PDA

View Full Version : IE 6 or IE 7?

PPRuNe Pop
17th Aug 2008, 18:44
I have been having problems with IE7, and Firefox and Opera. IE7 was the best of three but was far from perfect.

However, I asked around about changing back to IE6. Google answers were quite alarming, with the warning that anyone attempting it would suffer the wrath of the gods in cyberspace.

So, not being someone who doesn't accept a challenge I proceeded to delete IE7, after accepting some advice to open any hidden files and folders, and within 6 or 7 minutes I was up and running again with IE6 performing just as it always did. It is now, and the faults that I had have now gone.

The 'promised' pitfalls never occurred and I am very happy with IE6.

Just thought it would be a useful piece of knowledge for anyone contemplating such a change.

Saab Dastard
17th Aug 2008, 19:18
PP,

Good to hear that all is in order, at last! :ok:

Was that FF 2 or 3 - or both - that you had problems with?

My principal browser on both home PCs is FF2, but I have IE7 on one (following decision to install SP3), and IE6 on t'other, for various reasons - mainly testing.

I have only found problems to do with websites that don't work properly with FF - and not just M$, either!

SD

Synthetic
17th Aug 2008, 20:08
If you are having problems with all three, I would suspect the trouble is elsewhere.What sort of problems are you having?

PPRuNe Pop
17th Aug 2008, 21:43
Couldn't agree more SD. For FF it was both, the worst being 3. Gmail doesn't like FF3 I have found - and you are right again - there are a good few websites that almost reject FF.

I'm sticking to IE6. Tried tested and almost troublefree. :D

call100
18th Aug 2008, 14:41
I've never found a website that doesn't like FF2 or 3.
I use Gmail with absolutely no problems in FF3.
For you to have problems with FF and Opera as well as IE7 certainly suggests a corrupted file somewhere on your computer.
Have you tried Safari? Just to round it off.
Having said that, if you are happy to work without the Tabs or convenience of the newer browsers then that's all that matters..:ok:

green granite
18th Aug 2008, 15:02
I've never found a website that doesn't like FF2 or 3.

Try St Mawes Harbour Webcam (http://www.stmawesharbour.co.uk/webcam.php)

I use the I.E. tab option in FF (2 or 3) and it solves the problem of any incompatible sites, I find some sites although they work, the page layout is screwed up so that the text sometimes overlays other text using FF.