PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a clever win32 programmer

IO540
15th Aug 2008, 20:45
I have a SATA RAID (mirror) hard drive array on a winXP PC. The controller is a Silicon Image 3132 Softraid 5 PCI card.

I also have one application which I have been using for 12 years, Agent email/usenet client, which uses a lot of FLUSH calls (as evident when looking at file activity with FILEMON) and the driver for the SI RAID controller implements this badly, resulting in extremely heavy disk activity, slowing down this application (but no other) around 100x.

I am looking for someone who can quickly knock up a little prog which intercepts these FLUSH calls and dumps them. Ideally it should be active only when this app is running, because I believe windoze calls the FLUSH function when shutting down. It would be a "filter driver"; details here (http://windowsitpro.com/Windows/Articles/ArticleID/4795/pg/2/2.html).

Sil Image are totally nonresponsive.

Obviously I could chuck away this controller and replace it with say an Adaptec one, but I don't think this would work because different RAID controllers use different blocks of metadata at the start of each hard drive.

Parapunter
15th Aug 2008, 20:52
You don't sound, in all honesty, like you need a lot of help.:8

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Aug 2008, 20:16
I'm sure I could write this for you ... but you wouldn't want me to, because for the same price you could buy several new PCs, and/or many new email clients.