PDA

View Full Version : Personal Firewall...

What_does_this_button_do?
9th Feb 2001, 16:08
Just in case you were looking for a Virus Sweeper/Internet Firewall solution for your home PC...

I have just purchased Norton Internet Security (approx 40GBP) which has virus protected my PC and stops any gits trying to get into my machine - also has the added benefit of parental control so you can stop your kiddies from accessing some sites endorsed by Slasher. Also can stop the adverts appearing and those damn popup windows....

Buttons

SR-71
9th Feb 2001, 20:45
If you are on a tight budget and have anti virus software I would recommend www.zonelabs.com (http://www.zonelabs.com) This is a 1.6Mb download that is FREE (sorry, I shouldn't shout) for personnal use and is very easy to use and comprehensive and I think it also can protect you from nasty emails. Recommended to me by the all-powerfull ExSimGuy.

Try it, it's free

AeroBoero
9th Feb 2001, 21:41
I also have the Norton firewall. Altough I must say before the last update , he did not catch one or two things that ZoneAlarm blocked. Now is working fine. The only advantage from Norton for me is basically the Cookies block and Pop-Up windows.
But if you have another ways to deal with that, the ZoneAlarm is FREE and waiting for you to download it!

Planned Root
11th Feb 2001, 14:30
Well, I just did not believe it could happen to me. I was just accessing a website and then received an IE warning to delete all files on drive C as a theft had just been detected.

As it occurred a heap of IE windows began opening and so I immediately disconnected and shut the computer down. All is fine now and a virus scan has proved negative.

Its probably known as closing the gate after the horse has bolted, but it has made me pull my finger out and install ZoneAlarm.

Don't think it can't happen!!!

------------------
"You're too fat"

Lurk R
14th Feb 2001, 07:56
Sounds like the trojan horse has bolted!!!

criticalmass
14th Feb 2001, 13:12
Also running Zonealarm here (just updated to latest version) and very pleased with it.

autobrakemedium
16th Feb 2001, 03:56
I am working with BT Openworld ADSL and Norton Firewall and so far this evening I have had my ports scanned about 17 times!!