PDA

View Full Version : QF B743 Engine Shutdown

NZScion
14th Aug 2008, 01:52
Kiwi news media is reporting a 747-300 had an engine shut down inbound to Auckland from Melbourne. Let the media scrum begin...

A Qantas jumbo jet has been grounded in New Zealand after its engine shut down approaching Auckland airport.
One engine on a Boeing 747-300, QF25 from Melbourne, shut down while approaching Auckland airport last night, a Qantas spokeswoman in Auckland said today.

Link (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4655875a11.html)

The masked goatrider
14th Aug 2008, 02:00
This is what CASA spokesmodel Peter Gibson had to say about it.

The engine did shut down on approach but it wasn't a safety issue because they managed to start it again before the aircraft landed.

He actualy didn't say this, I just made it up but I am interested in hearing their official line on the shutdown.

dkaarma
14th Aug 2008, 03:13
I always love "The the pilots shut down the engine inflight as a safety precaution" line..

So with that logic, if they shut down all the engines, it will make the aircraft really safe?:confused:

Jabawocky
14th Aug 2008, 03:15
Ahhhh they are Rollers are they not.

They do not break down or shut down:=

They just require some unscheduled maintenance:}

J

PS and on another thread there is talk of the Classics being used heavily to SFO ex Melb for a while due to lack of 744's.

I can see a refit of the XBA 707 and maybe the 742 at LRE, and maybe JT's 707 as well!

If JQ have spare capacity maybe they should sub out some of their airframes and crew to fill some gaps.

What a mess! Aand probably Airbus and Boeing are partly to blame with late deliveries too.

lowerlobe
14th Aug 2008, 03:40
Hey Jabawocky......You pinched my line about Darth re-acquiring the Longreach museum aircraft....but it's a good one isn't it?

I could just imagine them asking the museum.."Hey guys could we borrow them for a month or two?"

With looking for someone to blame you forget to mention the engineers.If they had only agreed to work for nothing and be on call for 24 hours a day or even just live (at their own expense of course) on the Jetbase then the company would not have had to go to all the trouble of out sourcing maintenance...and everything would be sweet....Sorry I forgot to say that the company would probably also want the engineers to pay for spare parts as well...:hmm:

As far as the story about the 300 shutting down an engine in flight goes...it's probably another company initiative to save fuel....:E

SOPS
14th Aug 2008, 05:56
You want to know something really funny. On a FM sataion in Perth, thier news is quoting Goatrider's post and reporting that "according to sources on the internet the crew managed to start the engine before landing." I am not making this up!!!:D

3 Holer
14th Aug 2008, 06:22
SOPS, the media monitor pprune all the time for the latest goss - didn't you know that?;)

Led Zep
14th Aug 2008, 06:24
Which station SOPS? :}

Cap'n Arrr
14th Aug 2008, 06:28
dkaarma, sometimes it can be a safety precaution. There could be something which is wrong with the engine, or they may even not be sure, but to be on the safe side they shut it off to prevent any potential further damage or risk to safety. 3 engines are still running, that's one more than a 767 has anytime.:E Let's see the news report on every inflight shutdown in Australia!

7378FE
14th Aug 2008, 06:43
The engine didn't shutdown, it went to idle with no crew input. :hmm:

SOPS
14th Aug 2008, 06:43
Heard on the last 94.5 news..I knew they monitered us..but....:}

Cap'n Arrr
14th Aug 2008, 06:54
SOPS - perhaps some disinformation is in order, just to keep the :mad: on their toes. It is a rumor network after all, it would be a very lazy journalist to report anything on here as fact without checking it for themselves first.

But then, theres noone like that in the news media is there:E

Wod
14th Aug 2008, 07:44
Might be Thronomeister time for those of a technical persuasion:D

Doodlebug2
14th Aug 2008, 08:14
There be a couple of Classics hanging around Joburg International, I'm sure you could pick them up for a couple of stubbies:}

slamer.
14th Aug 2008, 08:21
Engine problems on Qantas flight into Auckland

5:20PM Thursday August 14, 2008

http://media.apn.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/qantas_tail7.jpg

A Qantas Airways jumbo jet was tonight on its way to Los Angeles after it was grounded overnight in Auckland following an in-flight problem with one of its engines.
"It took off just after 2pm," a spokeswoman for the airline said today.
One of four engines on the Boeing 747-300 on a flight from Melbourne was unexepectedly "reduced to idle" speed - without a command from the pilots - as the plane approached Auckland Airport on Wednesday night, Qantas spokeswoman Holly Williams said.
The pilot landed the aircraft with 219 passengers and 16 crew without further incident and a faulty fuel-flow regulator was replaced overnight .
The incident occurred as Australia's airline safety body expanded an investigation of Qantas after the company announced it had temporarily pulled six Boeing 737-400 airplanes from service on Tuesday because of irregularities in maintenance records, AAP reported.
In another incident on Wednesday, a Boeing 747 had to be taken out of service to replace a jackscrew crucial to the operation of the plane's tail, and the airline confirmed that urgent maintenance was needed.

Another Qantas Boeing 747 was grounded temporarily in Melbourne on Wednesday because of a problem with a flap indicator in the cockpit.
This week's problems are the latest in a spate of incidents for the airline since one of its planes made an emergency landing in Manila last month after an explosion tore a large hole in the fuselage.
Nobody was hurt in that mid-air incident, which is thought to have been due to an exploding oxygen bottle.

Taildragger67
14th Aug 2008, 08:30
Jaba,

Chuck in the ex-QF 707s which are sitting around at Richmond not doing very much... problem solved!

Jabawocky
14th Aug 2008, 09:11
:ok:

There ya go, what was I thinking!

J

HotDog
14th Aug 2008, 11:15
Might be Thronomeister time for those of a technical persuasion

Can we drop any further Thronomeister references? It is starting to get quite boring.:rolleyes:

UPPERLOBE
14th Aug 2008, 11:15
A Qantas "JUMBO" gettin a bit tired of that name.

What will the media call the A380...

Dugong?
Hippo?
Whale?
Yes eureka......MAMMOTH.

As in...
Mammoth sized aeroplane
Mammoth airport req'd
Mammoth number of pax
No no no, no good, the Mammoth is extinct, bummer, I thought the media scrutineers would seize on that one...damn.

Pegasus747
14th Aug 2008, 11:51
I quite like "le Grand Croissant"

Cool banana
15th Aug 2008, 01:07
There be a couple of Classics hanging around Joburg International, I'm sure you could pick them up for a couple of stubbies

The rest of the QF 743 will probably go the same way as the RR powered B742 & SP (except EBQ) and get converted to stubbies any how.

Alex 009
28th Aug 2008, 09:27
After arriving back to Sydney I saw the classic getting towed to the International terminal. I also spotted this picture of one in Hongkers:

Photos: Boeing 747-338 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Qantas/Boeing-747-338/1383056/L/&width=1600&height=1097&sok=WHERE__%28airline_LIKE_%27Qantas%25%27_AND_airline_NOT_L IKE_%27%25QantasLink%25%27_OR_airline_LIKE_%27Japan_Airlines _-_JAL_%28Qantas%29%25%27_OR_airline_LIKE_%27Australian_Air_Ex press_%28Qantas%29%25%27%29_&sort=_order_by_photo_id_DESC_&photo_nr=18&prev_id=1383690&next_id=1382989)

Is this the final fairwell for the old girl?