PDA

View Full Version : Musician's Copyright

frostbite
13th Aug 2008, 17:19
I listened to Sandie Shaw (one hit wonder?) complaining bitterly about the 50 year copyright rule.

She thinks it should not only be for life "It should be our pension", she said, but also thinks it should be inherited by artists offspring in perpetuity.

Fifty years seems quite generous to me, what do you think?

Ozzy
13th Aug 2008, 17:52
Should be for the life of the artist(s). Then become public domain upon the death of the artist or last collaborator.

Ozzy

Overdrive
13th Aug 2008, 18:23
Ah... that stirred you Ozzy. You have been quiet of late.

chiglet
13th Aug 2008, 18:30
Is that the Copyright of the "Original" Composer/Artist?
Or the Copyright of a "Musical Arranger", who has [email protected] around with the musak?
OOI, I think that SS had more than one "hit", but at least the poor thing can afford shoes now :D
watp,iktch

Saintsman
13th Aug 2008, 18:41
I don't totally understand this copyright rule.

When I give someone a lift in my car I don't have to pay Mr Ford a fee. Is there a difference?

selfloadingcargo
13th Aug 2008, 20:59
Saintsman - yes, there is a difference. The correct analogy would be that you bought a Ford and then copied it, changed the colour of the paint and the type of sound system inside and then sold it as entirely your own work.

Why should other people benefit from the creative work of others (and creativity is the hard bit of any process) without paying something in recognition of the way that they have have short-circuited the hardest part of the whole game for you?

By all means be a parasite, but at least have the decency to expect to pay for it.

frostbite
13th Aug 2008, 21:54
I don't think Saintsman was talking about piracy, which is what your analogy describes.

The point is, how long should someone be entitled to royalties, and I think 50 years is nothing to complain about.

barit1
14th Aug 2008, 00:37
One problem with current US copyright law:

I discover a dogeared piece of sheet music in a garage sale, hum a few bars, and decide to buy it. I take it home and play it through and decide I'd like to perform it, either in its original form or in a new arrangement.

I note it was originally copyrighted 80 years ago, and the copyright assigned to a publisher ABC. I do a bit of research and find that ABC was bought out by JKL Co., who was in turn bought by XYZ. I contact XYZ but they know nothing about the song.

If I proceed to perform the song, I run a real risk of some lawyer calling me up to claim their client bought the song rights from JKL, and now owns the song, and wishes to sue me for $3.95 million for copyright infringement. :ouch:

If I forget about performing the song, neither I nor the still-unknown copyright owner makes a pfennig. :}

Howard Hughes
14th Aug 2008, 03:59
I'd be surprised if your Ford was still going after 50 years...;)

Model T's excepted of course!:ok:

Parapunter
14th Aug 2008, 06:05
I'd be surprised if anyone wants to hear your 80 year old tune Mr. B. I suspect in fact that were you a performing musician/DJ in the states, a scheme exists similar to the Performing Rights Society here where you pay an annual fee in return for public broadcast rights.

I had to do this in my yoof when I ran a mobile disco. Well, it beat working in Tesco like all my mates. PRS men can & do go round checking on DJ's & cover bands - they certainly buttonholed me.

frostbite
14th Aug 2008, 12:18
PRS bandits even nobble hairdressers working from their spare room at home if music is audible to their customers.

UniFoxOs
14th Aug 2008, 12:41
and garages, tyrefitters etc. who play the radio to keep the staff amused, if the customers can hear it (Usually I don't want to - Radio 1, half rap, all crap - so the garage has to pay for me having to suffer what I don't want!!)

UFO