PDA

View Full Version : Steve van der McClaren

Richard Taylor
15th Aug 2008, 19:15
Anyone else hear the startling press conference given by the ex-England Boss (*I use the term loosely!:}) where he has obviously been partaking in the Dutch waccy baccy since becoming FC Twente Enschede manager.

I heard him summarising on the radio in Euro 2008 for the Beeb - he sounded "normal" (well, as "normal" as he could sound!). But the presser he gave (I think when they had been drawn Arsenal in the recently played 1st leg of the Champions League - or was it the UEFA Cup) was weird, McClaren was talking in English but with an unmistakeable Dutch twang! Or was he taking the P***?

They played the Audio today & Alan Green (arch McClaren critic on Radio 5 Live of course!) split his rather considerable sides laughing!

Maybe McClaren was auditioning for a new version of Van der Valk!:rolleyes:

TURIN
15th Aug 2008, 22:01
YouTube link here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8oN58cyp2c)

What a KNOB!

tony draper
15th Aug 2008, 22:39
Well the chap is a footy manager,he's not likely to rush out and discover gravity is he.
The Dutch accent when speaking English has always puzzled me,I mean it dont sound anything like Dutch,yer French sound French when speaking English,and yer German likewise they sound German even when they speak a proper language like English,so why the strange shusshing sound in yer Dutchman when he speaks English?
It's not a unpleasant accent just strikes me as strange.
:)

barry lloyd
15th Aug 2008, 23:12
I think Mr McClaren was in 'I'm speaking to a foreigner' mode. This does three things:
1) It makes him look a total pillock in his own country.
2) It is demeaning to our European neighbours, especially the Dutch, many of whom speak better English than our own.
3) It highlights the uselessness of the British when it comes to speaking another language.

If Mr McClaren could see beyond the end of a football pitch, he would realise that there are far more Europeans speak English than English who speak European, as it were. Yet another example of Britain in decline.

Parapunter
16th Aug 2008, 07:57
On the Taylor scale, he'll be rehabilitated in twenty or so years. Perhapsh after a little shmoke, he jush cant find his umbrella...