PDA

View Full Version : Rad Gammage

Dessert Aviator
16th Aug 2008, 06:45
I have just read the article in the GDN relating to the treatment of Mrs Gammage and the total lack of support from GF and the Bahrain Govt'.
The situation stinks!!! Anyone one of our families could be in her predicament.
You are on your own here and never think otherwise, just look to the ongoing saga of the Dhow catastrophe as further proof.
If some one can help please step forward and do so.

jackbauer
16th Aug 2008, 08:30
I too read the article with a heavy heart. It's nothing short of a disgrace that a family who gave 33 years to GF should be treated in such a terrible way. Obviously a warning to those who are of the belief that there is dignity in GF management.

Firbolgs
16th Aug 2008, 15:39
Any chance anyone can post the GDN article?

goudie
16th Aug 2008, 15:45
Here

</title> </head> <body topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" bottommargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"> <div align="left"> <table border="0" width="1000" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" id="table1"> <tr> <td valign=top> <div align="lef (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=226436&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=31149)

ddd
16th Aug 2008, 16:31
THE widow of a Gulf Air pilot who died almost a year ago claims she is still waiting for money she is owed by the company.

Captain Rad Gammage suffered a heart attack and died at BDF Hospital on September 10 as a result of severe medical complications.

The Briton was 60 at the time of his death and had worked for the airline for more than 30 years.

However, his widow Roni told the GDN she had spent the past year pressuring Gulf Air to release money owed to her as her husband's beneficiary.

She is still waiting for her husband's salary from last September, his travel adjustment allowance, death in service insurance and indemnity.

"My husband worked for Gulf Air for 33 years," she said from her home in Cyprus.

"I do understand it can take time, but since his death not one person from Gulf Air has contacted me."

Mrs Gammage said Gulf Air had told her that according to Bahraini law monies owed must be sent to the Justice Ministry, which would then release the funds.

She claimed that because she lived in Cyprus, Gulf Air had advised her to appoint a lawyer to represent her at the ministry.

"My husband was a conscientious worker and never had a sick day in his life,"

she said.

"It's like my husband was a name and number and no-one cares.

"The first anniversary of my husband's death is coming up and I'm struggling."

Mrs Gammage said she came to Bahrain in January and appointed a lawyer to handle the case.

However, since then she has not heard from the lawyer and has been unable to contact him - claiming he does not answer or return her phone calls.

She further claimed that she tried contacting Gulf Air management - including chief executive officer Bjšrn NŠf - on several occasions, but was transferred from one department or person to another.

"I got someone to go to the lawyer and the lawyer told him that he couldn't clear the money from the Justice Ministry because there is no money," she said.

"But they (Gulf Air) say they have sent this money to the Justice Ministry.

"I tried NŠf, his personal assistant and human resources department to ask where the money is - how long do I have to wait?"

Mrs Gammage is now pleading with Gulf Air to send her a receipt or proof that the money had been deposited with the ministry, which her lawyer could then show to the Justice Ministry.

"Everyone's giving up on me," she said.

"You need someone powerful who would call up (the Justice Ministry) and find out what's going on, but they (Gulf Air) should help.

Mrs Gammage's lawyer was unavailable for comment and a Gulf Air spokesman claimed the matter was now out of its hands.

"Gulf Air has done everything on its part to resolve this matter and the issue is now with the Justice Ministry and the insurance company," said the spokesman.

"However, we are willing to assist in any way possible."

[email protected]

ex desert dweller
16th Aug 2008, 17:35
Believe me Roni was reluctant to go to these lengths to remedy the situation. Let's hope it has a positive outcome. Take note anybody considering joining GF this treatment will not be included in their TC's

tmax
16th Aug 2008, 21:44
What is important for them, that QPR won the match few days ago!!!!!!!!
Shame on you little pr...s who are in leave (senior management)!

parabellum
17th Aug 2008, 01:54
Maybe time to change the lawyer? A long time ago I had recourse to use a Bahraini lawyer to resolve an issue with GF and the Government, I used a lady lawyer whose surname was Khalifa, no one messed with her. Is she still practising, maybe someone close to Roni can advise her?

clevlandHD
17th Aug 2008, 05:40
That is a lesson to all of us: put as much money as you can away from the GCC. If the worst should happen, the last thing you want is for your loved ones to beg to feed themselves. Good luck to her!

weido_salt
17th Aug 2008, 17:15
Here is a perfect example of what will happen when working for any outfit in a 3rd world country. They don't give a toss about or your family and probably never will.While you are well and earning money for them, things will seem all good and OK. However should that situation change through no fault of your own, for e.g., they will drop you like a hot potato.If anyone thinks any different,no matter how far up the food chain you may think you are, then think again.

To help avoid relying on these types in time of need, carry your own medical insurance the covers medical evacuation. I have done so for the past 25 years.
W.S.

radron1
30th Aug 2008, 14:45
company has contacted me still pending who are you plse roni

Dessert Aviator
30th Aug 2008, 19:53
Hi Roni,
I'm a Brit expat who worked with Rad and enjoyed the odd beer. If I can shake the tree I will. Rgds

Al Fakhem
31st Aug 2008, 06:37
With Ramadan coming up, the bureaucracy will now play the religious card for sitting on their lazy collective a§§es for yet another month.

Captain Sensible
31st Aug 2008, 07:23
We had so much trouble getting money finally paid to wife of one of our people who died of heart attack at work - all centred round problem of not having a Bahrain-based Will - a lesson to us all, but we got there in the end by going pretty high up basically; Roni, you can P.M. me.

Too many of us are unaware of what the payout to widows/family entails. 2 points:

1. As I mentioned, a Will drawn up in Bahrain to cover disposition of local assets is vital for a Bahrain judge to make a ruling for funds to be released. A UK based Will will only be accepted if endorsed with an affidavit from the British Embassy - not too easy to achieve I believe, and expensive. For anyone who owns a house here, this is a serious measure to take.

2. Gulf Air over the years since I first joined, have changed the insurance companies that insure the "Death-in-Benefit" payout. For death in service while on duty: basically as a result of an accident, 4 times the annual salary is payable. However, for death by natural causes - heart attack (even occurring on duty), drowning whilst boating off duty say, they had to get another company to cover, and the payout is only 2 times annual salary.

Hope this helps; I've found so many people just don't know what happens when the worst happens, and GF's wheels grind so slowly.

ex desert dweller
31st Aug 2008, 17:50
At last offers of assistance for Roni are coming in.which I know are needed and fully appreciated. Let's hope they're effective.

The points raised by Capt. Sensible are obviously important. Surely in the light of previous problems this information should have been promulgated to all concerned and not confined to the privileged few.

As a follow up, in such emotional and stressful times all assistance should be rendered by the relevant Department to achieve the required results.

In days of yore we had a PLC whose inter-departmental contacts would have ensured this would have been carried out.

NG_Kaptain
31st Aug 2008, 17:57
Do these will issues apply to the other Gulf States? The will I have in my home country has my wife as beneficiary with my children next if we both are deceased. Is it also true that irregardless of your beneficiary your oldest son has priority?

tmax
31st Aug 2008, 20:40
Money where transfered to the ministry of justice as per law but Rad case is bit compicated cause there is more family members involved! second Wife or children! and that is well knowed to roni and explained to her numerous times in the past!GF has nothing to do with that.It is the country and the family status of RAD. money has to go to the right person, that is all about!!

mickeydazzler
1st Sep 2008, 10:09
great training captain....remember being brand new and him taking me under his wing...wonderful man...

icarus sun
1st Sep 2008, 12:18
Problems like this occur in all ME countries due difference between Roman[uk, us,Europe]and local Sharia Law. Just takes lot of time to get paperwork. If married with family/divorced get local lawyer before anything happens.

ddd
5th Sep 2008, 03:37
Payout agony for pilot's widow

A GRIEVING widow, preparing to mark the first anniversary of her husband's death and what would have been their 22nd wedding anniversary, says she is still waiting for a much-needed payout.

Gulf Air Captain Rad Gammage suffered a heart attack and died at BDF Hospital on September 10 as a result of severe medical complications.

The 60-year-old Briton had worked for the airline for 33 years, leaving behind his wife Roni as his sole beneficiary.

But instead of receiving his salary from last September, travel adjustment allowance, death in service insurance and indemnity, a few months later, she has spent the last year pursuing the airline for the money.

