up from the interviews and diary entries. Still a fantastic read and please remember it is easy to be critical whilst an expert in the field (Serious AH types!) :) however this book is aimed at the general public and military alike. The Times voted it number 8 in the best sellers list and that was within the first week of publication; unheard of normally, so again well done lads! :ok:

Mister-T
29th Aug 2008, 11:03
I have yet to buy either but do plan on getting both. Are there any plans for the Chinook guys to do the same?

thirtymill
29th Aug 2008, 19:31
I heard that there may be a book from the Chinook fleet to be written in the near future and like these two books will be worth a good read. Heard today that Apache dawn was a number 8 best seller according to the Times and that this happened in the first week of publication; seems the public have a keen interest in this subject roll on more books. Again well done to all.:ok: