PDA

View Full Version : Automating computer startup and internet log on

mrsurrey
17th Aug 2008, 15:33
Hi everyone,

I know it's petty but I would love to come down the stairs in the morning to my computer turned on, browser logged on, and if it could log into my email account automatically as well that would be magical!

Then at 8:30am once my cornflakes are finished I'd love it to shut all the programs down and shut its self down automatically.

Yes pedantic but I reckon it would save me 15 mins every day.

Is it possible? :8:confused::D

Thanks!

MrSurrey

Saab Dastard
17th Aug 2008, 15:50
If your BIOS supports it, it is possible to set a startup time. Check you BIOS documentation to find out if (and how) it works.

If not, the good news is that you can use "wake on LAN" to start up the PC over the network.

The bad news is that you need a server that is running to send the network packet to wake it up!

Once the startup is sorted, it's easy enough to have the OS log in a specific user, and have browser and email programs start automatically, with saved passwords.

You can then use a scheduled task to turn the PC off, at the desired time.

SD

Parapunter
17th Aug 2008, 20:30
Worrabout X10-ing everything?? Pal of mine lives is a small flat & sunk a few hundred quid into X10 just so the kettle is boiled by the time he makes it into the east wing:p

PPRuNeUser0211
18th Aug 2008, 10:52
Mrsurrey,

a) Switching on when you come downstairs:

Option 1: Use the "Boot at time:" or similar line in your bios setup (usually F1, F2, or some other button on startup, look for a line saying "Press xxxx to enter setup" as you switch on)

option 2: In your BIOS setup (all ATX compatible mobos as far as I am aware, therefore almost certainly yours!) there will be an option along the lines of "Boot on Power" or similar, which means that when you switch your PC on at the mains socket, it will automatically switch on & boot. Simply combine with a 5 quid timer socket thinger from woolworths like you use to switch on your desklamps when you're away on holiday. I would suggest you set it to switch on the power 5 mins before you get up, and then switch off around midnight if you go to bed at a sensible time.

b) For browser/email - add firefox/IE to the "Startup" folder in your startmenu (if you're using windows! assumptions... tell us more!) Then simply make your webmail site of choice your browser homepage and tell it to remember you/log you in automatically (easily done on hotmail, am less familiar with Gmail etc etc)

c) Use task scheduler to run the "shutdown.exe" command when you're leaving for work.
(Full tutorial here: Using Task Scheduler to schedule the computer to shut down and restart at a specific time (http://www.winxptutor.com/schsd.htm))
This will quit all the running programs and shutdown your pc...

all assumes you're running windows!

jimtherev
18th Aug 2008, 17:44
Instead of switching off last thing, then hibernate. (In Windows XP do <start> <shut down> and hold down the shift key, which brings up the hibernate option. Other versions of Wx have slightly diff procedures.

Meself, I check emails last thing, & first thing (getalife, Jim:}) so hibernate works fine for me.

ZH875
18th Aug 2008, 18:24
Have a look at this (http://www.dennisbabkin.com/php/download.php?what=WOSB) nice little program, it may do what you want (and it is FREE).

mrsurrey
18th Aug 2008, 19:15
Thanks guys, that great! :ok: