PDA

View Full Version : AVG Free 8 A .bin file is missing

allthatglitters
17th Aug 2008, 05:13
Swtched on my computer and during the boot up it updates the AVG 8 free antivirus programme, when finished a red explanation mark sat over the programme icon on the task bar, checking there was a coment about not being updated and not being secure. tried running the update again and was informed A . bin file was missing. played for some time but nothing new except the Icons dissapeared from the task bar and the screen along with the entry on the programme list, but security still telling me ok, have restored to several previous points, no diiferent. also in the midst of this microsoft has done a mega update.
help

allthatglitters
17th Aug 2008, 05:29
I have now switched on a 2nd machine and the same thing has happened, except no micobloat update, also I went to the AVG free site and it appears to be down. suppose I will have to wait till there up and about again.

Shunter
17th Aug 2008, 07:02
It's a problem at the AVG end. I'm sure it will be short-lived.

No need to go arsing around with system restore etc. For AVG to start screaming "danger! insecure!" is a little melodramatic, to be honest.

henry crun
17th Aug 2008, 08:07
I have the same problem.

BOAC
17th Aug 2008, 08:30
Edited post from the AVG forum - looks like a 'home' issue

Re: The connection with the update server has failed.
Posted by: rdsok (http://freeforum.avg.com/profile.php?12,15418) - Moderator (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2008 09:55AM

... not the .BIN issue that we must wait for AVG Technologies to address with the corrupt/missing update files.

NB From the same forum, support for 7.5 finishes 31/8

henry crun
17th Aug 2008, 09:55
They have fixed the problem.

Out Of Trim
17th Aug 2008, 11:19
I had a similar problem with AVG 8.0 a few days ago. It wouldn't Update properly. In the end I saved the update files and tried to update them directly.

At first; I thought it still had a problem as no visible difference, then a few minutes later the red exclamation mark disappeared from the tray. All OK since then. :ok:

P.Pilcher
17th Aug 2008, 12:19
I am in the midst of rebuilding Win XP on my main machine - it is fun starting from the rescue disc when you haven't even got SP 2! Anyway, all now updated and I decided to go back to AVG insted of continuing to use Avast. Thus I downloaded the free AVG file that I originally got in about April. I used this file, heavily updated on new XP machine last week. This time, the whole thing gave up the ghost when approximately 6 Mb of data had been downloaded.
At 11.00 today, I downloaded a brand new version of the installation file and this has installed and updated perfectly.

P.P.

Synthetic
17th Aug 2008, 20:14
I had a similar problem after a hack atack last night. As a precaution I re-installed AVG this morning and updated and all was well.

allthatglitters
19th Aug 2008, 03:20
all corrected now. Just have to sort out the noisy fan inside the box.