PDA

View Full Version : Usain Bolt (100m in 9s69).... Freak, Cheetah, or both !?

ehwatezedoing
16th Aug 2008, 19:49
In reference to Howard Hughes topic about Micheal Phelps,
http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/338821-michael-phelps-freak-fish-both.html
The Olympic Games find another incredible athlete in the name of Usain Bolt.

Bolt bolted his 100m Olympic run, left everybody behind, busted the World record while slowing down before the end of it.
What an unbelievable race. :D

Those two, Phelps and Bolt, are creating their own league with their own physical bodies well on top of the others.

I'm not leaving behind their talent and all their years of training but now, I think that any chances to beat them will start at your birth with your 'lucky' physical genes. :uhoh:

Spelling, grammar and syntaxe mistakes are second language induced.

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2008, 22:16
Wasn't there some sprinter who 'raced' a jaguar (or it might have been a cheetah)?

Edited to add:- it was a rugby player:- Habana: The man who races cheetahs - mirror.co.uk (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2007/10/16/habana-the-man-who-races-cheetahs-115875-19957840/)
YouTube - cheetah vs man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd12TPT73F0)

However:- YouTube - man helps a deer from a cheetah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3O1e2l6yDg)

tony draper
16th Aug 2008, 22:44
One thunk yer Cheetah could hit 35 mph?,no human could catch a Cheetah flat out,as far as running jumping or just standing still we bipeds, even the best of us are crap compared to the animal kingdom.
Watched a discussion ont telly tother night re athletics and drugs,they recon some records will probably stand forever because they were drug assisted and they were thinking of setting the records pre serious drug testing back to zero.
:uhoh:

17th Aug 2008, 00:27
Just seen it.

That's GOT to be drugs, surely! :bored:

G-CPTN
17th Aug 2008, 00:30
Or senna . . .

GrumpyOldFart
17th Aug 2008, 01:25
This isn't the Formula 1 thread, G-C... (and he's dead, by the way)

:uhoh:

G-CPTN
17th Aug 2008, 01:41
Ganja then?

con-pilot
17th Aug 2008, 01:43
Ganja then?

In China! Ha, good luck there. :p

ehwatezedoing
17th Aug 2008, 04:06
Senna, Ganja, Phelps, Bolt.... They don't need any drugs (well, beside Ganja :p )

They are/were Mutants!

Richard Taylor
17th Aug 2008, 09:30
Just think what Man could run if we too had a looooong tail...............:ooh:

AND we could change direction quickly if needed...:}

mocoman
17th Aug 2008, 11:50
I watched the race from just behind the commentary positions beside the finish line. No words can describe the distance between him and second place, especially given the way he 'ran' the last 10m or so. Previous 100m finals I have seen have never had that gap.

I can't wait to see what he does in the 200m later in the week. I'll be going back to the Birds Nest to watch that one without a doubt.

Talking to a UK sports radio jouno today a collegue was told that they reckon he is easily capable of taking another couple of tenths off the 100m time given the opportunity.

:ok:

Re-entry
17th Aug 2008, 14:51
Did you know that cheetahs whistle like songbirds to each other?

Transported some of them once and was surprised by this. Beautiful creatures (a bit stinky though).

And the fastest animal on the planet is........

the sparrowhawk in a dive.

Captain Stable
17th Aug 2008, 17:23
Roger McGough wrote a fine poem...
Uncle Jed,
Durham bred,
raced pigeons for money.

He died a poor man
however
as the pigeons were invariably too quick for him

airship
17th Aug 2008, 17:55
I've never quite understood why, for the same reasons there's a hare substitute on the greyhound tracks, there aren't for example, extremely hungry lions, tigers or leopards with a taste for human flesh released just after the athletes get the official "go".

I realise it'd be a gimmick mostly, but I truly believe that if all the athletes really thought that if the slowest amongst them all would get eaten by said tigers, lions or whatever, the records would more likely be broken...?! :p

C130 Techie
17th Aug 2008, 21:21
I have heard that in an attempt to make the London Marathon more interesting next year they plan to shoot the last 6 runners at the end of each mile:}:eek:

Howard Hughes
18th Aug 2008, 08:39
Watched a discussion ont telly tother night re athletics and drugs,they recon some records will probably stand forever because they were drug assisted and they were thinking of setting the records pre serious drug testing back to zero.
Errr, there have been records set at this Olympics that are drug assisted and they will be broken in the future! There are more different types of drugs than there are events in the Olympics. Drug testing is a bit of a misnomer, they don't so much test for performance enhancing substances, but substances that mask the performance enhancing substances! :hmm:

