PDA

View Full Version : Matching colours in 2 monitors

Mac the Knife
28th Dec 2001, 13:23
OK chaps. I've got two 17" monitors running off a Matrox G450 Dualhead - a MAG XJ707 and an LG Studioworks/HiSync 700S. I'm having trouble getting colours to match. I'm doing a lot of graphic work involving red and flesh tones (clinical slides) and it's a bit annoying getting the colors right in one monitor, switching over to the other and they then look subtly different.

At the moment I've got the color management files set up as xj707 (correct) for the one and 700S (correct) for the second. Is this how it should be or should they both use the same colour profile? I can twiddle the MAG gamma through the Matrox software and the the LG color temp/RGB through the OSD.

Is there an easy way to match the colours or is it just fiddle and see? And how about the brightness & contrast? Are there any test cards out there that would make the job easier?

Thanks (and Happy New Year) in advance.

Mac

BayAreaLondoner
28th Dec 2001, 22:24
The fundamental problem may end up being the tube used by the monitor. If they aren't the same, then the phosphors may be slightly different and different enough to make matching impossible.
The other thing I can think of is to try:
Make sure that on the monitor settings you set the colour temperature to the same value if possible. This may end up being a "look at it and see" exercise.

By the way, this colour matching thing is why Pantone colours are so important in electronic publishing. Designers will use their printed swatch of Pantone colours to choose the one they want and use Pantone 465 or whatever in their graphics program so that when it prints out it will look consistent (note consistent rather than the same).