PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Machines

green granite
16th Aug 2008, 07:04
Has any one got experience using them? I've got fed up having to re-boot to swap between windows and linux so I downloaded microsoft's VM program, the Suse linux disc I have is a 'live cd' one with the option to install only after the program is running. Despite giving the VM 500 megs of ram to play with and the VD up to 50 GBytes I can't get suse to run straight from the cd. It gets as far as checking the cpu speed options (about 1/2 way through) the screen just goes blank and all disc operations cease. Other than downloading the 'non live cd' version, about 5 gigs worth.

Any thoughts? (I specifically want Suse)

green granite
16th Aug 2008, 12:54
Ok sorted, dumped the miocrosoft VM and installed the Sun "virtual box" and the install went like a dream (Ididn't even need to RTFM). I can now switch between linux and windows without re-booting all the time tis brilliant :ok:

green granite
17th Aug 2008, 17:05
I didn't have any problems with setting up virtual box at all it's very intuitive but if you want to run both systems all the time you will need a fair ammount of ram (I've got 4gigs so I gave the VM 1/2 gig and it seems quite happy) If you're going to run xp it might be better to use the microsoft virtual machine as you can tell it which microsoft os you want to install.