PDA

View Full Version : RAM

askcv
10th Feb 2001, 22:33
I want to add RAM to a couple of PCs.. Can I substitute, or put alongside, SDRAM PC133 when the original spec is PC100? Can I substitute SDRAM for EDO RAM? If the manufacturer says the upper limit is 256MB, can I go over that or will the extra not be recognised?
Thanx...

spannersatcx
11th Feb 2001, 01:52
if your system bus is set at 100mhz you can put in pc133 but it will only run at 100mhz, yes, no as it's a limitation in the BIOS.

DreamCatcher
12th Feb 2001, 12:23
Always very iffy mixing RAM. Stick to the same type and check whether or not it has to be installed in pairs (less likely today). Otherwise you may get all sorts of operating problems.

256MB max? Chances are your system would then go above the threshhold and it would be a waste of RAM: there is an optimum for most OS's.

Cheers.

------------------
If you're not on the edge, then you're taking up too much space.

Squiddley
13th Feb 2001, 06:22
Also, SDRAM and EDO are totally different configurations. SDRAM is 168 pin "DIMM", and EDO is a 72 pin "SIMM". Therefore it won't fit the same slot/socket.

Not sure, but I believe some very early DIMM motherboards had SIMMs to allow mixing of RAM types, and generally RAM has to be paired in like quantities i.e. 32MB with 32MB for best performance.

The other thing is to look for "fast RAM" in terms of latency. On the other hand, I doubt there is any noticeable perfomance increase between CAS2 and CAS3 RAM. (Unless you benchmark video frame rates and gain 1 or 2 :)

Hope the water isn't too muddied now!
RGDS