PDA

View Full Version : Large Helo over central London

SpringHeeledJack
14th Aug 2008, 15:13
At approx 14.15pm today (14th Aug) a large helicopter flew down the Thames towards Canary Wharf and then back up to 'Vauxhall' where it proceeded to make symmetrical 360's (one left, one right and so on) for some minutes. At first i thought it might have been a Russian type, but realistically narrowed it down to either an EH-101 or a CH-53.

Nothing unusual in a visiting helo having a jolly up and down the river with it's wonderful views, but the orbits above a certain place reminded me of the 'tribute' that a few of the 352nd SOG MH-53's paid to this group a year ago before they retired. This helo DID seem to have a few lumps and bumps on it and a very dark olive/drab colour scheme, but my x-ray specs were at home on this occasion. :)

Anyone see it and knows the facts ?

Regards

SHJ

leader12uk
14th Aug 2008, 17:46
Agusta AW139 M-ERIT was flying up and down the Thames today.

SpringHeeledJack
14th Aug 2008, 18:59
Thanks leader12uk for the info.

That would fit the bill, but it looked a size or two bigger than the Agusta, enough that a lot of people in Trafalgar Square were distracted from the Olympic jumbotron screen to look up. Unless there was an optical illusion at work, it really did look BIG :ooh: I'm sure that it had a sliding side door(s) and a rear ramp too.

It definitely had the look of a military craft.......:suspect:

Regards

SHJ

WHBM
14th Aug 2008, 19:33
There have been several threads in the past here about helicopters over Central London. I guess from those not familiar long-term with the area.

Chinooks and everything downwards are indeed a daily event, at all sorts of times day and night.

SpringHeeledJack
15th Aug 2008, 10:44
There have been several threads in the past here about helicopters over Central London. I guess from those not familiar long-term with the area.

Thanks WHBM, I for one am very familiar with such traffic, however what made this certain helo interesting was it's multiple circuits around one of the most sensitive areas in the whole country and it's size. I'm imagining that it was an RAF or USAF craft and was very curious to the who, what, where, when and why :hmm:

Anyone ?

Regards

SHJ

WHBM
15th Aug 2008, 14:02
Thanks WHBM, I for one am very familiar with such traffic, however what made this certain helo interesting was it's multiple circuits around one of the most sensitive areas in the whole country
Well I have seen several Chinooks circling at Waterloo over time, and its an everyday event to see various types doing so alongside Canary Wharf as well, while holding awaiting clearance eastbound or westbound along H4 the heli route along the river.

I's a lot quieter on the ground if they hold by circling rather than holding stationary, as the odd one does (including overhead my house!).

Someone thundered down H4 at about 00.30 last night and woke Mrs WHBM :) up :rolleyes: