PDA

View Full Version : Olympic topics (merged)

Out Of Trim
17th Aug 2008, 15:35
No not the airline :}

Warning - Not pleasant viewing - Ouch!

This is the moment Hungarian weightlifter Janos Baranyai's first Olympics ended in agony when he dislocated his right elbow in the ugliest moment yet of the Olympic weightlifting competition.
Baranyai was trying to snatch 148kg in his third lift in the men's 77kg division, when his elbow popped out of its socket.
No longer able to support the weight of the barbell, his right forearm bent backward. The 24-year-old Hungarian fell to the floor in shock, shaking and crying out in pain.
Hungary's coaching staff and competition officials rushed to Baranyai's aid as he lay trembling on the floor, his arm limp and twisted out of position.

Images here. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1044258/Pictured-The-horrific-moment-Olympic-weightlifter-turns-elbow-front.html) :eek:

Howard Hughes
18th Aug 2008, 08:34
Well the Olympics have certainly polarised pruners, some dislike the event itself, but others are scathing in the criticisms of their own athletes!

Inspired by the Paula Radcliffe thread, here is a thread to let the World know your most loved and most hated Olympic competitors, so here's mine:

Most Loved - Michael Phelps (predictable I know, but how could I go past this champion?):ok:
Most Hated - In the absence of Jana Rawlinson, Tamsyn Lewis (what a waste of space! "I did my best I promise"):rolleyes:

So don't hold back now...;)

BlueWolf
18th Aug 2008, 09:22
Slightly off topic, I took the liberty of Bablefishing your post into Korean and back again. I was going to go via Swedish, but that wasn't an option.

Olympic [su]… A love or relationship! of hatred -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Positively pruners where polarizes Olympic [su] comes out rising, some dislikes event oneself, the person who is different but is severe from criticism of the sports star of their oneself! where Here you loves and the Olympic competitor whom most hates, is like this here' Is making know and the thread which the world does in compliance with Paula Radcliffe rooms becomes the rubber; s mines: Most the large quantity went out and this warrior passed and Michael Phelps will can forecast the possibility of going the method which is - loved, (, but is knowing?) Will not be the most massive silver and - (what spatial lichen waste - Jana Rawlinson, Tamsyn Louis hates! where " Me my best I promise" Did;) Consequently don' t hesitates now,…

...which about sums up the Olympics for me. T'aint personal. ;):ok:

SpringHeeledJack
18th Aug 2008, 09:27
Having a bit of free time this morning, one was watching the Olympic coverage and the men's 'beach' volleyball was on. Now I've enjoyed playing this game in the past, great fun, competitive etc....... but worthy of the Olympics ???? Not a chance IMHO. The attire, the music in the background (Sex-bomb by Mr T Jones!), the judges waddling across the sand to make a line call where the 'line' was not straight in the sand.... it just seemed like a joke. Even the women's event comes across as flippant with their tiny costumes and blatant coquetishness (apparently sanctioned by their controlling body to improve viewing figures :hmm: ). There already was team volleyball and at least this had a seriousness to it.

Then I thought about the horse events...... open only to a miniscule section of society due to costs, how can this 'sport' exist as a true Olympic sport open to all nations, rather than a leftover dinosaur of the early games where one had to be a toff to take part.

Number 3 that came to mind was cycling BMX....... Now the UK has a near cert for the gold in the women's event (and she could probably win the men's event too!) and it requires a very explosive athletic sprint to win, but an Olympic sport ??? It's something that teenagers do before they discover the internal combustion engine, NOT worthy in MHO to be a medal event.

So fellow ppruners, what sports do you feel shouldn't be there and why ?

Regards

SHJ

KeepItRolling
18th Aug 2008, 09:35
The 2 Gold and 1 Bronze in the Mens and Womens Triathalon.
Unbelievable!!
Golds in the Mens and womens 470 sailing. (anybody believe the conditions for the K19s?).

The Girls blew the blokes out of the pool.

tony draper
18th Aug 2008, 09:37
Must be a right bastard just winning silver,no TV presenter job waiting for you back home and winners of bronze must slink around wi a bag over their heads for six months lest anyone recognise em.
Spent all week trying to avoid the Olympics but it is virtually impossible even a small war didn't attenuate the coverage much.
:rolleyes:

asiaseen
18th Aug 2008, 09:39
The Girls blew the blokes out of the pool.

Is that so they didn't have to change the water?

asiaseen
18th Aug 2008, 09:45
There's a letter in today's South China Morning Post (admittedly from a suspected nutter) suggesting that shooting events should be banned on the grounds (a) that guns hadn't been invented in ancient Greece and (b) they are too militaristic and against the spirit of peace and goodwill.

Mind you, beach volleyball hadn't been invented then either.

Buster Hyman
18th Aug 2008, 09:48
I'll second that Howard. As a former Ansett employee, I'd appreciate if Tamsyn would hand back the sponsorship money we gave her. Myself & the rest of the creditors would appreciate it! :suspect:Anyway, as far as heroes in the Olympics go, I'm a Stephen Bradbury fan myself. Running a close second would be the Chinese security at the games. Anyone who locks up a Journalist who's shouting "I'm a Journalist!" gets my vote!

tony draper
18th Aug 2008, 09:55
Not seen nowt of my favorite event yet,the combined Scottish Sport of Cheese Racing and Sweeping Brush Fencing on Ice.:ok:

angels
18th Aug 2008, 10:05
You can catch the the cheese racing in the Winter Olympics Herr Drapes.

For me the air rifle shooting is all a bit pointless (sorry to all target shooters out there, but lets face it, as a spectator sport, it is like watching a girder rust).

They should have live squirrel shooting.

Release a batch of 20 greys in a 25m2area with some vegetation, creepers etc, place contestant in middle with a 22 and see how long it takes him/her to despatch them.

This of course is eco-friendly as it will help red squirrels, trees, fledglings etc. The cadavers could be given to the local 'travellers' encampment.

I nominate Gainesy as a contestant. :ok:

Sailor Vee
18th Aug 2008, 10:07
Wrong year/season Herr D, try 2010 and somewhere bloody cold!

(buggerit, Angels beat me to it!)

StbdD
18th Aug 2008, 10:07
Table Tennis - (OK, ping pong is fun, going to add 8 ball? Darts? foosball?)

Badmitton - (name any 2 of your friends... nay, anyone you know, who badmitton)

Syncronized anything - (if you can't do it by yourself why make a couple of it? that just doubles the fee.)

Athletes? I think not.

Howard Hughes
18th Aug 2008, 10:10
Anyway, as far as heroes in the Olympics go, I'm a Stephen Bradbury fan myself.
Me too, he is without doubt, the quintessential Australian sporting hero, but I was trying to stick to the Summer Games...:ok:
what spatial lichen waste - Jana Rawlinson, Tamsyn Louis hates!
I couldn't have said it better Mr Wolf...;)

603DX
18th Aug 2008, 10:17
Darts, dominoes, ballroom dancing .....

Oh, they haven't yet added these? Give them time ........

Capt.Grumpy
18th Aug 2008, 10:22
Most Hated - In the absence of Jana Rawlinson, Tamsyn Lewis (what a waste of space! "I did my best I promise")

As they say Tamsyn Lewis couldn't run out out of sight on a dark night :hmm:

Foss
18th Aug 2008, 10:34
I was going to say about shooting, and I like shooting. Clay shooting, brilliant, but target shooting. Please... Keep it in, but don't televise it for any length time.
'And he's getting ready for his shot...

..tension is mounting here...

crkk

Yes, YES HE'S HIT IT AGAIN.'

Gordon17
18th Aug 2008, 10:35
Personally I can't abide anything where you can't tell who has won objectively. So that rules out gymnastics and diving to start with. And don't let me get started on the Ice Dancing in the Winter Olympics.

And who dreamed up Synchronised Diving? If that's a valid sport where are the Synchronised Gymanstics, Synchronised Pole Vault, Synchronised Triple Jump, etc.....

Drifting off thread slightly..... there was an article in the Daily Telegraph a few days ago by a guy who was saying that Phelps is not the greatest Olympian as swimming has too many events that in his words were "contrived", such as various medleys and relay medleys. After I read that I watched some cycling and, while the competitors are clearly exceptional athletes, who have devoted their lives to competition, how many ways have they found for men and women on bikes to race round an indoor track? I particularly liked the one where they follow a guy on a moped round for a while, then only race for 2.5 laps.

pba_target
18th Aug 2008, 10:55
Someone should point out to mr chinese chap writing to his newspaper that the javelin etc aren't exactly based on giving your neighbour a hug either....

SpringHeeledJack
18th Aug 2008, 10:59
I particularly liked the one where they follow a guy on a moped round for a while, then only race for 2.5 laps.

This event originated in Japan and is called the Keirin

Keirin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keirin)

The speeds are pretty amazing and the competition for the derny and the front pretty brutal, all the riders are built like brick sh1t houses :ouch:

Regards

SHJ

Raredata
18th Aug 2008, 11:14
At least with gymnastics you can watch teenage girls in leotards without feeling guilty.

Howard Hughes
18th Aug 2008, 11:15
Synchronised Swimming!:yuk:

Apparently it is a big rating sport, who watches this crap? I blame the yanks!;)

henry crun
18th Aug 2008, 11:20
Discard all the events that require a panel of judges, and those so called team events which do not involve a team playing together at the same time.