Apologies for the thread drift! ;)

Now back on topic, I think Bolt's performance is nothing short of incredible, I would love to have seen the man run flat out all the way, I suspect the World mark could be considerably lower than 9.69, perhaps even the low 9's...:eek:

pba_target
18th Aug 2008, 10:03
Some chap on radio 4 thismorning was saying someone clever has analysed the run and reckons he'd have made 9.58 if he'd run it in rather than coasting...

johnfairr
18th Aug 2008, 11:26
Without wishing to upset our PC brethren, it has come to my notice that Usain Bolt is, in fact, an anagram of Sunlit Abo. Might explain a few things . . . . . . . :E

jf

airship
18th Aug 2008, 16:44
That last post might even have been funny, if Oztralia had any of their own 100m sprinters competing seriously. More so if they'd been Abos I guess. After all, let's admit it, the day an Abo wins or places in the Olympics 100m, that's the day the sunlight will shine out of my arse (or should that be johnfairr's arsehole... :rolleyes:

Of course, you know why, no Brit or Ozzie has come close...? Just like that S. African long-distance runner (forgot her name) insisted running barefoot, the Ozzies insist in wearing flipflops (rubber sandals to you johnfairr)...:p

mocoman
18th Aug 2008, 17:49
Ah.....

Zola Budd.

;-)

G-CPTN
18th Aug 2008, 19:51
WRT records, apparently some sponsors pay bounties to their protégés for establishing a new record, so (it has been suggested) the competitors are not too keen to raise the standard too much - so they can break it again and earn another bounty . . .

Capt.KAOS
18th Aug 2008, 22:54
With a bit more competition and properly fastened laces Bolt would have run 9.55. To me he's a Cheatah.

Anyone wondered about the absence of many US and Russian gold medal winnars in Athletics. I know a truckload of Russian athletes have been caught in out of competiton drug tests just before the Olympics.

Forkandles
19th Aug 2008, 08:19
Of course, you know why, no Brit or Ozzie has come close...?

Allan Wells didn't win an olympic gold in the 100m then?

Overdrive
19th Aug 2008, 19:00
WRT records, apparently some sponsors pay bounties to their protégés for establishing a new record, so (it has been suggested) the competitors are not too keen to raise the standard too much - so they can break it again and earn another bounty . . .

Welcome to the cynics club :ok:. I wondered too.

A stunning run though.

BombayDuck
19th Aug 2008, 19:27
Maybe he just eased off because he has at least two events more (200m and I suppose the 4x100) to compete in? Why go flat out when you know you're winning and can preserve yourself to add to your kitty?

ehwatezedoing
20th Aug 2008, 16:29
BBC SPORT | Olympics | Athletics | Bolt claims 200m gold with record (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/athletics/7572131.stm)

Binoculars
20th Aug 2008, 16:40
I watched him take his golden shoes off and prayed he wasn't going to spray them into the crowd for someone to become a freak millionaire.

I wonder what he has in mind for them?

larssnowpharter
20th Aug 2008, 16:51
All I can say - and one does not use the word lightly - awesome.

Olympic sprint double, breaks both World records on the way, including an 'unassailable' 200m record.

Never seen the like!

Wondering if, as he matures and if he stays out of trouble, he could go for gold in the 400m in London.

As I said, awesome. A great honour to have seen it happen.

corsair
20th Aug 2008, 16:52
Call me a cynic if you like but if it 'Seems to good to be true, then it is too good to be true'. It has to be drug assisted and in time that will all come out.

As for Michael Phelps, well it just proves if you spent your whole life, 365 days a year, 'eating, swimming and sleeping' then your reward will be a few metal tokens covered in gold plate and your name in the record books. But what has he actually achieved?

The Olympics is as irritating and pointless as Big Brother. For the rest of the four years no one watches swimming or coxless fours or any of the other minority sports featured in this extravaganza of extreme exertion in the east. Why are we expected to get excited about it now?

Overdrive
20th Aug 2008, 17:42
Maybe he was keeping something back for the 200? He's done it again, the lad...

Um... lifting...
20th Aug 2008, 17:45
As for Michael Phelps, well it just proves if you spent your whole life, 365 days a year, 'eating, swimming and sleeping' then your reward will be a few metal tokens covered in gold plate and your name in the record books. But what has he actually achieved?

Well, if Nike has their way (I gather they are courting him), soon there will be all manner of new neon-coloured and garish swim-related stuff that you don't need but will be sure to be blitzed with in their latest marketing campaign. Phelps is the Tiger Woods of swimming and Speedo and Nike are Callaway and Nike Golf.