Ms Gammage, 57, last month told the GDN that no one from the airline had

contacted her about the issue, despite repeated attempts by her for answers.

However, since the article appeared she said two top officials called her.

"They are now saying they have located the money and have proof they sent it to the Justice and Islamic Affairs Ministry," she said from her home in Pafos, Cyprus.

"The said they will help me in dealing with the matter and have tried to call my lawyer."

Since her husband's death Ms Gammage has been living off the BD7,000 she got when she sold his car, but says the money is now running out.

"I am not a poor person but I need cash to be able to live," she said.

"Friends are sick and tired of me asking for help and I am hitting a cash crisis."

Ms Gammage, a former chief stewardess who worked for Gulf Air for 10 years, is also having to cope with the couple's 22nd wedding anniversary, which falls today.

"I lived in Bahrain for 30 years and I know the way things work," she said.

"But I want to be able to move on with my life.

"I am just going on and on and I have got to do all the legwork. I am spending a fortune on lawyers."

Mrs Gammage said Gulf Air told her that according to Bahraini law the money owed must be sent to the Justice and Islamic Affairs Ministry, which would then release the funds.

But she claimed that because she lived in Cyprus, she was advised to appoint a lawyer to represent her at the ministry.

Mrs Gammage came to Bahrain in January and appointed a lawyer to handle the case, but since then she has not heard from him and has been unable to contact him.

She is also still waiting for Gulf Air to send her a receipt or proof that the money had been deposited with the Justice and Islamic Affairs Ministry. Gulf Air officials were unavailable for comment, but the airline earlier said the matter was out of its hands and with the Justice Ministry. However, a spokesman said the company was willing to assist in any way it could.

dartman2
5th Sep 2008, 06:40
A terrible situation but typical of operators in the region. The lawyers should attempt to take on GF in a more user friendly part of the world. Another Gulf airline had an aircraft "tied" up for a while in the UK due to some other monies owed to a former employee.

40&80
19th Nov 2008, 17:32
It is now November.....Any progress on the pay out?

Desert_Storm
20th Nov 2008, 15:55
Sad story and very unfair. It reminds me of a similar situation that occured not too long ago in Dubai (EK) with a fellow Colombian Pilot who died on the SZR (Alberto Arevalo). I'm not really up to date with the development of this case but the last I heard was that EK refused to give his widow what he was entittled to from Insurance, Salaries,etc. Apparently, EK is not denying what he owes the deceased pilot but claims that all expat are subjet to the local laws hence, the money has to be given to the closest MALE relative of Alberto (Brother, Father or to his oldest MALE son, but his oldest son is like 6 or 9 years old!!!!!!). Anway, as soon as I heard about this situation, I rushed to my Embassy looking for some clarification but they weren't sure about what to do in this cases but are working on it. My advise for the guys like me living in the UAE is to go the next 23rd to a conference to be held in Dubai (Don't know in which hotel); this conference is under the patronage of LAS DAMAS LATINAS OF THE UAE and apparently, an specialized lawyer on this matters will give some advise in case we have he same situation (God forbid). I don't have the e-mail or webpage of Las Damas Latinas, but I'm pretty sure some ppruner has it so please, try to post the address or telephone numbers. Cheers!!!!!!

fractional
20th Nov 2008, 22:33
Desert_Storm, try this out: Circulo de Damas Latinas de Dubai (http://www.circulolatinasdubai.com/)
According with my rough, roughly Spanish, somewhere under Escribánnos, you'll have a page to address them. Good luck.

parabellum
25th Nov 2008, 10:11
Roni - I knew Rad, I was in GF too, I had a minor problem and used one of the Khalifa family to give me an opinion and it was successful. It sounds as though your lawyer may be useless and a change is in order, not always easy but people in Bahrain tend not to mess with the Royal Family:

I came up with this one:

Haya Rashed Al Khalifa Attorneys & Legal Consultants (http://www.hierosgamos.org/hg/db_lawfirms.asp?action=page2&pcomp=5920) Manama, Bahrain Attorneys and Legal Consultants

First Floor
Bahrain Development Bank Building , P.O. Box 1188, Diplomatic Area
Phone: +973 17 537 771

This was meant to be a PM but I can't find your posts, even if they only contact your existing lawyer and put a word in his ear it might help?
Probably worth a 'phone call. Hope this is of some help.