Buster Hyman
18th Aug 2008, 11:23
but I was trying to stick to the Summer GamesCome off it Howard! Don't try to impose standards for a thread in JB!!! FFS, even your first reply was off topic!!! ;)

Howard Hughes
18th Aug 2008, 11:26
It's my thread, now do you have anything to add Mr Hyman? Hmm, almost sounds like one of my previous fave competitors! Any relation?;)

Howard Hughes
18th Aug 2008, 11:30
Good plan Mr Crun!:ok:

Ace Rimmer
18th Aug 2008, 11:35
Gobonastick:

Of course if you'd every actually sailed anyone of the Olympic classes you'd know that there is a good deal of physical effort required to make em go fast - especially the Finn. Bobing about sipping pink gin it aint!

Howard Hughes
18th Aug 2008, 11:37
As someome who has suffered a fracture dislocation of the elbow, I can't even bring myself to look at it!:eek:

Edit: I plucked up the courage, now I feel his pain...:{

Howard Hughes
18th Aug 2008, 11:50
There are a lot of sports which were brought into the Olympics, when many of the competitors were from the armed forces that have no real relevance in modern society! For example, fencing, equestrian, archery, wrestling, boxing etc...

asiaseen
18th Aug 2008, 12:21
mr chinese chap writing to his newspaper

pba - he's actually a Mr British Chap, the tropics have got to him.

Likewise, wrestling is hardly a hug your neighbour in love and peace activity either (presumably)

Buster Hyman
18th Aug 2008, 12:23
Don't go bringing my sister into this! :derr: You know the smog in Beijing is deadly to people called Misty!For example, fencing, equestrian, archery, wrestling, boxing etc... Not to mention artillery barrages, bridge demolition, invading sovereign territ...oops, wrong thread! :oh:

tony draper
18th Aug 2008, 13:27
Hmmm didn't that Marathon thingy have a military origin??
Summat strange one noted watching that tother night ,how come it is the ugly wimmin that can run fast?,one would have thought tiz the pretty ones that would have to be fleet of foot.
:rolleyes:

S'land
18th Aug 2008, 13:48
Mr D:
You are correct when discussing "running away from",but not when discussing "running towards".

Whiskey Oscar Golf
18th Aug 2008, 13:49
If I have to watch children dive in a pool without making a splash I'd like an olympic event that allows me to enter and grades me on the my splash. I would also like to be able to have height and width judged, not me, the splash. I can get points for form and give that big ass smile just before I wet everyone.

Does anyone else have an idea for things that should be an olympic sport? Given all the passenger ones we have now.

4mastacker
18th Aug 2008, 14:01
Whiskey Oscar Golf said:
Does anyone else have an idea for things that should be an olympic sport? Given all the passenger ones we have now.

Especially for the 2012 bash could we have syncronised baby-buggy pushing by binge-drinking, teenage single mothers and car-trashing by knife-wielding ASBO holders. Thats two golds guaranteed for Britain.

BombayDuck
18th Aug 2008, 15:29
So one is watching the Olympics. The broadcast switches to a man (woman? can't tell, really) on a horse. Hmmm. Not my favourite sport, but showjumping isn't that bad to watch. So one waits as the horse and rider trot about. Then the horse gallops. Goody! They should jump any moment now! Hey... why are they slowing? Oh, he's picked up again. Now he's slowing again! Now they're turning. Now running on a line. And their score is...

Wait a minute. Score? For WHAT?!

Let me get this straight... there is an event in the OLYMPICS on how well you can get a horse to f:mad:g canter?

WHICH PART OF "CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS" IS THIS?! :mad: :ugh:

Worse than synchronized anything, I say.

SpringHeeledJack
18th Aug 2008, 18:02
Whilst watching the table-tennis final :hmm: this afternoon, I was struck, not by a ball, but by the fact that in every sport there is a different colour scheme for the national teams....... This isn't really something that I have kept an eye on, but one would've imagined that the national (Olympic) strip would be standard throughout the team and in this day and age technology can provide all types of materials with the pattern of choice, be it lycra or Gore-tex.

Most noticeable were the costumes of the female gymnasts that seemed to sport patterns last seen in the 60's in an LSD haze.....:rolleyes:

Anyone care to guess why this should be ?

Regards

SHJ

shaky
18th Aug 2008, 18:09
Perhaps this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mx3_MpwFJI) is what you had in mind W.O.G

Georgeablelovehowindia
18th Aug 2008, 19:03
Back in the days when the IOC still retained the pretence about the competitors being amateurs, somebody posed the very relevant question about Harvey Smith, David Broome and some others being in the show-jumping team. Clearly they were making a living at it, so surely they must be classed as professionals? Ah but you see, explained some bloke, the horses don't get paid, so they're the amateurs! :ugh:

con-pilot
19th Aug 2008, 00:59
Apparently it is a big rating sport, who watches this crap? I blame the yanks!

So do I HH, so do I. :(

Rainboe
19th Aug 2008, 12:31
OK, so what has happened to the GB Olympics team? They're going bloody mad. It's almost embarrassing how much gold they're winning, when in past years there was actually doubt about whether we'd win a gold at all. So now they have sailed past Germany (former East and West) and Australia too (how that must hurt). This has to stop, we are not used to winning like this. So what has gotten into them? Or rather does the panel think it's what has not gotten into lots of those other national teams? Can it be.....that taking drugs is getting too risky now, and suddenly we are on a more level playing field? But how can we sail past Germany with all that tradition of amazing East German athletes (all quite high)?

Have I missed the Beach Bikini Volleyball while I've been away?

Gordon17
19th Aug 2008, 13:06
The BBC were showing some Beach Volleyball while I was having my breakfast this morning.

Is that the only sport in the world where the women's version attracts a larger audience then the men's?

ORAC
19th Aug 2008, 13:11
and Australia too (how that must hurt). Oh indeed. I understand it made the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald in only slightly lower type than General M resigning.... ;)

Capt.Grumpy
19th Aug 2008, 13:25
Oh indeed. I understand it made the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald in only slightly lower type than General M resigning...

Well here is the AM front page :Sydney Morning Herald - Business News, World News & Breaking News in Australia (http://www.smh.com.au/am/)

and the PM front page : Sydney Morning Herald - Business News, World News & Breaking News in Australia (http://www.smh.com.au/)

The only reference to what you allude to Orac is the somewhat light hearted article shared with the Emma Snowsill article. Hardly banner headlines but then you're never wrong.

Congrats to the Pommy cycling team :D :D , shows what you can do with a good Australian coach (Shane Sutton) :E

Actually there are quite a few of us that don't really give a fcuk about the Olympics.

Ace Rimmer
19th Aug 2008, 14:53
and the Pom 470 coach is (gasp) a Kiwi!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

frostbite
19th Aug 2008, 14:55
"Actually there are quite a few of us that don't really give a fcuk about the Olympics."

Myself being another, although I somehow managed to catch a few seconds of that volleyball.

Beach babes? Yeurk!

S'land
19th Aug 2008, 17:08
Is that the only sport in the world where the women's version attracts a larger audience then the men's?

Not sure about that, but one remembers a few years ago one national team in the Women's Beach Volley Ball being threatened with suspension from a major championship because their "uniforms" were not brief enough.:E

BombayDuck
19th Aug 2008, 18:31
Slightly off topic, but I find the womenfolk in the indoor volleyball teams to be much more an eyeful than the beach volleyball ones. The latter look like they're two dimensional, at times...

Flap 5
19th Aug 2008, 21:12
I can never understand why the ozzies get so uptight if we Brits do well. I suppose it is some kind of inverse logic where they seem to insult their best mates far more than their worst enemies. After all in reality they are the poms, not us, as it stands for Prisoners of His Majesty - so why do they call us poms? Inverse logic you see.

They even managed to come up with the comment that we only do well at events where we sit down! Actually I thought that was quite funny.

Then again they keep telling us how wonderful their weather is compared to ours. My daughter has just spent 6 months in Sydney during their summer. She says it rained a lot of the time. I reckon they are very insecure.

maximus
19th Aug 2008, 21:24
I can never understand why the ozzies get so uptight if we Brits do well.

hmmm.......you must know different ones than I do. We were discussing this very topic at work the other day and the general consensus of opinion was "good on the Poms, about time they started winning at something".

I think us Aussies really like beating the Yanks most of all :ok: :E

Howard Hughes
19th Aug 2008, 21:36
but I find the womenfolk in the indoor volleyball teams to be much more an eyeful than the beach volleyball ones.I certainly agree Mr Duck, nothing like a six foot woman from Belarus to get the heart racing!:}

On a similar note did anyone catch the womens football, in particular the team from Norway...;)

The SSK
19th Aug 2008, 22:12
Some not-bad-at-all-looking rowing persons of a female nature:

NLroei - Fotoboek - babes (http://www.nlroei.nl/Fotoboek-babes.html)

redsnail
19th Aug 2008, 22:55
I'm pleased to see the Brits doing well. About time! I just hope the Brit media really gets behind them to give them the coverage and exposure the competitors deserve. Also, I hope it continues!

Sure, I like to see Australia do well but I do know how much support they get. However, the Brits? Unless it's soccer or a fluke win at cricket, no one hears any thing about it. Kids need encouraging and a better role model than over paid footballers.

:ok:

Ken Borough
20th Aug 2008, 01:20
and Australia too (how that must hurt).

No it don't as we know that "Great Britain' consists of four countries, being England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as in the Commonwealth Games. Now, let's see the medal count if divvied up among the four countries and then compare that with the count of those upstart Colonials. :ouch::ouch:

As an option, what's the medal count on a per capita basis (Oz v. GB) if one does not accept the 'four countries' perspective? :}:}

pba_target
20th Aug 2008, 08:59
Medal for most annoying olympian goes to bryony shaw, bronze in the windsurfing thismorning for the brits... but look at the interview on the highlights program! Tears and an oscar speech....

BBC SPORT | Olympics | Live action | Live - Olympics (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/live_action/7571477.stm)

NIGELINOZ
20th Aug 2008, 09:12
My daughter has just spent 6 months in Sydney during their summer. She says it rained a lot of the time.

Considering that parts of Ireland are still under water after a deluge on the weekend I dont think you are in any place to talk about the Australian summer.By the way what season is it in the UK at the moment?Oh yeah I think it's summer.:p:p:p

SpringHeeledJack
20th Aug 2008, 09:18
Just watched the BBC's Olympic coverage and they had a little segue whereby Sir Matthew Pinsett was experiencing 'bitch volleyball' :O. Well basically there were cheerleaders (in bikinis naturally) an MC whipping the crowd up and 10 second clips of very loud thumping disco music at every point between play (during the game, or is it match?)....

I have no problem with any of this, it's basically show business and is de rigeur in the USA led sports, but in THE Olympics ??? Where is the dignity, the respect and seriousness, because when you're pushing hard in any sporting endeavour 'fun' isn't to the fore, satisfaction due to your performance yes.

It has always been my personal experience that when one is 'in the moment' there is a purity of action and intent and it is this that the Olympic ideal was and should be based upon and not the demeaning razamatazz that such sports encourage.

Talking of 'purity' did anyone else see the womens 10K open water swimming race ? 2hrs of on the rivet swimming and it came down to a sprint and an arm length, brilliant sporting efforts (especially from the UK girls). One used to be no slouch in open water swimming, but the ladies would have swum 1 kilometre MORE per hour than one's best efforts :ok:

Regards

SHJ

henry crun
20th Aug 2008, 09:21
I knew that synchronised swimming was an Olympic sport, but I did not know until this week that there is synchronised diving.
I now see that there is also synchronised gymnastics.

Is this the forerunner of things to come ? will we see sychronised trap shooting, synchronised horse jumping, synchronised hurdles, etc etc ?

Rainboe
20th Aug 2008, 10:51
I notice they're doing wrestling now.........er is there 'ladies wrestling', maybe in mud rings?............They seem to have moved into all sports.

The Russian athletics track and field medal haul will now overtake GB Olympics, but what a fantastic run we have had! I hope the effect of this, followed by our Olympics will boost personal sporting endeavour for a generation. The kids need something like this to motivate them into doing something useful.

selfloadingcargo
20th Aug 2008, 11:08
synchronised hammer throwing (using just one cage) would have endless possibilities for entertainment.....

Howard Hughes
20th Aug 2008, 12:01
Did I read right? BMX is an Olympic sport? Farck me...:rolleyes:

Muffinman
20th Aug 2008, 23:59
An interesting week.....

Starting to see more and more advertisements for the shows that are waiting in the wings when we all return to the normal programming schedule - AFTER THE OLYMPICS - oh that's right .....the PARA OLYMPICS coverage will now appear in the evening sports wrap up.

Sat through another "it's been four hard years of sweat to achieve my dream...blah". Meanwhile it takes 42 years for some Vietnam vets to finally receive a gallantry medal (Gold? Silver? Bronze? ) for saving lives at the battle of Long Tan.

Even our (recently ex) Prime Minister only has to wait six months for his gong for doing what he was paid to do.

reynoldsno1
21st Aug 2008, 01:09
For me the air rifle shooting

I see the North Korean who won a silver and a bronze at this (I think) failed a doping test - wtf over??? Valium, i suppose, to stop the hand shaking....?

con-pilot
21st Aug 2008, 01:33
Did I read right? BMX is an Olympic sport? Farck me...

And just why not? It is a form of bicycling is it not? There is indoor bicycling races and crosscountry bicycling racing well established as Olympic sports.

So, why not BMX bicycling racing?

Farck me...:rolleyes:

Buster Hyman
21st Aug 2008, 02:13
Well, there's shot put Con, but we don't also have marbles....;)

Okay, we'll keep BMX, but we'll also have to include Scooters, 3 wheelers and a special under age event with training wheels too!:p

con-pilot
21st Aug 2008, 03:05
Oh come on now, give me a serious reason why BMX style racing should not be in the Olympics.

Is it just because it orginated in the US?

Buster Hyman
21st Aug 2008, 05:23
I guess those that pay the most for TV rights have a greater say than those who don't.

Besides, if it's not a serious sport, why do you need a serious reason???:p;):p

There will always be debate about what is worthy to be classed as an Olympic sport. Personally, it should be a recognised sport in a majority (x amount) of competing nations IMHO. I just don't see BMX up there. By the same token, I don't see Synchronised swimming, Baseball, or Beach Volleyball (sorry chaps) for the same reason.

mustpost
21st Aug 2008, 07:41
Just watched the last post race intrview with GB sailing team - has anyone noticed they seem to suffer from a collective bout of Tourettes?? :}

ORAC
21st Aug 2008, 07:51
Too Old and Frail to Re-educate? Not in China (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/21/sports/olympics/21protest.html?_r=1&em&oref=slogin)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/08/20/sports/olympics/21protest-190.jpg

BEIJING — In the annals of people who have struggled against Communist Party rule, Wu Dianyuan and Wang Xiuying are unlikely to merit even a footnote. The two women, both in their late 70s, have never spoken out against China’s authoritarian government. Both walk with the help of a cane, and Ms. Wang is blind in one eye. Their grievance, receiving insufficient compensation when their homes were seized for redevelopment, is perhaps the most common complaint among Chinese displaced during the country’s long streak of fast economic growth.

But the Beijing police still sentenced the two women to an extrajudicial term of “re-education through labor” this week for applying to hold a legal protest in a designated area in Beijing, where officials promised that Chinese could hold demonstrations during the Olympic Games.

They became the most recent examples of people punished for submitting applications to protest. A few would-be demonstrators have simply disappeared, at least for the duration of the Games, squelching already diminished hopes that the influx of foreigners and the prestige of holding the Games would push China’s leaders to relax their tight grip on political expression.

“Can you imagine two old ladies in their 70s being re-educated through labor?” asked Li Xuehui, Ms. Wu’s son, who said the police told the two women that their sentence might remain in suspension if they stayed at home and stopped asking for permission to protest. “I feel very sad and angry because we’re only asking for the basic right of living and it’s been six years, but nobody will do anything to help,” Mr. Li said........................

While the demands of Ms. Wu, 79, and Ms. Wang, 77, the protest applicants, might be seen as harmless, they threatened to expose the systemic problems that bedevil the lives of millions of Chinese. Like many disenchanted citizens, the two women, former neighbors, were seeking to draw attention to a government-backed real estate deal that promised to give them apartments in the new development that replaced their homes not far from Tiananmen Square. Six years later, they are living in ramshackle apartments on the outskirts of the city, and their demands for compensation have gone unanswered.

On Monday, when they returned to the police station to follow up on their protest applications, the women were told they had been sentenced to one year at a labor camp for “disturbing public order.” For the moment, the women have been allowed to return to their homes, but they have been warned that they could be sent to a detention center at any moment, relatives said.

Officials say that they received 77 protest applications but that nearly all of them were dropped after the complaints were “properly addressed by relevant authorities or departments through consultations.”

At a news conference on Wednesday, Wang Wei, the vice president of Beijing’s Olympic organizing committee, was asked about the lack of protests. He said it showed the system was working. “I’m glad to hear that over 70 protest issues have been solved through consultation, dialogue,” he said. “This is a part of Chinese culture.”...........

Capt.Grumpy
21st Aug 2008, 10:34
Is it just because it orginated in the US?

Jesus Con, we're being just a little bit paranoid here aren't we :hmm:

BenThere
21st Aug 2008, 12:58
We have to be on our guard, Capt. Grumpy. There's folks like you out there.

Did take note that Baseball and Softball will no longer be olympic medal events. They are the first sports to be removed in decades. Mens' baseball was even somewhat competitive, but womens' softball was guaranteed US gold as far as the eye could see.

I would like to view a summary of the justification IOC came up with for the removal action.

wiggy
21st Aug 2008, 14:18
For once I'll side with Con...you wouldn't get me up on the top of that chuffing steep and high start ramp on a half size bike, looking down at lots of lumps, bumps and hard tarmac.......mind you I do think some of the competitors really are old enough to know better, one of the French "girls" was 30......Anyhow, keep BMX in - it's a darn sight more physical and dangerous than synchronised hair pulling or team nose picking if you ask me.

con-pilot
21st Aug 2008, 17:51
Jesus Con, we're being just a little bit paranoid here aren't we

No, I was being more sarcastic than paranoid. No one who is against BMX style racing would give a logical reason why it should not be in the Olympics.

Now, if they had said, "There are already two different bicycling events in the Olympics as it is, I don't think we need any more.", I would take that comment as very logical and might even agree.

However, that was not the attitude that was expressed. So, I was left with the only assumption possible.

After all, as long as synchronized swimming is considered a Olympic sport, I figure the door is wide open for anything. :p

Rule3
21st Aug 2008, 18:51
Ben There:ok: Today, we didn't see much:rolleyes:, Softball,:eek: Mens:} and Womens:{ 4x100. What a great day:ouch:, as for the Womens Water Polo Bronze medal match, what a sensational game from both teams:D

con-pilot
21st Aug 2008, 19:16
I would like to view a summary of the justification IOC came up with for the removal action.

Ben, from what I have gathered from listening to the commentators while watching the Olympics there were two main reasons.

One, that there is not enough international interest because Baseball and Softball is not played in that many countries. This may be a valid point, but debatable.

Second, basically Baseball and Softball games last too long, not high scoring and not interesting to spectators. I think that this reasoning is ludicrous when one looks at Football (Soccer) which takes a long time to play, and is very low scoring, however, Football/Soccer is inexplicably very popular to some people. As I write this I am watching the Gold Medal Football/Soccer Match between the Brazil and the US, the game has been going on for 45 minutes with no score and has 45 plus minutes to go (I think the game is taped). Yet people in the stands are yelling their heads off, go figure.

(They also, for some strange reason, blast away constantly with a great number of very loud annoying air-horns. :p)

Loki
21st Aug 2008, 20:52
Rugby used to be an Olympic sport....withdrawn I think circa 1924. Guess who the reigning Olympic champions are?

USA!

(possibly why it was withdrawn)

con-pilot
21st Aug 2008, 21:06
Rugby used to be an Olympic sport....withdrawn I think circa 1924. Guess who the reigning Olympic champions are?

USA!

Really, I never knew that. I was going to ask if Rugby was an Olympic sport, no need now.

The games are too long now if you ask me.

Howard Hughes
21st Aug 2008, 22:59
No one who is against BMX style racing would give a logical reason why it should not be in the Olympics.
I don't know about logical but I'll give it a go! Fully grown men, riding over sized kids bikes, pretending to be motocross riders...:rolleyes:

While I can appreciate that this is a very skillful event, I pose the question is it worthy of Olympic status? I think Buster raises a good point with regard to qualification of Olympic events, if we were to follow that thinking, many of the established sports that were introduced to give European Royalty a chance to medal would be removed...:eek:

If introducing BMX is a move by the IOC to make the Olympics 'more relevant', then perhaps they also need to visit the issue of what sports are no longer relevant!:ok:

For the record I would rather see BMX than synchronised swimming! For that one I do lay the blame fair and square with the USA!;)

con-pilot
21st Aug 2008, 23:02
For that one I do lay the blame fair and square with the USA!

Er, hum, sorry. :(

The AvgasDinosaur
21st Aug 2008, 23:18
Did Chinese legend Liu Xiang in the 110m hurdles knacker his achillies (sp?) tendon just after he was unofficially informed he had a drug test waiting for him at the far end of the track. Walked better than most people I've ever seen with that injury?
Be lucky
David

Strelnikov
21st Aug 2008, 23:39
Did any Americans take out any bystanding Brits in the shooting events?

Maybe this should be an event for 2012.

Buster Hyman
21st Aug 2008, 23:41
Ok, I'll concede to BMX racing, IF, we can also have Dragster Dressage...

Arrangement of frills from the handlebars, reflectors in the wheels, height of aerial with orange flag, swap cards between the spokes....

http://www.ida.com.au/bike/images/dragster.jpg Oh look, here's Howard on his way to the Olympics!

con-pilot
21st Aug 2008, 23:48
Arrangement of frills from the handlebars, reflectors in the wheels, height of aerial with orange flag, swap cards between the spokes....

Now you're talking. :p

Howard Hughes
22nd Aug 2008, 00:08
http://www.geocities.com/chopperama/timsdragside.jpg

Buster,

I have actually just received the latest in high tec dragster dressage bikes from Malvern Star!:ok:

Will handlebar moustaches be compulsory?;)

Rule3
22nd Aug 2008, 00:20
As a bettting man:{, I wonder what odds one could have obtained on,
1. No US Softball gold medal.:O
2. No US in Mens 4x1000m final.:eek:
3. No US in Womens 4x100m final.:ouch:
4. No US Womens Basketball gold medal?

The seemingly impossible is almost reality.:D
Go you OPALS, GO you GOOD THINGS.;)

In all seriousness I hope it is a :mad:great game and the better team wins.:ok:

con-pilot
22nd Aug 2008, 00:30
The US women not winning the gold in Softball was a shocker. The pre-Olympics Softball trials were held here in Oklahoma City, the same teams that played in the Olympics, and the US Women's team just dominated the games.

(Watching some of the younger players from other countries eat Bar-B-Que ribs for the first time was priceless. :ok:)

Buster Hyman
22nd Aug 2008, 00:31
Man, that's one sweet Bike Howard...would you pimp my ride too?

I often wonder about people that can afford luxury items like that...I reckon they're into drugs somehow...

Ooooh, oooh...just noticed the stick shift...Noice!

Howard Hughes
22nd Aug 2008, 00:40
The mens and womens BMX finals will be on shortly... Yippeee!!:hmm:

con-pilot
22nd Aug 2008, 01:30
The mens and womens BMX finals will be on shortly... Yippeee!!:hmm:

Still better than synchronized swimming. :p

Howard Hughes
22nd Aug 2008, 01:39
I am watching the BMX finals, purely for research you realise!;)

Of course the Aussies are doing reasonaly well, for now...:ok:

Ooops spoke to soon, the two Aussie girls took each other out!:{

Muffinman
22nd Aug 2008, 01:50
geezus HH you must be a tall b:mad:d - your seat extension has removed the back rest - how ya gunna 'one wheel' down the footpath to work now?;) You also need a 6ft pole with a skull n crossbone flag flapping off it! (if I could just find the photo of muffin jnr standing proudly next to his 8th b'day prezzie):eek:

Synchronised swimming and BMX as an event in the NUDE OLYMPICS will pull more viewers than the current beach vollyball!

Buster Hyman
22nd Aug 2008, 06:30
the NUDE OLYMPICS will pull more viewers

Change the words around & it makes more sense...:ooh:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Aug 2008, 12:44
he just wanted to concentrate on the shot-put though :hmm:

===

not interesting to spectatorsunlike javelin :zzz:
discus :zzz:
pole vaulting :zzz:
weightlifting :zzz:
shooting :zzz:
horsey sports :zzz:
sailing sports :zzz:
the dancing thing with the big ribbon :zzz:
the marthon :zzz:
etc, etc

They're ALL fecking booring sports, that only get watched because either
(1) people watch them because for some odd reason they do the sport themselves or
(2) people watch them because they like to purve at gusset shots of teenage girls :=

...and softball got taken out because it's been added to the Lesbian Olympics :E

frostbite
22nd Aug 2008, 16:53
Roller skating, in its various forms, can be good spectator entertainment.

Much more so than some of the 'sports'.

Confession time

I actually watched ten minutes of this nonsense today - the Women's Hockey, Holland v. China.

Loki
22nd Aug 2008, 20:48
con-pilot

USA team Paris 1924

fullback Charles Doe (1), left wing W. Rogers (2) centre (outside) N.Cleveland (3) right wing, F.Hyland (4) 2 nd 5/8 (inside centre) G.Dixon, (5), 1 st 5/8 (fly-half) R.Devereux,(6) scrum half (half-back) G.Scholtz (7) forwards: No 8 C.Slater (8) Captain, back row (3 rd row- wing forward) J.Patrick (9), back-row (3 rd row - wing forward) D. de Groot (10), second-row A.Valentine (11), second row L.Farrish (12), front row (prop) G.Manelli (13), front row hooker J.O'Neill (14), front row prop E.Graff (15)

Final score was USA 17, France 3
Romania got the Bronze medal

Apparently rugby had all but died out in the USA by 1924, though it had been popular in the early 1900s. It was such a marginal sport in the US, that the US olympic committee refused to fund the team.

Richard Taylor
22nd Aug 2008, 21:24
This phrase is annoying the bejeezus out of me! :*

Team GB this...GB that - and MORE annoying that a washed up politician called GB is jumping on the bandwagon...:=

con-pilot
22nd Aug 2008, 21:31
Apparently rugby had all but died out in the USA by 1924, though it had been popular in the early 1900s. It was such a marginal sport in the US, that the US Olympic committee refused to fund the team.

Loki, on a trip to Kong Kong about three years ago I discovered that there was form of World Cup Rugby Finals being played there and there was a team from the U.S. in the finals. So I knew that was some type of Rugby League in the U.S.

After your post on Rugby in the Olympics I did some research and found out that there is a U.S. Rugby League.

Untitled (http://www.usarugby.org/)

Quite a few College/University teams as well, men and women.

Thank you again. :ok:

Oh, on the Cup Final in Hong Kong, I believe that the teams played with less players than normal. That's way I called it a form of Rugby. That would have been in the first part of the year of 2005.

Capt.Grumpy
22nd Aug 2008, 21:48
After your post on Rugby in the Olympics I did some research and found our that there is a U.S. Rugby League.

There most certainly is an American Rugby UNION. I have attended two games involving the USA (The Eagles). The first at the Sydney Cricket Ground vs Australia during the mid 1980's where we (OZ) gave them a mighty flogging and the second during a World Cup game vs Japan again in Sydney. The US beat Japan and was a great game if I remember rightly.

Buster Hyman
23rd Aug 2008, 00:35
Now, I take exception to people questioning the Pole Vault!:= Especially since my mates son just brought home the bacon!!!

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6213001,00.jpg

Go you good thing!!!!:ok:

Howard Hughes
23rd Aug 2008, 01:13
Con, you are probably referring to the Hong Kong Sevens tournament, played with teams comprised of seven players ona full sized pitch. All of the players are generally backs, so it is a very fast, high scoring game!:ok:

For those in Honkers in November, you can take in Australia v New Zealand!

Loki
23rd Aug 2008, 10:33
Con

Don`t say "league" that`s not quite the same as "union" (runs for cover from our northern chums)

I believe it`s seven a side which is being suggested for the Olympics....a good fast game, though lacking the spectacle and subtlety of the full on 15 a side Rugby Union.

Strelnikov
23rd Aug 2008, 23:47
China 96 medals - well done

USA 107 medals - good work (though China are streets ahead on golds - you should all be ashamed you've re-jigged the medals table to hide the fact you are in SECOND place)

Russia 69 medals - erm.....sort of okay but mediocre for a superpower.

The European Union: 261 medals!!!!

Oh dear - we appear to have annhilated everybody!

Power to Europe! :ok:

obgraham
24th Aug 2008, 01:22
The European Union: 261 medals!!!!

Oh dear - we appear to have annhilated everybody!

Well, I suppose if each of the 50 US states sent a full team of Olympians, the count might have been different.

con-pilot
24th Aug 2008, 01:25
Well, I suppose if each of the 50 US states sent a full team of Olympians, the count might have been different.

Point and match! :ok:

tinpis
24th Aug 2008, 02:25
I should get a gold medal for not throwing something through the telly
Thank fcuk its finished :D

con-pilot
24th Aug 2008, 02:30
Thank fcuk its finished

Sorry, tin, one more day, at least here. :(

Buster Hyman
24th Aug 2008, 09:45
China 96 medals - pop. 1.3 billion
USA 107 medals - pop. 304 million
Russia 69 medals - pop. 142 million
Europe 261 medals - pop. 494 million
Australia 46 medals - pop. 21 million Imagine if WE sent a team from each state with that conversion rate per capita!!!.....:E

Tempsford
24th Aug 2008, 11:54
Well done to the Great Britain team! A fantastic effort.

I do hope that the Aussie press will get over their sour grapes at us winning most of our medals at 'sittie downie' sports. Still, we did get a balanced view from them as they do have a chip on both shoulders.

Seb Coe on the TV this morning was asked about whether the volunteer marshalls at London 2012 will march between actvities as the Chinese have done. Seb said he felt that the 17 000 volunteers received in the first week after the Olympics was announced to be in London would not be required to do so.

Well done also to Beijing for a well planned and executed event. Don't try to 'follow that' London. We could never affford what the Chinese have done and besides that, we should give it a British feeling and not enter into 'one upmanship'. I am sure that London 2012 will be a fantastic event, hopefully with no problems filling the seats at all events. The only factor I have concerns over is the British Weather. Besides that, bad weather could limit the Red Arrows display at the opening event.

Jimmy Page/Leona Lewis at the closing ceremony today - with a rendition of 'Whole Lotta Love'. Should be interesting.

Temps

maximus
24th Aug 2008, 12:02
Still, we did get a balanced view from them as they do have a chip on both shoulders.

And of course the Fleet Street press is completely blameless :rolleyes:

NIGELINOZ
24th Aug 2008, 12:12
[/we should give it a British feeling and not enter into 'one upmanship'QUOTE]

Funny comment considering just a few lines earlier you came up with:[[QUOTE]I do hope that the Aussie press will get over their sour grapes at us winning most of our medals at 'sittie downie' sports. Still, we did get a balanced view from them as they do have a chip on both shouldersBut your point that Great Britain did very well is valid,they did do well and deserve congratulations,especially for efforts like that of Rebecca Adlington in the pool and the cycling team.Well Done,but don't get complacent as the Aussies will be doing all they can to ensure there is no repeat in 2012.

1DC
24th Aug 2008, 12:34
Just watching the closing ceremony and the Aussies aren't wearing the green and gold, why?

Capt.KAOS
24th Aug 2008, 13:20
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/08/23/ht_dive_wideweb__470x279,0.jpg

A Perfect 10 (http://www.smh.com.au/news/diving/a-perfect-10-as-mitcham-dives-for-gold/2008/08/23/1219262633209.html)

Beating the Chinese on their turf at their sport is truly one of the most amazing achievements this Olympics.

Tempsford
24th Aug 2008, 13:45
My point was directed to the Aussie press who like some Brtish Press can be way,way OTT.

Indeed, at the press confernece today when it was announced that the London 2012 part of the Beijing closing ceremony would include a London Bus, an Aussie 'journalist' asked if it would be on time....

Well done to the Aussie athletes, a very admirable, 6th place in the medals table.

frostbite
24th Aug 2008, 14:43
"the Beijing closing ceremony would include a London Bus"

Did three turn up at once?

Tempsford
24th Aug 2008, 14:45
Yup and they were painted yellow and called 'bananas' because they.....

NIGELINOZ
24th Aug 2008, 15:12
Actually although Great Britain like to portray itself as an underdog a look at the
All time medal tables for Olympic Games shows a different story.
Prior to these games Great Britain had competed at 25 Olympiads for a total of
668 medals made up of 188 Gold,242 Silver and 238 Bronze,whereas
Australia had competed at 23 with a total of 386, 117 Gold,122 Silver and 147
Bronze.
So those Brits that were feeling so sorry for themselves prior to these games were
Hiding the real facts.,but as I said in my last post.don’t rest on your laurels
Team GB ,the Aussies will be after you in 2012.
By the way having been in London for the last six months I have not been on a bus that wasn’t at least a few minutes late,but as the drivers have to put up with
The appalling traffic conditions I am not surprised,in fact I’m surprised they arrive at all!

Tempsford
24th Aug 2008, 21:06
Well at least at lot of Aussies won't have to go far for the 2012 olympics, there's already loads here! Best to catch the tube if you are worried about the busses or traffic, or better still get a good spot now and park your VW camper vans in docklands asap :E.

What was the wager that the Aussie and British Sports Ministers had as to which team would win the most medals? Do we care?

Strelnikov
24th Aug 2008, 21:33
The Aussies are the best sporting nation on earth.

As a Brit - I've enjoyed closing the gap with them a heap this time round but Aussies still stay in front.

What I have enjoyed is all of us shoving it up the Yanks fine-style. They've been shafted by everybody!

If you read back a little on this thread you'll encounter a marvellous whinging bleat about "if all US States could compete the table would look different".

Marvellous. So there was an army of gold medal winners left back home then? Hmmm.....interesting selection system.

Logic failure - you selected your best three athletes out of 300 million people and they've generally failed - so how is sending poorer athletes who were inferior to the selected 3 will change anything?!?!?!?!?!?!??

As Finbarr Saunders would say "Kyuck! Kyuck!"

frostbite
24th Aug 2008, 21:44
Best bit of the Olympics for me was watching the Channel 5 program on the construction of the Bird's Nest.

Repeated tomorrow just after midday if you want to catch it.

CATIII-NDB
24th Aug 2008, 22:09
I think that our 8 min bit with the singer, old bloke and that foootballler chapie - kicking the hopefully real ball into the crowd from the Bus was a bit Downham Market - Thank heavens - Channel 4 showed the reaction of a few Chineese to the thing - "Pain rather than astonishment" describes their response - please comment. We will never repeat this type of specticle - thank god - It was all too perfect for me.

CATIII

Buster Hyman
24th Aug 2008, 22:28
Oh I dunno CAT....do you recall the "Biker-Roos"????:eek::ugh::ugh::ugh:

CATIII-NDB
24th Aug 2008, 22:31
Thats this - missed them. ? I'm as flummuxed as a Dingo's Kidney ?

CAT III

tony draper
24th Aug 2008, 22:39
I see London is having another bloody Olympic blow out today at the rest of the countries expense,suppose we better get used to us,their "London" Olympics is going to sucking on the rest of the countries tit as per for the next twenty bloody years.
:suspect:

Rollingthunder
24th Aug 2008, 22:44
I'm getting a little sick of the inaccuracies portrayed at the Olys handing over ceremonies. While London is host city of the next summer olympics the NEXT host city for the Olympics is Vancouver for the 2010 winter games. Nice city, London, but not the bloody center of the world.

Strelnikov
24th Aug 2008, 22:48
Excellent pedantic outburst Rolling Thunder. Well done Vancouver (a qual city - as far as North American grid-cities go).

Can some Yanks please come back and comment on how badly they've been stuffed at this Olympics please?

tony draper
24th Aug 2008, 22:53
You will find a lot of people in the UK would agree with you there Mr T,London is a polyglot foreign shite hole parasitic on the rest of the land from whence flows all the problems of the rest of the county,Boudicca had the right idea about what to do with London, she put the bloody place to the sword and torch we should have left it that way,move out Capital to a proper English City like York.
:suspect::rolleyes:

Buster Hyman
24th Aug 2008, 23:59
move out Capital to a proper English City like York
...or Karachi.:}

obgraham
25th Aug 2008, 03:25
If you read back a little on this thread you'll encounter a marvellous whinging bleat about "if all US States could compete the table would look different".No bleating at all Strel. You were the one who wanted to add the Poles, the Greeks, and the Latvians to the UK's haul as somehow making you superior. Most folks in the US aren't too concerned about who wins Modern Pentathlon and Team Handball, although they do think that some overhyped runners ought to be able to pass a stick between themselves.

Before you get too wound up about the Aussies, you might realize that the country with the highest per capita medal winnings was, believe it or not, the Bahamas. The Chinese would have to win 9,000 more medals to surpass them!

Oh, one more, Strel: USA won more Gold medals and more Total medals in Beijing than in Athens. Hardly a stuffing, I'd say.

Flap 5
25th Aug 2008, 07:36
When I looked the US had come second. Hardly call that a stuffing!

Pity Team GB got overtaken by Russia. If our relay teams hadn't screwed up we may have prevented that. However we beat everyone except the US, the Russians and the Chinese - and that includes the Ozzies who were also beaten by Germany. So not sure how Australia can be the 'best sporting nation on earth'? They're good at swimming and .... well not much else really.

I am already getting a bit embarrased by the UK idea of a closing ceremony. David Beckham represents football and we couldn't even enter a team for that in the olympics because the football associations of England and Scotland couldn't agree!

I thought Boris Johnson was great though. He may be a bit of a numpty but he is funny and can be relied on to be suitably amusing when needed - and he does know his history.

But please! We don't want the UK olympics to be just all rock music and booze!

Rainboe
25th Aug 2008, 08:31
What's the alternative for the UK? Morris Dancers with bells on their knees dancing around a giant pole? Massed ranks of health and safety inspectors doing a coordinated dance on the pitch? Won't their reflective jackets glitter beautifully in the TV lights as their arms swing in unison? Violently overpaid football stars waving their vast pay cheques in time to cockney sounding pop music? Scottish politicians making a Horlicks of running the UK......Er....exactly what else is 'Britishness'?

rodthesod
25th Aug 2008, 08:40
Around Day 13 I saw a Eurosport Channel interview with a whining 'in denial' USA Olympics official who claimed that they were 'winning' because the USA always counts TOTAL medals. According to his reasoning, China could win all the Golds, USA all the Bronzes and if USA had one more Silver than China they would 'win'. I think he's probably a divorce lawyer in his day job.

Maybe they should score G3, S2 and B1 when positioning teams in the medal table, but as others have said - the table would look a lot different if there was a 'per capita' adjustment. The UK would be well down the list, but we'd be ahead of USA and China.

rts

NIGELINOZ
25th Aug 2008, 08:41
They certainly have a new sport to try-Whingeing,the Brits do that better than anyone.
Whingeing POM - Australia’s latest lifestyle publication (http://www.whingeing-pom.com/)

rodthesod
25th Aug 2008, 08:59
NIGELINOZ

Freud had a 'handle' on Australians:

Projection: Projection is one of the defense mechanisms identified by Freud and still acknowledged today. According to Freud, projection is when someone is threatened by or afraid of their own impulses so they attribute these impulses to someone else. For example, a person in psychoanalysis may insist to the therapist that he knows the therapist is a whinger, when in fact the client himself is the whinger.

rts:E

Howard Hughes
25th Aug 2008, 09:09
Bout time the Brits won something...;)

Sallyann1234
25th Aug 2008, 09:41
I think that our 8 min bit with the singer, old bloke and that foootballler chapie - kicking the hopefully real ball into the crowd from the Bus was a bit Downham Market - Thank heavens - Channel 4 showed the reaction of a few Chineese to the thing - "Pain rather than astonishment" describes their response - please comment.
Agree wholeheartedly. After the Chinese spectaculars, it was sickening to see that the UK contribution consisted of an irrelevant and eminently forgettable pop song, and a footballer kicking a ball into the crowd.
It is to be hoped that London 2012 won't try to copy the extravagant 2008 ceremonies, but surely we can still have quality if not quantity?

Unfortunately the best part of all wasn't broadcast - Red Ken's grinding teeth when he saw Boris waving the flag as he thought "that should be me there"!

Richard Taylor
25th Aug 2008, 09:42
And a portrait of Myra Hindley, one of the Moors Murderers.........:eek:

NIGELINOZ
25th Aug 2008, 09:52
Bout time the Brits won something

Yes HH,and speaking of winning,I find it strange,but not surprising that the English media has completly ignored Trescothick's admission that mints were used to keep the shine on the ball during the 2005 ashes test series.

parabellum
25th Aug 2008, 11:50
Oh NIGELINOZ where have you been all your life? I do admit that Poms can, on occasion, whinge when in Australia but if you want to hear professional whinging at it's best you have to listen to an Australian overseas. NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING, is right and they have whinging down to perfection. I spent the major part of my working life outside UK and working with Australians, they are probably amongst the worst expats, wives and kids don't want to leave Oz so send Dad off alone, no effort to embrace the new life and mix in like the other expats, some make the effort but most form a little colony and then arrange regular whinging sessions, (also known as BBQs).

I never cease to chuckle when I hear an Australian talk about the whinging Pom, if only the Australians could hear themselves sometimes.

Rainboe
25th Aug 2008, 12:02
One must admit one finds Australians rather 'different'. Absurdly proud of their overheated dustbowl country that is actually rather tatty, with a national diet of 'meat pies' and deep fried whatever, and absurdly overwhelming fascination with sport and having to 'beat' anything that moves, and extraordinary litany of obscene language to be used amongst each other (take a look in the D&G forum, but whatever you do don't stay there!) and against all comers, a preponderance of 'knifing each other in the back' (the record of these particular antipodeans is extraordinary in that respect), it becomes very tiresome to find they are perpetually 'in competition' with each other and every non-Ozzy (ie, everybody). The fact they have all voluntarily removed themselves from one's workplace is viewed with favour! The ungracious remarks made about beating others at sport leads increasing numbers to prefer that they were not opponents- many play sport for enjoyment and fun, not dogged determination 'to prove something'. Why are they like that? The Olympics was fun, the success of TeamGB viewed with delight and bewilderment- how can that cause such ungracious, dare one say, 'unsporting', remarks?

Howard Hughes
25th Aug 2008, 12:27
Interesting perspective Rainboe!:E

NIGELINOZ
25th Aug 2008, 13:25
preponderance of 'knifing each other in the back'

At least when Australians do it they don't often,actually use a real knife,as distinct from some inhabitants of certain parts of London.

And by the way,Rainboe, as far as Australia being tatty,well,Australia has,if I recall rightly about 25 areas of the country that are world heritage areas and are some of the most pristine,beautiful places on earth,take the
Great Barrier Reef as an example.
For tatty you cant go past places like Brixton or Battersea in London.

But your point about ungracious and unsportsmanlike remarks is valid and as I said on this thread yesterday, Great Britain did very well is valid,they did do well and deserve congratulations,especially for efforts like that of Rebecca Adlington in the pool and the cycling team.Well Done,but don't get complacent as the Aussies will be doing all they can to ensure there is no repeat in 2012

Buster Hyman
25th Aug 2008, 13:36
Ha! It seems Rainboe just doesn't get it!!!:E

Rainboe
25th Aug 2008, 14:01
For tatty you cant go past places like Brixton or Battersea in London.
Well if we're talking tatty, I have seen the suburbs of Paramatta and outlying countryside. My impression is most Ozzys live in shacks. Knife culture is shocking, beer violence is rampant is Australia. When I was out there is Sydney, 2 louts killed a Brit tourist by beating him to death for the sake of it. Overcrowded and overwhelmed London may be, but understand it's because that is where people want to move to. Why are there so many foreigners- Americans, Aussies, Arabs....all of them overwhelming the place: it's where they want to be. Choking by its very success. They like to give the impression that Australia is perfect, and it can be lovely, but don't kid yourself, it has structural problems a socialist 'nirvana' government cannot begin to address. People are losing their homes there too.

But things like sport are for fun. It's immature to get seriously upset when you lose at sport- it shows you shouldn't be playing it in the first place if it is going to ruin your day if you lose. Most Brits couldn't care a toss whether they lose cricket or only get 4 golds at the Olympics like we used to. But we still enjoy it. Much healthier. So seeing some of the disparaging, vicious rude comments involving sport that only seem to come from Australians in general make the Olympics results suddenly very funny. It is the fact that it hurts that is the main reason why the results are so good. There seems to be some maturity still required.

MacBoero
25th Aug 2008, 14:16
The plane just flew over my house. It's a shame it's so overcast...

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/srmoll/OddsnSods/P1050234.jpg

NIGELINOZ
25th Aug 2008, 14:40
It is the fact that it hurts that is the main reason why the results are so good.

[Actually only seriously poor losers (And yes there are quite a few of them in OZ) really begrudge the Brits the results they achieved at Beijing,most truly patriotic Aussies will be too busy working on what they can do to beat them in 2012 to worry about the medal table from one Olympics,so no,Rainboe,it doesn't hurt me that the poms won more gold medals,but I spent the first 47 years of my life in Australia and I will defend it when I consider it necessary.

The_Banking_Scot
25th Aug 2008, 14:48
Hi,

I'm watching it live on the BBC feed via my pc ( a majestic view of the aircraft on final approach from the front)

The athletes are coming off now.

:ok:Well done to all! :ok:

Regards

TBS

G-CPTN
25th Aug 2008, 15:04
Apparently special arrangements had to be made (according to the Beeb!) to allow for the extra 20 kg of weight due to the concentration of medals being carried . . .

NIGELINOZ
25th Aug 2008, 15:17
[/Apparently special arrangements had to be made (according to the Beeb!) to allow for the extra 20 kg of weight due to the concentration of medals being carried .

And the champagne!(Probably more like a flying champagne bottle than a 747:))

Rainboe
25th Aug 2008, 17:05
it doesn't hurt me that the poms won more gold medals,but I spent the first 47 years of my life in Australia and I will defend it when I consider it necessary.
But there's no need for defence, because nobody usually attacks Australia. In fact Australia and Australians are one of the most popular nationalities for Brits. But one finds one defending oneself from 'Australia's better than_(insert country)______'/we can beat you at cricket, swimming, spitting whatever/ we can drink more than you....../ we win more golds than you/ we're better at Rugby than you/blah blah blah. It becomes tiresome. The Olympics results seems such an achievement because we're always being threatened with a thrashing!

Tempsford
25th Aug 2008, 19:32
I agree that some of the holders of British passports do not travel well and are not exactly the ambassadors we would wish to have. However, after having spent a long time in Oz and noting how great the folks down there are on the whole, I do have to say that a large number of Aussies I have met outside Australia don't do Australians justice by their behaviour. In short I have met many, many whingeing Aussies....just thought I would put the situation in perspective.

Buster Hyman
25th Aug 2008, 22:14
Indeed Temps, there are very many who now epitomise what we once despised. I usually thought the best whingers used to disembark the seasonal Britannia flights, but you can find them everywhere now.

Well, I guess if you read the Murdoch papers & visit Parramatta and outlying countryside, then you can't help but generalise.:rolleyes: I spend a lot of time in Liverpool but do I think all of Britain is like that? Hell no, I think all of Britain is like that documentary, "Little Britain" of course.

And so what if it's an "overheated dustbowl"? It's MY overheated dustbowl & I love it! If you think of the USA, for example, it has many social problems, like the rest of us, but what keeps the very fabric of that country together (IMHO) is an overwhelming sense of patriotism. You might remember what that is, it kept Britain together during the darkest days of WWII. If you've lost it, then I pity you & I pity Britain.:(

flymiss
25th Aug 2008, 23:00
Really looked impressive and great to see team GB flying the flag!

klog
25th Aug 2008, 23:06
Sure. But although air travel is quite safe, when I heard the news I wondered why all the GB team was on one flight :eek:

Where I work, travelling in the same car as critical team members is a no-no.
Discuss,

Rainboe
25th Aug 2008, 23:09
The only thing to discuss is your sanity! What a totally and utterly daft remark to make!

nairda68
25th Aug 2008, 23:25
do not worry about klog.....he's riding the short bus to "work"!

kuntakinte
25th Aug 2008, 23:37
The only thing to discuss is your sanity! What a totally and utterly daft remark to make!

Rainboe....what arrogance.

klog is right, critical team members must never travel together in high risk mode of travel. The whole team of Busby babes were almost wiped out in Munich. England need continuity to further success in London 2012!

wiggy
25th Aug 2008, 23:46
Nope, I reckon Rainboe's got a point...I think the fact some of you perceive this as a "high risk mode of travel" is interesting....

I reckon the BA cycling team would be more at risk out on a team training ride on any of the UK's roads....the swimming team would be more at risk tavelling on a bus to their venue....

If you are against critical team members travelling in the same mode of transport I guess we'd better ban Captain's and Co-pilots flying on the same aircraft:ugh:

Ex Cargo Clown
25th Aug 2008, 23:48
Jetblast here we come........

wiggy
25th Aug 2008, 23:50
Yep, but we'd better not go there together ........

mad_jock
25th Aug 2008, 23:58
Its not a high risk well actually depending which tosser has done the sums it is.

All depending which fudge factor you use trip miles travelled, num of flights or sandwiches eaten.

I have worked for companys before that have had key people banned from sharing cars, aircraft flights and other modes of transport. And it is a huge pain in the bum if you are one of them.

Its nout to do with the the mode of transport its more to do with eggs in a basket.

Its all stems from that football flight which went in. Some companys go for it others don't care. There are some companys now have split workings places after sept 11 just in case.

Pluto's gone
25th Aug 2008, 23:59
Seen the movie "We Are Marshall"...

757flyer
26th Aug 2008, 00:07
the last BA038 flight that made the news landed near hatton cross!

now BA038 brings team GB home, at least it was on a 747 this time :O

Alistair
26th Aug 2008, 00:19
Nice one oldtora!

Rumour has it they were actually on 4 trays in the aisle during take off with the senior calling stroke over the PA. They reached the rear galley in world record time and received their medals in a lavish ceremony in the crew rest area shortly after.

cod liver oil
26th Aug 2008, 00:28
Maybe a move to spotters corner is in order.....

pic's avail here.....

JetPhotos.Net Photo » G-BNLD (CN: 23911) British Airways Boeing 747-436 by Andrew Simpson (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6339244&nseq=7)

JetPhotos.Net Photo » G-BNLD (CN: 23911) British Airways Boeing 747-436 by Michael K (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6339218&nseq=8)

cod

HarryMann
26th Aug 2008, 01:02
Its all stems from that football flight which went in.I think you'll also find that it also stems from putting 90% of Senior Officers of the Northern Ireland Intelligence Service on one Chinook flight :ugh:

mad_jock
26th Aug 2008, 01:44
I ain't going near commenting on that one thanks very much.

And it was happening before that incident

Buster Hyman
26th Aug 2008, 02:06
Now, you lot see a gold nose...I see a Murray Mint!!!:}:ouch::suspect:

lowerlobe
26th Aug 2008, 03:27
I think it was a great idea by BA to paint the nose like that....PR,pride and advertising all in one....Pity QF did not think of it but then again that would mean spending money..nah can't do that....

As far as "critical team members travelling in the same mode of transport" is concerned ..you have got to be kidding.
Crossing the street in Beijing would have been far more dangerous and just how critical is the team to the UK?

Is klog suggesting that families now should consider travelling separately when on holidays with one parent taking some of the children and the other parent the rest...What happens when there is only one child?

Dan Air 87
26th Aug 2008, 07:48
Anyway, I loved the gold nose painted on the 744 which was a nice touch. Well done BA. Wonder where they did the paint job?

NIGELINOZ
26th Aug 2008, 08:49
I had intended to post another comment about the whingers of Australia and Britain but I believe that it's time to get the thread back on tack,after all it is about the Olympics,so let me repeat that I heartily congratulate the athletes from all countries for their efforts,whether they won Gold,Silver or Bronze or missed out on a medal,the point is that you competed for your country and that deserves congratulations.
It is easy to get caught up in the "We won more medals than you" or "We would have won more medals if we had as many athletes"etc but winning is not everything.
Congratulations especially to the British team for doing so well,and also to the Aussies-a great effort.:ok:
And to Rainboe,Tempsford,Buster Hyman etc thanks for your input,I may not always agree with everything you post but I defend your right to post them.

PC767
26th Aug 2008, 09:41
...in the paint shop.

I had a brief friendship with a premiership football once and I am aware that he wasn't allowed to travel with other premiership footballers in his or their cars. This was a team order and also an insurance issue. But I would note that he was a professional footballer and not a professional driver so the likely hood of his latest excess of car would wiping him and other occupants out was high.

Fortunately pilots do not have the same reputation nor reckless streak as footballers so the days when I was on an B737 with the full Manchester United squad enroute to a europlean match were not an issue.

Am I right in thinking though that in the UK Monarch, the Heir and the Spare are not to travel together.

Gordon17
26th Aug 2008, 10:04
PC767

"I had a brief friendship with a premiership football"

Bit like Tom Hanks in Castaway with his volleyball friend then..........

Buster Hyman
26th Aug 2008, 10:26
Indeed Nigel. Contrary to popular myth, and Murdoch press, I feel most Aussies are rather chuffed about the good showing by "Team GB". I for one look at Australias results & then I look for the Commonwealth countries...hmmm, forgot to add all the Commonwealth medals together....;)

Unfortunately, the media (especially those that spend exorbitant amounts on telecast rights) build an expectation that, whilst somtimes unrealistic, is quite unfair on the athletes. Penciling in Gold medals just heaps added pressure on athletes, and shows absolutely zero respect to the other competitors IMHO.:=

NIGELINOZ
26th Aug 2008, 11:34
Buster H,I agree with your comments re media and public pressure on athletes,Yes,we all love to see athletes win medals and it is a wonderful feeling of pride we experience when they do,but surely the honor of having competed for ypur country,whichever country that is,should also be a source of pride for any athlete,and I am sure that most athletes do feel that way.(at least I hope so

Buster Hyman
26th Aug 2008, 11:38
I liked it when we were crap at the Olympics. The excitement of seeing Raelene Boyle get to the final & come second was worthy of a day off back then! Winning a gold seemed to mean so much more....maybe I'm just getting old.:(

Binoculars
26th Aug 2008, 11:54
Your memory is as faulty and selective as ever, Buster. Raelene Boyle won three silver Olympic medals for Australia, beaten twice by convicted East German drug cheat Renate Stecher. You can google her disqualification for a false start yourself.

There is not a shadow of doubt she was the best drug-free sprinter of her generation, but it's much easier just to sit back and spray bile, isn't it? We Aussies are so good at that.

Edited to throw scorn at Buster's own edit. Your post makes no sense whatsoever now that it reflects the facts, Buster. Why didn't you just delete it?

Regards,
Lonely and Bitter
Mackay

parabellum
26th Aug 2008, 12:13
I still think the finish of the mens speed skating, (winter Olympics) is the best ever! Safe in last position, (albeit a Final), all the leaders crash into each other and the Aussie steams through to a gold medal, priceless!:ok:

CATIII-NDB
26th Aug 2008, 13:57
JetPhotos.Net Photo » G-BNLD (CN: 23911) British Airways Boeing 747-436 by Andrew Simpson (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6339244&nseq=7)

Thanks Cod liver Oil for this - The Jumbo in the pic looks a glum as a "Well known Scotsman" in charge of the Treasury - Cheek by Jowel with a politician lumbered with bringing the "Spectacular Sporting Event" to Sunny Happy thriving GB . A snip at £9.3BN - Sad int'it. Do we really want the games ?

A boost for London yes - Long term value for Britan - no.

CATIII

Sallyann1234
26th Aug 2008, 17:13
A boost for London yes
Rubbish!

1. London council taxpayers have been paying extra on their tax to subsidise the Games and will continue to do so until after they are over.
2. Money is being sucked out of other projects across London to pay for the Olympics. More people will suffer from it than will gain.

The Games bid was orchestrated by K Livingston and S Coe, for their personal glory. Londoners have shown how they feel by booting one of them out of office, unfortunately we have no power to do the same to the other.

mocoman
26th Aug 2008, 18:22
mens speed skating, (winter Olympics) is the best ever!

That was Short-Track speed skating; much faster at the full-size rink; see you in Vancouver for that one. :ok:

A boost for London yes

It will be a boost for some sectors; others will feel no benefit. I fear that the overall picture looks bleak and it will only be service companies and franchise owners directly involved that will profit from 2012. :ugh:

CATIII-NDB
26th Aug 2008, 21:58
Sorry It was a retorical question - no Offence intended to anyone - I personally see a slow motion desaster in the making - Not being funny at all.

Contrite CAT III.

priapism
26th Aug 2008, 23:18
London's will be an Olympics of cock-ups, but a lot more fun | theage.com.au (http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/londons-will-be-an-olympics-of-cockups-but-a-lot-more-fun-20080825-422n.html)

A great article published yesterday ,

sums it up well I think,

Roll on London 2012 - and let's see Scotland get their wish to field their own team.

cod liver oil
27th Aug 2008, 03:14
My pleasure CAT III,

I imagine a special thanks go out to Mr. Andrew Simpson and Michael K who posted the pic's at JetPhotos.Net - The Friendly Way to Fly! (http://www.jetphotos.net) in the first place.

And a big congat's to GB and their 47 olympic medal haul :D

See you in 2012

cod

NIGELINOZ
27th Aug 2008, 10:56
special thanks go out to Mr. Andrew Simpson and Michael K who posted the pic's at JetPhotos.Net - The Friendly Way to Fly! (http://www.jetphotos.net/) in the first place

Sorry for thread drift but seeing such a great pic has reminded me of why I still consider the 747 to be one of,if not the best looking aircraft ever.
Fabulous Photo.:ok:
(Well done TeamGB)

NIGELINOZ
31st Aug 2008, 10:53
2012 torch relay will not leave Britain: report

Posted 8 hours 50 minutes ago
The Olympic torch relay before the 2012 Olympics in London will be restricted to Britain after protests marred the worldwide relay ahead of the Beijing Games, a report has said.
Tessa Jowell, the British Minister with responsibility for the Olympics, told The Sunday Times newspaper she had "a lot of enthusiasm" for the idea of the torch being taken round the "villages, towns and cities in the UK".
"There would be no more powerful way of making them feel part of the Olympics, would there?" Ms Jowell said in an interview.
The weekly said that Ms Jowell would announce that the relay would take place only in Britain, although it did not quote the Minister as saying this.
China's decision to take the torch around the world turned into a global protest by pro-Tibet campaigners, who tried to wrestle the torch from the hands of runners on stages in Europe.
The Beijing torch was surrounded by tracksuit-wearing security minders on its troubled passage around the globe.
Left with a tall order to rival the spectacular Beijing Olympics, the London organisers have promised a more modest Games with less draconian security.
Ms Jowell said the 2012 planners had noticed that some venues in Beijing had sparse crowds.
"My ambition is to see seats filled, every Londoner having the opportunity to see some event, and people being able to come from around the country. It's not simple, but we are determined to crack this," she told the newspaper.

DON T
31st Aug 2008, 20:23
http://static.guim.co.uk/Guardian/sport/gallery/2008/aug/19/olympics20081/[email protected]

mocoman
4th Sep 2008, 21:36
Great photo!

That's a closer race than the 100m Final; not sure who my money is on at the moment.

I'd need to see a side view and then I'd place my bets....:p

Although I think that the Budd factor could come into play...:ok:

Rainboe
4th Sep 2008, 21:42
Once again, well done to our amazing team! (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/britain!-200808181179/)

A Comfy Chair
5th Sep 2008, 02:52
Two Questions -

"Solo" syncronised swimming? :confused:

And how does "Team GB" get to compete together, and yet Hong Kong competes by itself?

It was a bit of a chuckle when they announce that 205 countries are competing, when there are only 192 -195 ish (depending who you ask!) countries in the world....

Barkly1992
5th Sep 2008, 08:02
While everyone is now talking about the next Olympics in London in 2012, let us not forget that the paralympian 'heroes' are about to start their contests in Beijing.

This will be another opportunity for the Oz team to kick British but.

Barkly

:)

NIGELINOZ
5th Sep 2008, 09:15
Rainboe! Well Done!That link really made my day,it's great to know that there still some people who can laugh at themselves,some Aussies could learn a lesson from you.:ok:

Rainboe
5th Sep 2008, 09:49
Thank you Sir! We know how to treat our heroes! (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/heroes-welcomed-home-by-cheering-ad-agencies-200808261200/)

frostbite
5th Sep 2008, 12:21
Un PC as ever, the Paralympics simply says to me 'You think the first lot was pointless and absurd?'.

Binoculars
5th Sep 2008, 15:01
Great site, Rainboe, I've bookmarked it.

In return I offer you the Australian equivalent (http://www.thebladder.com.au/) which I confess doesn't appear to be quite as sharp as yours.

CATIII-NDB
5th Sep 2008, 18:06
Wow ! just how thrashy can you get - Is this what advertising is all about ? - Superficial Yeah in spades - If any suitably qualified representatives of any of the sports persons mentioned, are looking at PPRUNE the sparks will fly. Thanks Rainbow facinating link - Not on my favorites. for very obvious reasons.

Tin Hat time me thinks.

CAT III

AMF
5th Sep 2008, 18:44
NIGELINOZ....2012 torch relay will not leave Britain: report

The Olympic torch relay before the 2012 Olympics in London will be restricted to Britain after protests marred the worldwide relay ahead of the Beijing Games, a report has said.

Tessa Jowell, the British Minister with responsibility for the Olympics, told The Sunday Times newspaper she had "a lot of enthusiasm" for the idea of the torch being taken round the "villages, towns and cities in the UK".

"There would be no more powerful way of making them feel part of the Olympics, would there?" Ms Jowell said in an interview.

The weekly said that Ms Jowell would announce that the relay would take place only in Britain, although it did not quote the Minister as saying this.

Well Ms. Jowell has already cinched a Gold Medal for "How to Rationalize a Plan to Underwhelm People with Safe Mediocrity".

Citizens of the World sending their athletes to this Global Event will no doubt be impressed with the the torch passing from Liverpool to Manchester to Blimey-on-Limey to York, etc. to eventually dribble into London. My, how "powerful" and thrilling for everyone! The international symbolism is quite lost on the provincial Ms Jowell, apparently.

Given the geographic area, it would've been similar if, before the Atlanta Olympics, they would have relegated the torch-run to trotting around within U.S. State of Georgia, except at least there they could claim it had passed through Rome and Athens.

Krystal n chips
6th Sep 2008, 06:08
S'cuse me.... but....if private investors are / were so keen to get their snouts in the trough,,,,,the private investors can :mad: well come up with the shortfall !..or have I missed a rather simplistic concept here ?.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/sep/06/olympics2012.housing

I liked the bit in the last paragraph about, erm, "vegetation and lots of food "though...and a typical English park :hmm:.....does that include dog pooh, needles and wino's then.....and modern yoof getting ratted ?

The temporary facilities bit as a possible solution was quite good as well.....just a slight difference between tripping over cables / mud wallowing etc at a rock concert.....and a major sporting event....the rather obvious start being with the er, paying public for one... a minor detail I know....but one I am sure will be "taken into consideration" of course...:mad:

NIGELINOZ
9th Sep 2008, 10:46
I notice the poms are at it again in the paralympics! Well Done to all.:ok:
Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze TOTAL 1 China 10 12 11 33 2 Great Britain 9 8 3 20 3 United States 8 4 5 17 4 Australia 6 6 11 23 5