PDA

View Full Version : On Board Sound?

Flintstone
29th Nov 2000, 01:38
Way back when I bought this computer the guy made a bit of a big deal about it having on board sound which he claimed was far better than any sound card. At the time I didn't really care and plugged in my cheap, tinny speakers.

Now I'm curious. Is on board sound better than a sound card? As a last resort I read the manual for the systemboard (PC100 M761zx). This suggests that to obtain 'surround' sound I need only plug in a pair of speakers to each of the line in and line out ports. No big base speaker required?

Any ideas?

InFinRetirement
29th Nov 2000, 02:04
Flinty, Flinty! Do you need me everywhere you go? On board sound has the 'potential' for their claims - until you try to do it. It's at best iffy, at worst its yuk!

I run Sound Blaster Live and its amazing what you can do with it, you cannot get such a thing 'on board'. Still there is a certain quality isn't there with your one?

Sorry to be a wet! Oh no! I'm saving that till Friday.

ORAC
29th Nov 2000, 09:36
On-board sound is normally a SB16 or clone chip. Equivalent of a cheap £15-20 card.

If you only want to play games/listen to radio it is more than adequate. If you want good music, wave, bass etc - buy a decent card.

Flintstone
29th Nov 2000, 17:02
ORAC,

Thanks for the polite and informative response.

IFR,
I'll see you later pal ;)