As for his personal rewards, read a story on him written in 2004. Poor fellow is more at home in the water than anywhere else, it would seem. Watched an interview with Q&A from various fans... he didn't field the questions particularly well.

It's been estimated that as far as lifetime earnings, each of those medals (token is actually an excellent word for them in this usage) will be worth about $12.5M for young Michael (they of course appreciated in value each time he won another... his 6 golds, silver, and bronze from Athens kept in him reasonably good trim, but nothing like it's predicted these will) if his managers strike while the iron is hot... which they're doing. So, I daresay he has probably achieved what many of us would if we could... the ability to not hold down a conventional job... ever. As far as what he has achieved for you... well, he's managed to get under your skin... can certainly say that for the lad...

The Olympics are designed to whip up patriotic fervor, and among those of a certain age, still manage to do that. Beyond that, they're designed so that people making obscure things can sell more of them to you. On the one hand, I think it's good to see that there are people out there plugging away at obscure sports like team handball and so forth for nothing but the love of it (face it, you can't make a living from a lot of these sports unless you coach them) and they probably deserve their crack at a little glory.

On the other hand, watching professional athletes who make untold millions per year dressing up in their national uniform so that they can give a drubbing to some real amateurs from a small country is shameful. So too, is the Olympic site selection and development process. There are very few former Olympic sites worldwide that haven't fallen into complete disrepair or demolition.

mocoman
20th Aug 2008, 18:31
Usain Bolt 200m WR

That's all I am allowed to say on the matter with contract restrictions as they are...

Further implications to follow:
:ugh:

:{

BombayDuck
21st Aug 2008, 11:43
This run was as incredible as the previous one. And this time, though he was three-four metres ahead, he didn't slow down! You could make out he was glancing at the clock all the way down the home stretch, knowing he could beat the World Record.

I confess to being a fan of Michael Johnson's - I had a poster of his on my wall many years ago - and I never thought his record could be beaten any time soon!

Funny story to add... After Bolt won the 100m, dad and I were debating who was the "fastest person on earth". He was of the opinion that only the 100 m record should count, so Bolt was the best. I said that Johnson was better as he did 200m in a time less than twice the 100m record. So his average speed was certainly greater and so should be called the "fastest" ever.

Well, now Bolt has rendered one half of that dispute completely superfluous. :D

Now, to only debate which run was faster! ;)

angels
21st Aug 2008, 11:55
Bombay - How ya doing mate?

You can't just double the time of the 100 metres. The reason is that the first 30 or so metres of a race are the acceleration from the starting blocks to full pace. In the 200 you enter the second 100 metres at full pace, a second start is not necessary. I think.....:}

Anyway, have you seen that Rogge has had a pop at Bolt saying he should have more respect. He didn't like the showboating in the 100m.

Rule3
21st Aug 2008, 23:47
No need to ask anymore.:D When comparing the 100m and 200m, remember one is from a crouch start, with a reaction time of about 0.7 sec run on a straight track, and the other is run around a tight bend.:ok:

ehwatezedoing
22nd Aug 2008, 17:15
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/athletics/7576737.stmhttp://

And third! :ok:

4x100m relay gold with a new World record.

G-CPTN
22nd Aug 2008, 17:23
BBC SPORT | Olympics | Athletics | Bolt grabs third gold and record (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/athletics/7576737.stm)
37.10secs / 4 = 9.275secs!

tony draper
22nd Aug 2008, 17:36
Hmmm, for all the progress humankind has made in health scientific training methods diet ergonomic footwear the increase in size on human beings themselves we have only managed to shave less than a second off the 100 meters in the last one hundred and one years.
World record 1907, 10.9 seconds,world record now? 9.96 seconds?
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
22nd Aug 2008, 17:51
Apparently a significant factor in Bolt's performance is attributed to his height (and leg length). He makes a couple of fewer strides than others to cover the distance.
One can imagine that an eight foot human might reduce the time taken (as would a proper giant).
http://www.divnickgolf.com/images/wadlow.jpg

mocoman
22nd Aug 2008, 18:53
Phew.... what a week!

Richard Taylor
22nd Aug 2008, 21:10
You godda watch those Jamaicans...they'll be playing cricket next...:eek:

fitliker
23rd Aug 2008, 05:26
A family mamber was given steroids by the doctor as part of the cancer treatment .When the doctor was asked about the safety of the steroids he reply was "The steroids have been tested on all the best athletes in the world " so keep up the good testing on these human guinea pigs.At least it save sthe chimps from being experimented on by strange drug labs:ok::ok: