PDA

View Full Version : Merged: SAW cancels HIR flights

feenix
15th Aug 2008, 00:44
I see that SAW has canx all their Monday,Wednesday,Friday and Sunday flights to Hir and now only operate on Tuesday,Thursday and Saturday. Have they finally got sick of losing money or are they realising the aircraft is not really meant for the route after their latest incident.It just goes to show how incorrect the claims made by certain posters in other posts that they are there for the longhaul and even funnier that they are financially supported by the Solomons government as Solair is finished. Where do these people get this stuff ? Do they just invent it to make their post better or are they just plain gullible.

wateroff
15th Aug 2008, 00:57
Haha dork, watch this space - it will be filled with the blue and white.

feenix
15th Aug 2008, 01:25
That's a great idea Bigger aircraft so you can lose even more money. Bring it on !!!!!!!!!!

wateroff
17th Aug 2008, 03:43
Whats it to you anyway? Why not just wish people well and hope all prospers?

Is your life that boring you need to have a stab at someone, get a life. You must be too busy running you own highly successful business, you seem to be an expert and in the know.

Anyway, I wish you well and hope you fill the hole that seems to be causing you some personal grief, unbeknownst to you.

:)

FoxtrotAlpha18
17th Aug 2008, 06:59
...Anyway, I wish you well and hope you fill the hole that seems to be causing you some personal grief, unbeknownst to you...

...and jump into it and pull the dirt in over you!

feenix
17th Aug 2008, 08:12
Very touchy you SAW people Just stating a fact i.e. how do survive when a 70 to 90 seat aircaft operates a 6+ hour flight with single digit average loads. ANSWER you don't unless you have an endless pit of money to waste.
Wateroff without getting too nasty you dork, unlike your poor unfortunate self I am happy with my lot and you don't need to be an expert to see these operations are not econmoically sustainable.
Finally I wish you as much goodwill as you wish me but would still like to know why the flights were cancelled and why people invent these buls--t stories based on pure fiction

Flying Monk
17th Aug 2008, 09:29
Which big space is going to be filled with blue and white?

And is the reduced schedule to / from Honiara also a secret. The SAW website has a news item about flying to Cairns dated June but nothing since so I wonder what the big deal is?

Come on guys tell us before we read it in the Cairns Post!

Cool banana
17th Aug 2008, 09:54
Must be making more money on the CNS-POM services for PX

sayallafter
17th Aug 2008, 11:37
Why is Pixie cross hiring a SAW 145 to operate the CS - POM - CS route?

I always thought the F 100 had good loads in and out of CS.!!!!

100 seats vs 50 (or minus).

OFFSET 2R
17th Aug 2008, 13:41
feenix

You seem to be such an expert on aircraft types to be used on this sector.

You should suggest what type should be on the run?

Offset

wateroff
17th Aug 2008, 15:29
I say again, Why do you care so much?

And you believe stuff posted on pprune..................... :bored: It must be true!!

It always seem to be the same few on here that cant wait to speculate or point out something they see as a negative - shock - horror - doom - gloom.

Speculate on - speculate on, makes for fun.

Cool banana
18th Aug 2008, 06:33
Told something to do with crewing and a/c out due maintenance for the PX F100

Crazy 88
18th Aug 2008, 14:48
The reason we, or, sorry, I, give a crap, is that SAW are interviewing at the moment, and, god help us if we believe the spin-doctors who tell us its all fine, and rapidly expanding...blah, blah...

See, this is a very important point...I dont want to leave my current position overseas, just to return to a flea-pit!....Sure, I want to return to Oz, but come on, dont piss me around with false and empty promises. The wife will kill me if we return, and this lot goes broke....

This effects my life....its not a pissing-contest about whether they are nice fellows, or really trying hard to make it in a depressed environment...they probably are....but that's not what concerns me right now....I just dont want the smoke and mirror stories。

...and all the info I can get right now, is you blokes letting me know how you see it...fleas and all

Thanks

I want to believe...but this seems like a nightmare I cant be a part of now

...thanks to all you fellas with info

Casper
18th Aug 2008, 20:22
I'd tread warily, Crazy 88. SAW and SAW Crewing may not be marching to the same beat.

wateroff
19th Aug 2008, 01:43
Well mate there are ways to go about things, maybe just ask next time, rather than pointing out what you perceive to be a hole in the boat. The industry is hard enough.
Good Luck with your decision.

Lorditch
19th Aug 2008, 12:53
I too have an interview scheduled with SAW but also have a well paid slot overseas and likewise would want factual up to date info so as to be able to make an informed decision. Oz will always be home but I wouldn't want to bet my families future on a maybe. It seems getting factual info on SAW is like pulling teeth. And yes, before all you would be wanna be experts aim your spouts, I have picked up the phone and asked them personally some indepth questions but received only vague replies.

Casper
19th Aug 2008, 20:18
As posted above, SAW and SAW Crewing maybe telling differing stories.

grrowler
19th Aug 2008, 21:39
Casper, what are you going on about? Don't think SAC have a lot to do with it.

The rest - Firstly, SAW is a business. They are not going to share commercially sensitive information with a candidate. They are probably in the process of seeking work, tendering for contracts, etc so even if they did want to share it with you, it would all change by tomorrow.

Which brings me to the second point; they are an aviation start-up. Surely anyone with any experience in the industry would understand that you take a risk by working in aviation, let alone a start-up. You may get greater reward, or it may all fall in a heap. If you want security you're in the wrong business buddy!

nig&nog
19th Aug 2008, 21:55
I had been told that SAW crewing no longer exists, and to answer all those in depth question, any company that is mainly a contract company in its infancy will not be able to answer those until contracts are settled unlike a mainly RPT pax op. That is just my observation from running a contract company, situations change and you need flexible crew, so its not for everyone.

Nig Not nog

Skystar320
20th Aug 2008, 00:02
Which brings me to the second point; they are an aviation start-up. Surely anyone with any experience in the industry would understand that you take a risk by working in aviation, let alone a start-up. You may get greater reward, or it may all fall in a heap. If you want security you're in the wrong business buddy!

I wouldn't class SAW as a start up anymore......... their old now! they should have found their feet

grrowler
20th Aug 2008, 01:47
Fair enough I guess, although 2 odd years isn't a long time in any business; perhaps I should have said they are a smaller operator, my point is still valid.

armslides&crossdress
20th Aug 2008, 02:34
Regarding Interviews and security of position.. Any move to a new company is a step away from security to some degree.

Way up the pro's and con's and be happy with your decision - there is nothing to be gained ( Crazy 88 ) by shooting down a potential employer !!.. unless your Agenda is to shaft some expat interviewing that is....
The only downside to returning to Oz I see is the possibility of working with small minded pilots displaying attitudes like this - & those who think the world owes them something.

Factual -informative / constructive and Agenda Free post's would be nice, but that is seldom the case and why many/I seldom visit Prune these days..

Sal-e
21st Aug 2008, 06:47
Forget about SAW. The fact that they persist with using the E170 says a lot about the credibility of the company. I really don't know how monkeys like S*ms*m keeps getting away with twisting parliamentary arms in even allowing the company into the country....the whole deal reaks with corruption. Begs the question..who's more the idiot? The idiot or the idiot who listens to an idiot?

BPA
21st Aug 2008, 08:37
I have nothing against SAW, but for those looking at a job with them should consider they are a jet charter company and this segment in Australia is becoming very crowded. Currently we have SAW, Alliance, Network, Skywest and NJS all competing for the same work. SAW is using newer (re more expensive) equipment while the others are using older equipment (re cheaper).

SAW currently have 2 aircraft operating for PX under wet lease. Have a look at the history of PX and wet leasing (not the best).

SAW loads to HIR are very poor, this fact not fiction.

I've spoken to a few pilots from SAW and not one would tell me who is the backer behind the company is, so either they didn't know or they are not allowed to tell.

So if you are coming from O/S and from a secure job you may want to consider the above.

sthaussiepilot
21st Aug 2008, 09:20
:ok:Check your mailbox

sthaussiepilot
21st Aug 2008, 09:23
AFS INVESTMENTS 67-B, INC, Charles H. Meyer (USA)

Really I shouldnt release it, however I dont think SAW will survive anymore, from certian things I've herd...

sthaussiepilot
21st Aug 2008, 09:43
Oh thats also available on CASA's website registration's

enter: SWO or SKX (in the VH-*** section just for those who dont know)

sky surfer
22nd Aug 2008, 01:02
sthaussiepilot

seems like you know alot about SAW. Work for them or didnt make the grade or ...?

Can you inform us all how you seem to know?

troppont
22nd Aug 2008, 01:09
Sky surfer

why waist your time...remember what pprune stands for...rumour and s*h*t stiring.

sounds like a very disgruntled person however :) :E

Skystar320
22nd Aug 2008, 02:50
Fair enough I guess, although 2 odd years isn't a long time in any business; perhaps I should have said they are a smaller operator, my point is still valid.

Nope point isnt valid I am afraid

Mach E Avelli
22nd Aug 2008, 04:40
You don't get to lease big ticket items like aircraft if you are a financial lightweight. And you don't run something as expensive as an aviation operation at what must be a loss for two years if you are not serious. So far, they seem to have paid all their bills. If they hadn't, I am sure these forums would be buzzing with it by now. The fact that no-one seems to know much about them is encouraging, after all the hype and bull surrounding some other operators who mouth off with grand plans but then don't deliver the goods. Or who lay off staff, fold the operation, dud the creditors etc when it does not make an instant buck.
But, as someone else said, a start-up is no place for pilots who are risk-averse. Neither is leaving an established position with an overseas airline to join a big company at the bottom of the seniority list a good move for those with debts to service. Even the great Qantas has been known to lay off pilots in a downturn.

sthaussiepilot
22nd Aug 2008, 06:11
Ah the advantages of employees.... information passed from managment aswell,

Also :p disgruntled? not in the least, I like the company, and most of the people in it, however I am being realistic, the current business model just cant withstand the current fuel prices, and with the current RPT's and suggested RPT's, its just not workable, not with the few amount of aircraft, how they are obtained, and other costs, its just a matter of money,
I like the company, I would love to see it succeed.... but unfortuantly, I cant see this as a reality, with RPTs it might make it as a Charter Airline with modifications to charter prices etc...

sayallafter
22nd Aug 2008, 07:03
Good luck to SAW, really hope they last, but it has be said that they must have lost a largish SHEDLOAD of money on the two HIR ventures.

Using a E170 on that route could never be considered as a good business plan.

Eventually the backers will want a return on the money, and you would have to think that the HIR venture set it all back somewhat.

And that wouldn't be a rumour or ****e stiring!!

DJ1989
22nd Aug 2008, 07:41
another bitch fight on pprune...shock horror.

sayallafter
22nd Aug 2008, 10:30
DJ1989

this doesn't even classify as a pprune bitch fight, in majority it is full of fact.

Hardly worthwhile using up your first post on this thread.

Skystar320
22nd Aug 2008, 11:56
he is 19 & female, what more can you say?

"Slap me silly Biatch!"

TAC inop.
22nd Aug 2008, 15:18
Actually...I'd like to say thanks to all !

on a positive note, you guys have helped me - and others, I guess - a lot.

It's always a tough thing to descide on limited information whether or not to throw your hand in, and move back to Oz for a seemingly rosey position.

What some of you forget - being somewhat in-touch with the environment back home- is that there are folks who only get the spindoctors view. Well, that's me...my wife, and my kids.

I see how this may end if I take the job, and we realise now that it's not worth the gambol.

You fellows may have saved me more than you know.

Thanks again

grrowler
23rd Aug 2008, 08:10
Nope point isnt valid I am afraid Yes champ, it is. SAW is in the same line of work as Alliance, NJS, Ozjet, etc (smaller operators). If any of these companies lose a mining contract, for example, jobs will go. If any of them gain one, quick upgrades happen ie. higher risk = higher reward. This is rather different to VB, J*, QF which while they might experience steady growth, don't tend to have the overnight "booms".

bizzybody
23rd Aug 2008, 22:55
A saw somewhere that the Solomon want them to build a resort or something if they are to conduct flights in and out. From what i have read, they are STILL looking into it. Are they really in the financial position to fund such a venture?

It all come about because the government felt as though they were taking it away from the national carrier

solomonstarnews.com - SkyAirWorld moves ahead on domestic flights here (http://solomonstarnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2879&Itemid=26)

sthaussiepilot
24th Aug 2008, 04:02
Technically yes, they are in a position to do this, but only if they were at least 90% sure that it would fill enough seats, and on what days...

Operating a single engine aircraft on that route would (In my opinion) be a rather bad idea, using something more like a King Air, Beech 1900D, Cheifton, or to a lesser extend a 404Titan, would probably be a better choice... (open to better suggestions etc)

However, Its probably not a sensible idea to expand right now, SAW needs to get the current RPT's undercontrol, and place its feet in one place for now, Australia or Solomon Islands, you can make regional routes in Aus, and Solomons when your heading into financial troubles....

As for the resort, this is the first I have herd about it, and I think it could be a very good idea, it could work out very nicely if they play their cards right...:ok:

sayallafter
24th Aug 2008, 16:23
Sorry if I sound a little cynical but:

(fm the Solomonstarnews) The chief executive of the Brisbane-based airline, David Charlton, said it plans to:

0perate its Embraer jets between Honiara and Munda airports, when Munda is upgraded.

So what is the time frame for the upgrade, never been there but isn't it around 14 -1500 metres long, and a little under 200 nm from HIR?

If my guess at the length is correct I'd guess that to make it suitable to take the 170/190 would need some serious cash, probably need more cash for the 145 to be able to use it.

How long would it take to get that cash back and then make the profit.

(fm the Solomonstarnews) Mr Charlton confirmed one of the options under consideration is the single-engine 12-passenger Cessna Grand Caravan.

Does makes for good progression, C208 - E145 - E170 - E190. Nothing like diversifying the fleet.

Must say that I have to wonder about the rationale of getting the aircraft and then looking for work rather than the other way round.

From what I have seen, that seem to have been the business plan from day dot.

However good luck, hope you guys get it to work, who knows I may need a job one day and come knocking.

Skystar320
24th Aug 2008, 23:34
One type wonders really, now actually grrowlers point is clearly not valid anymore....

Skystar320
24th Aug 2008, 23:34
One type wonders really, now actually grrowlers point is clearly not valid anymore....

Lando Calrissian
25th Aug 2008, 06:27
MUNDA (AGGM)
A109/08
CAUTION:ROUGH PATCHES ON THE RWY SFC APRX 800M FM RWY 25 THR
AND 500M FM RWY 07 THR
FROM 07 180100 TO 10 310700 EST

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s307/LandoCalrissian_photos/DSC00927.jpg

Skystar320
25th Aug 2008, 06:28
Now thats a runway!!!!! :}:}:}:}:}

The loud bang as the Dash 8-100 slams onto the runway, kicking up spoonfuls of dust, the wheels rolling over the rock's, were felt by the fare paying passengers

Ahhh bliss

Sal-e
26th Aug 2008, 01:09
Actually, it's a pretty good runway. It might need a few patches but length is not a problem. A VOR/DME and runway lights with backup generator will come in handy. Apart from rising hills to the north (and straying dogs, school children, nothing a good perimeter fence can't fix), quite a hazard free approach. Noise might be a problem for a jet to the locals east of the field.

I know an airline that should be working on this project...SOLAIR. Get your ducks in a row SOLAIR and keep outsiders OUT!!
Why my concern? Because that's my house just to coast of the runway.

MyNameIsIs
27th Aug 2008, 03:13
Nice photo... looks very similar to one I've seen from someone who used to work there, very similar.

The earthquake in April 07 caused a few cracks and undulations in the strip too, it was NOTAMd.
To get Munda up to jet standard is going to take a long time and lots of $. Right now, more effort than is really warranted, but it would be a very handy piece of infrastructure in due course.

Sal, spot on the money with the hazards- don't forget the local police ute coming out and driving down the runway when you are on short final!

Skystar, theres MUCH more interesting strips in the Sollies than Munda.

And a C208 around the islands? crazy...

Anyway, SAW have cut most of their HIR services- it was only a matter of time. Didn't they learn ANYTHING from getting involved with IE?????

sthaussiepilot
7th Sep 2008, 01:03
http://solomonstarnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3343&change=71&changeown=78&Itemid=26

Getting Worse, perhaps time to cut your losses....

down3gr33ns
7th Sep 2008, 03:36
Ahh, as soon as you say you're staying, usually a good sign that you're going. Politics, aviation - not too different from one another in that regard ........................

apacau
8th Sep 2008, 00:54
Article talks about 2x weekly BNE-NOU. Any news on this?

Skystar320
8th Sep 2008, 01:22
Man, I wish I have those deep pockets that the owners of SAW do

tourismman
8th Sep 2008, 01:40
Yep already started 2 weeks ago BNE-NOU every Monday and Friday.Departs BNE at 11am and returns at 1630 .Seems to be the E-170. I believe it is a charter flight mayby mining ? not sure.

Cheers:)

sthaussiepilot
8th Sep 2008, 01:44
Havent herd about Mining, but did know about the flights starting, they are also looking at adding another day to it... but thats a very big maybe...

Skystar,

I dont think you'd like the debt soon to be wrapped around them.... lol

sthaussiepilot
8th Sep 2008, 02:03
hm Interesting;
http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Solomon-Airlines-pulls-jet-from-route/2007/08/14/1186857495991.html

Its from 2007 however, it was mentioned then that the 170 was wrong for this type of flight...

____________________________________________________________ _

Looks like Virgins not too keen on AGGH yet..

http://solomonstarnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3342&change=71&changeown=78&Itemid=26

____________________________________________________________ ___

Just something you guys might have an interest in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyAirWorld

http://www.ch-aviation.ch/aircraft.php?search=set&airline=SKR&al_op=1

(Pretty All over the shop, but just something for you guys to have a read of)

sthaussiepilot
8th Sep 2008, 13:07
Apparantly........

Very Apparantly......

Monday and Friday Flights to Cease very soon................

But thats just from smoke and mirrors at the moment....

apacau
8th Sep 2008, 22:46
Well the NOU flights don't seem to be open for public booking, so you'd hope they had a mining or other contract attached to it!!!

sthaussiepilot
8th Sep 2008, 23:12
Yes it is,

However the mining company (no idea who it is) wanted more days... and now apparantly, they are looking at going somewhere else already....:confused:

cyclone8888
9th Sep 2008, 10:12
STHAUSSIEPILOT,

May I ask, if you don't know who the mining company is how would you know that they are already looking elsewhere??

sthaussiepilot
9th Sep 2008, 10:36
Company Info, from both Pilots and managment, the flight are aparantly already looking to be cancelled...... so unless they are already out of what ever they were minning....

Obviously they're looking somewhere else... or stopping operations there (the mining company)

SPF
12th Sep 2008, 02:34
Enquiries have established (for the record) that SAC are very alive and very active.

FoxtrotAlpha18
12th Sep 2008, 09:55
Enquiries have established (for the record) that SAC are very alive and very active.

SAC? :confused:

sthaussiepilot
13th Sep 2008, 07:26
solomonstarnews.com - After Seghe, how about Munda? (http://solomonstarnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3496&change=103&changeown=87&Itemid=45)

Heavy Cargo
29th Sep 2008, 11:55
HeavyLift are starting Cargo RPT to Honiara from mid month ? Is SAW still on the pax route ?

sthaussiepilot
29th Sep 2008, 12:09
Indeed they are, you can still book on their website to head there..:ok:

Heavy Cargo
29th Sep 2008, 12:30
Thanks, good to know if we get stuck.

Skystar320
29th Sep 2008, 13:07
huh Heavy?

blackbandit
1st Oct 2008, 02:20
SAW, start up capital, 10 million. they promptly went and borrowed another 90 million. They borrowed this money from maquarie bank. Soon they will have to start to pay. Their "business plan", has not proceeded in the manner they thought it would.

Pac Blue is very interested in AGGH, their delegation was in honiara last week. The board of IE, and the government promptly told them to f... off. They are due to try again in a year with a better deal.

Oz Jet gasping for breath.

Virgin will commence POM soon. Tie up with Airlines PNG. Airlines PNG currently setting up its own 737 operation. They are to use classics. The man responsible for the setup has some experience in the pacific, enough to know the locals definately dont like him.

sayallafter
1st Oct 2008, 13:29
Back Bandit

Just some (serious) questions re your post…

If the IASC gave Pac Blue an allocation of 360 seats why do they need to do a deal with either the SOL Govt or IE?

And if SAW doesn’t use their 470 seats (or even one day just give them up) couldn’t PB just apply for more allocation.

Regards APNG…are you saying that they are going to code share with PB on the Australia connection AND also start their own 737 operation.

Cheers

cnic
1st Oct 2008, 22:08
Blackbandit APNG is not getting their own 737 they are just going to use virgin equipment and leave the money in the bank from the float (not a bad idea at the moment). The man you speak of I think you will find has moved on(first name starts with a G), because the person I know who is setting all of this up has a long and good history in the pacific( with many good wantoks in solomons).

blackbandit
1st Oct 2008, 22:20
APNG is getting their own 733. They are to code share with pb for a period, however as mentioned in a previous post, PB cannot offer the level of service APNG wants. No the person who is to set up their jet operations name does not start with "G". The guy i'm speaking about is already in Cairns working on it. And as previously mentioned, GOOD LUCK.

As far as PB operating into the Solomons: All the infrastructure is owned by either Solomon Airlines or the Government of the solomon Islands. So they require an agreement for usage. as i said they will return next year, to see if they can commence operations. The solomons government is not interested in "fly by nighters". Virgin have operated charter flight to HIR before, however, at the first sign of unrest, they pull the pin. They have dishonoured charters in the past due to this.

Dog One
1st Oct 2008, 22:39
Noticed SAW's E190 in Darwin yesterday.

cnic
1st Oct 2008, 23:58
Blackbandit I can assure you that APNG is not getting their own 737.Details about this were released to the png stock exchange about a month ago I think . I think you are a little out of touch.

apacau
3rd Oct 2008, 13:06
As far as PB operating into the Solomons: All the infrastructure is owned by either Solomon Airlines or the Government of the solomon Islands. So they require an agreement for usage. as i said they will return next year, to see if they can commence operations. The solomons government is not interested in "fly by nighters". Virgin have operated charter flight to HIR before, however, at the first sign of unrest, they pull the pin. They have dishonoured charters in the past due to this.

ummm, well PB officially announced 2x weekly flights to HIR ex BNE today commencing December. Is there enough room on the route for all these players?

Falling Leaf
3rd Oct 2008, 21:17
ummm, well PB officially announced 2x weekly flights to HIR ex BNE today commencing December. Is there enough room on the route for all these players?

Ummmm, short answer would be NO.

Pac Blue, Sky Air, and lets not forget Our Airline getting another aircraft soon.

Guess the South Pacific is still a graveyard for airlines...
:{

blackbandit
3rd Oct 2008, 23:43
Maybe you should talk to the guy in Cairns on the APNG payroll who's doing the setup. Ask Chappel about it.

ithinkso
3rd Oct 2008, 23:51
Air Vanuatu commences three services weekly as of December. ex BNE.

PB not starting the route. Out of all the pacific airlines, Air Van has performed consistently on this route for the last 8 years.

PB simply bags its bags and leaves the first time there is unrest. Absolutely NOT what the solomons government wants.

QF used to conduct regular charters on the route, but they worked out it wasnt viable for them, and they not longer allow their aircraft under any any circumstances to operate into HIR.

Our Airline, Christ, what a joke. Now they get to fly around in two empty 737,s

I think we all know the only one of the above who stands a chance of lasting is Air Van.

Waghi Warrior
4th Oct 2008, 00:22
I'm also under the understanding that APNG have put their proposed B737 on hold for the time being,and Virgin will be operating on a code share basis with APNG. One reason for this maybe because they haven't got a suitable chief pilot to run such an operation at the moment.

In regard to SAW,the sooner ANG drop the Rice Rocket (E145) off the POM-CNS route the better,reminds me of the Kendall CRJ days of pax not being able to carry any bags. They woud be better running a DHC-8-300 on the route or even better go back to the Fokker 100.

ringbinder
4th Oct 2008, 01:10
Our Airline, Christ, what a joke. Now they get to fly around in two empty 737,s

ITS, you really have a set against Our Airline, don't you? It shows on every post of yours so what have they done to upset you so?

Incidentally I fly to/from Honiara on a regular basis and I can assure you that OA's aircraft is far from being empty, on those sectors at least. Absolutely chock-a-block on yesterday's return to Brisbane and almost as full on my trip out to Honiara a week ago. A significant amount of freight, too, came off in Honiara. These passenger numbers have been the norm on all my recent travels to the Solomons.

As for the second aircraft, isn't it destined for the Norfolk operation once Norfolk Air have rid themselves of OzJet? Can't imagine the Norfolk Government contracting a carrier if the aircraft wasn't going to pay for itself.

I think, ITS, you'd be better served if (i) you left paranoia out of your comments and (ii) stuck to facts - and your belief of Our Airline flying around empty doesn't belong in the latter.

4th Oct 2008, 04:14
SAW: Another 190 to arrive from brazil in december. I have to say I am impressed with there business plan, whether there is room in the market is another question? If they remove the 145 and keep to 170/190 then all should be fine.

cnic
4th Oct 2008, 04:23
Blackbandit are you saying that apng has mislead its share holders, and that the notice advising us it had shelved the 737 program is not true? You do realise that APNG is now a public company and not just owned by the wilds they have shareholders to answer to. If they have put out wrong information that is quite serious.

sayallafter
4th Oct 2008, 04:54
Any truth that Pixie are using a chartered king air to carry the bags that the SAW 145 can't.

If true makes for an expensive way to run an airline

Couldn't really see how (or why) they would run a E145 on what was a then a F100 route.

Ringbinder

Has OA got themselves the 2nd 73 yet? Heard that they got pipped on one they initally wanted.

I believe that their current one is comming up for a C check very shortly as well, so a second one would come in handy.

Perhaps they could use Ozjet if the timing is not right and they end up having no aircraft available. :O

witwiw
4th Oct 2008, 09:42
Perhaps they could use Ozjet

Assuming, of course that OJ will still be around in 3 months.

EchoNovemberTango
5th Oct 2008, 07:35
Werent they just purchased?

(and arent they working with Norfolk?)

sthaussiepilot
7th Oct 2008, 07:38
solomonstarnews.com - Pacific Blue puts pressure on for tourism action (http://solomonstarnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3920&change=103&changeown=87&Itemid=45)

Same Days for All 3 of them....:bored:

Well minimum one of them is a goner.....

sayallafter
7th Oct 2008, 08:45
Sthaussie

gotta agree with you there.

BTW, how long term is the Solomon/OA contract, seem to remember reading that it was only a short term one, ie finishes sometime prior to Chrismas. Maybe something to do with a C check comming due.

Just may give a bit of breathing space to SAW.

Pac Blu is certainly tying up the pacific region.

Tidbinbilla
7th Oct 2008, 23:04
Let's get back on track, shall we? The thread is about Skyairworld cancelling Honiara flights.:rolleyes:

TID

Melanesian Blue
8th Oct 2008, 01:33
SAW is pushing sh*t up hill with its BNE- Solomons Operation from what I hear on the streets of HIR. It may never happen for the simple fact that many Solomon nationals see SAW as one of the many blames for the failure of SOLAIR international services.
Air Van that’s a Maybe too:confused:?? There’s quite a lot of conflicting interest amongst people here with the current CEO and his spanner monkey, both ex air van connections which doesn’t appeal to locals either.
PB some possibilities there but I don’t see politicians liking the idea of travelling cattle class. Air Pac well they couldn’t care less.
Air Niugini, well culture proves that black guys aren’t the best of friends especially when they’re neighbours & are doing a bit better than you ....trust me I’m BLACK!. :)
OA well despite the predictions of many is still in the background. I remember a Quote by someone made in HIR “ With the embraer we’ll bury OA, we’ll take over air Niugini then we’ll work on Air Van! Yeah right grow up u Turkey.

Competition is meant to be healthy, so bring it on. Solomon’s has the potential but lacks the infrastructure, political stability and most importantly the $Dollars$. Interesting times.

blackbandit
8th Oct 2008, 03:51
IE loves NF. Plain and simple. They are IE's first choice for anything. Unfortunately for IE, NF is just to busy doing their own thing. OA is IEs last choice for everything and anything.

OA out of the air over christmas, NF going with a short term 737-700 to cover the gap. If it works and IE is happy, this will be a permanent arrangement.

Gumaaark
13th Oct 2008, 04:46
Just a simple driver myself, but then this is a "pilots" network. (Omitted the "proffesional" as its' suitability is unclear)!
To those contemplating joining SAW, you could do far worse. Here at least is a company that makes a competent effort to look after their staff (including pilots) and although I have little experience of the other operators mentioned, (and therefore cannot comment on their employment conditions), That is a rare commodity in an aviation employer.
Yes, they are a young company, and as such not as secure as some of the more established operators, but every company has to start somewhere. If you are going to take a risk, when is the best time to do it? My opinion only, but there do seem to be alot more jobs and alot less pilots floating around these days...
Remember the good old days? when a company would pay for your endorsement and your wages whilst training?
Few and far between these days....

(apologies to the spelling police; no spell checker available)

sthaussiepilot
13th Oct 2008, 06:42
Sky was paying for endorsments on the 190 and 170, dont know if they still are, I'd asume they still are...

ringbinder
13th Oct 2008, 07:38
OA out of the air over christmas

Upon what is this statement based? I'm a regular traveller to Honiara and prefer Our Airline, especially now with it's recent code share arrangement with Solomon Airlines. I'm to understand that the arrangement will be going to three services a week soon so how upon earth do you develop the belief they will be out of the air over Christmas?

sthaussiepilot
13th Oct 2008, 09:16
solomonstarnews.com - New airline plans amphibian flights (http://solomonstarnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4041&change=71&changeown=84&Itemid=26)

Seems the new A/C are set to go:ok:

and already flames about PB being a "budget airline" solomonstarnews.com - Our airline wars reach the USA (http://solomonstarnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4039&change=104&changeown=92&Itemid=122)

sayallafter
16th Oct 2008, 13:10
Ringbinder

I think that the statement about Our Airline being out of the air over XMAS may have something to do with their 737 having to complete a "C" check sometime soon.

Unless the reported second aircraft arrives soon, of course.

Also heard that Our Airline charted Ozjet to do their Norfolk - Gold Coast - Norfolk run today due to the unavailability of their own aircraft for the schedule.

That must have caused a little bit of embarrassment since today was only the 2nd flight that OA was scheduled to do on that run....but I am told that the decision to axe the Gold Coast run was made after the first one anyway.

Reliability from an single aircraft airline will always an issue, as Norfolk Air experienced that some months ago when they chartered Our Airline for other work.

Issues like this may just give a few more seats to SAW on the HIR run.

blackbandit
18th Oct 2008, 04:18
AIR VAN single aircraft operator. Dont see them having reliability problems. Then again they are using a new aircraft.

chichibota
8th May 2009, 08:05
Hope Strategic management check IE out properly and hope IE do better sums than they did with SAW. If Strategic were smart they'd buy IE....fire everyone and....start again.....captive market with fares higher than Hubble...can't lose!

Animalclub
8th May 2009, 08:38
Chichi
It's been tried but there is a requirement for grease money and it's not cheap!

frigatebird
8th May 2009, 22:55
Am informed by an ex Chief Pilot (twice) - once in Buchanan's era and again for a short stint recently over Christmas - that under its present ownership and administration waste is out of control, and supervision and discipline are almost non-existant. But Graft is up !

Red Jet
9th May 2009, 01:04
Frigatebird -well done, you say:

"Am informed by an ex Chief Pilot (twice) - once in Buchanan's era and again for a short stint recently over Christmas - that under its present ownership and administration waste is out of control, and supervision and discipline are almost non-existant."

Management (yes, that include Islanders) read these pages too. So now you have dobbed in your mate for having provided confidential company information in confidence to you. It is not very hard for an informed manager to figure out which CP you are referring to, and he may not appreciate you going public with the assessment he provided you with in respect of the current status within Solomon Airlines (I mean c'mon - he's obviously a sucker for punishment having been back twice, and you may just have precluded his possibility of coming back for a third time).

With mates like you - who needs enemies............

frigatebird
9th May 2009, 01:42
R.J.
Sounds like you are the Management that is trying to keep a lid on the "speculation" on a Rumour Network about waste, supervision and discipline. Anyway who said he would be invited back, even though its his "second home". On another post it was reported by Trex Wantok that they all hate him there now. He is the Aussie scapegoat they had to have. All from trying to improve things - mustnt have been the Island Way!

Red Jet
9th May 2009, 04:53
I can assure you I am not any longer associated with Solair in any way shape or form. I have however, been an "aussie scapegoat" myself in the past and just thought I'd point out to you that your posting could potentially have an adverse effect on your mate - that's all.:ok:

frigatebird
9th May 2009, 21:37
Point taken. It was only a general observation of periods 20 years apart under private and public ownership, the sort of thing that people do all the time with companies everywhere. Doubt Sumsum would have given him access to any specific company knowledge of known internal failings.

L1011 Nut
1st Jun 2009, 01:09
Article of Dealings of Director and Company from today's Courier Mail

Very interesting reading.....

I hope I have quoted this correctly...

"
Questionable deals linger over SkyAirWorld

THE wreckage of failed airline start-up ventures litter Australia's corporate landscape.
Brisbane-based SkyAirWorld joined the graveyard in late April when creditors who are owed up to $80 million voted unanimously to liquidate the regional carrier after less than two years of operation.

About 150 employees lost their jobs and many allege that superannuation and other entitlements went unpaid for up to a year. More than 420 unsecured creditors are unlikely to recover any money and it remains unclear how much can be salvaged from asset sales.

The airline, which had five leased jets servicing regional Queensland and the Solomon Islands, appears to have been a disaster from its take-off in May 2007. It never turned a profit and, instead, piled up trading losses of nearly $35 million.

The story might have ended there. But liquidator Peter Lucas hopes to publicly question sole owner and director David Charlton, as well as other key company figures, over a number of potentially questionable financial transactions.

"We're still investigating insolvent trading," Mr Lucas said last week.

In his report to creditors, Mr Lucas outlined concerns that Mr Charlton may have breached his director's duties if it is determined he used SkyAirWorld funds to pay the employees of a related company.

The report also notes Mr Charlton's wealthy father-in-law, Ken Allen, might have served as a "shadow director".

Mr Allen provided nearly $22 million in seed loans for the airline and is the only secured creditor, although his valid charge could amount to just $105,000.

Mr Lucas concluded that a number of related party deals warranted further investigation and at least $850,704 in transactions could be voided if found to be uncommercial.

Among the companies under scrutiny is Joint Logistics, which Mr Charlton started on February 24, less than a month before he appointed Mr Lucas as administrator on March 13.

Even as the airline was fast losing altitude, Mr Charlton struck a deal with the Solomon Islands Government in late December for the lease and development of a 150-room luxury resort on Anuha Island. It is understood that contracts were still being signed eight days before SkyAirWorld fell into administration.

Questions also remain about what happened to the money SkyAirWorld collected from passengers and the Federal Government to service the Christmas and Cocos islands from Perth. Tickets were sold but no flights to those destinations ever eventuated.

The Government announced in January that SkyAirWorld had won the tender to service the islands but critics maintain insufficient due diligence was carried out on the company. Even after the airline grounded three of its jets and sacked 40 staff, the Government still insisted the contract would proceed.

The debacle has provided grist for the Opposition, with Nationals Deputy Leader Nigel Scullion blasting the Government for presiding over an "unmitigated disaster" and a "massive stuff up".

Although Mr Charlton had some aviation background, the failure of the airline suggests he lacked commercial experience.

The 35-year-old Sydney native previously worked as principal of Strategic Aviation, an air charter service used by the military.

Before that, he is believed to have served in the defence forces and been employed by American Express.

Mr Charlton, who could not be contacted last week, lost a substantial amount in the airline's collapse. He has submitted a proof of debt over a $10 million loan made to SkyAirWorld and has acknowledged providing numerous personal guarantees to creditors.

The family home in Brisbane is also on the market. The property, in the inner city suburb of Hawthorne, was bought for $1.43 million in mid-2007 and is registered in the name of his wife, Katherine.

Mr Lucas found that multiple factors contributed to the airline's demise, including inadequate pricing of tickets.

"Already with a high level of debt, challenging macro economic environment, unsuccessful attempts to secure new business, declining demand and some evidence of delinquent customers, it simply did not respond fast enough to its deteriorating financial performance and position," Mr Lucas wrote in his report.

"In my opinion, management should have taken a more aggressive and wider-ranging cost reduction strategy on the company's cost base and at an earlier point in time, reviewed its pricing, minimised business development expenditure and further reduced aircraft capacity."

A former SkyAirWorld employee said the company had deployed inappropriate aircraft, including several Embraer models, for its services to destinations such as Cairns and Honiara. He said the airline would be lucky to get more than 10 passengers on one of the 94-seat planes during the first six months of operation to Honiara and never carried more than 60.

Despite these setbacks, SkyAirWorld was still announcing expansion plans as late as January. That month it secured the right to fly between Darwin and Bali, pledging up to 14 flights a week.

Those ideas, along with an aborted plan last year to team up with Lion Air to fly to Indonesia and other regional destinations, now lie on the ash heap of Australian aviation."

wessex19
1st Jun 2009, 04:05
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6067957,00.jpg

Pic of Mr Charlton care of the Courier Mail, May 31 2008

7mile
1st Jun 2009, 07:40
Quiz time:

Which of the subjects in the photo produces 'hot air'?

:E

Obie
1st Jun 2009, 10:20
So, a 35 yr old ex airforce navigator, or some other airforce qualification equally useless, starts a domestic aviation company, without any experience, supported by a few million dollars from a stupid father in law, and hires stupid people who should know better...

and goes broke!

Why am I not surprised?

It's been happening for years and will happen again, because aviation is full of stupid people who do stupid things!

FoxtrotAlpha18
2nd Jun 2009, 03:08
So, a 35 yr old ex airforce navigator, or some other airforce qualification equally useless...

Ex Army Loggie actually...:hmm:

Falling Leaf
2nd Jun 2009, 05:38
and hires stupid people who should know better...

Having worked there Obie, I can testify to the intelligence of the majority of the staff who were well aware of the risks of a start up, but balanced these against the considerable rewards; free endorsements, opportunities for promotion in roles reflecting their previous experience etc.

Perhaps your quickfire assumptions regarding ex RAAF Navigators in your post show where the real stupidity within this thread is...:=