PDA

View Full Version : Salt water rain

Lon More
13th Aug 2008, 18:16
I live about 90 miles inland near Maastricht

There have been a large number of very heavy rain showers during which time the sky was completely black.

During 2 of these showers I'm convinced I could smell the sea. I've nexer noticed anything like that before in a temperate zone.

Is this possible

( as it's JB I'll add; I haven't been supping from the furry cup :(}

Juud
13th Aug 2008, 18:45
Ozone Lon?

ThreadBaron
13th Aug 2008, 19:01
There's a hole in that theory, Juud.:}

Have there not previously been reports of fish being dumped miles inland during rainstorms, having been scooped out of the sea by the winds? Therefore the same could be said for the seawater.

Having now typed that it strikes me as a grand piece de bolleaux!

Ozone it is, then.:O

tony draper
13th Aug 2008, 19:04
What most people mistakenly call the smell of Ozone at the coast or seaside is generally the smell of decayed animal and vegetable matter on the shore,don't think ozone actually has a smell.
:)

Jhieminga
13th Aug 2008, 19:13
Well, if you are talking about that nice little splatter of rain yesterday at MST then I can say that the rain didn't taste salty, nor did the water that kept dripping from me for the rest of the afternoon smell like the sea.

(Famous last words: "quick, let's get the aircraft inside before that shower will hit..." :hmm: )

chiglet
13th Aug 2008, 19:15
Ah....but, if one happens to pass under a pylon,sorry, tower, with pylons attatched...or meander near to an electrickery sub station in rather inclement weather, then one can smell ozone.....well I can.
watp,iktch

Lon More
13th Aug 2008, 21:02
Jhieminga Maybe you were downwind of DSM? or GPS?
No it wasm't that and was nowhere near pylons. Also no thunderstorm activity
The farmers have been ploughing the fields under after harvesting and inject liquid crap into the soil at the same time but an hour after smelling the salt there was nothing to smell there

frostbite
13th Aug 2008, 21:04
That is true, chiglet.

I had a fresh air device that use to produce Ozone and you could smell that.

Vaguely like dilute bleach.

iws
13th Aug 2008, 21:17
Ozone definitely has a smell, as mentioned above it is a bit like bleach or chlorine. (It is also poisonous). If you have one of those plasma ball toy thingies, use your fingers to draw the sparks for a few seconds, then smell your fingers.

BlueWolf
13th Aug 2008, 21:44
Used to use an ozone generator for sterilising barrels in the winery. To me it always smelled a bit like watermelon.
That said, it was more of a sensation in the nose than a smell, if you know what I mean.

vapilot2004
13th Aug 2008, 22:32
Ozone definitely has a smell, as mentioned above it is a bit like bleach or chlorine. (It is also poisonous). If you have one of those plasma ball toy thingies, use your fingers to draw the sparks for a few seconds, then smell your fingers.

Unless followed by a good finger licking or wash up, don't try the above after eating crackers & kippers. ;)

G-CPTN
14th Aug 2008, 01:35
Creating static electricity (?) by 'charging' a child's balloon my rubbing it with a 'furry' cloth (or operating a Wimshurst machine) produces an odour (or a sensation detectable by the nose) - at least to me.
Similar odorous effects precede electrical events such as lightning strikes or imminent short-circuits of high-voltage transmission lines.
I've assumed that this is ozone, and it is apparent at the seaside (when waves are crashing).

It's interesting that ozone is nowadays deemed to be harmful, yet in Victorian times it was recommended as being beneficial to the recipient I believe . . .

Ground-level ozone is an air pollutant with harmful effects on the respiratory systems of animals and humans.
Ozone, the first allotrope of a chemical element to be recognized by science, was proposed as a distinct chemical compound by Christian Friedrich Schönbein in 1840, who named it after the Greek word for smell (ozein), from the peculiar odor in lightning storms.
Most people can detect about 0.01 ppm in air. Exposure of 0.1 to 1 ppm produces headaches, burning eyes, and irritation to the respiratory passages.
When inhaled, ozone reacts with compounds lining the lungs to form specific, cholesterol-derived metabolites that are thought to facilitate the build-up and pathogenesis of atherosclerotic plaques (a form of heart disease).
Ozone may be formed from O2 by electrical discharges and by action of high energy electromagnetic radiation. Certain electrical equipment generate significant levels of ozone. This is especially true of devices using high voltages, such as ionic air purifiers, laser printers, photocopiers, and arc welders. Electric motors using brushes can generate ozone from repeated sparking inside the unit. Large motors that use brushes, such as those used by elevators or hydraulic pumps, will generate more ozone than smaller motors.
(From:- Ozone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone) )

ShyTorque
14th Aug 2008, 09:23
I can smell ozone formed when one of those piezo electric gas lighters is operated. I agree, it smells similar to chlorine bleach. The smell is indelibly printed in my mind from the time I was about thirteen when a bolt of lightning struck the ground only twenty feet from me. The folks I was with thought I was a goner, so did I. :eek:

A couple of years ago I took my daughter to "Magna" an industrial museum in Yorkshire. In one area they had electrical discharges causing mini bolts of lightning around the walls which gave off a strong smell of ozone. The experience gave me an instant blinding headache and I had to get out straight away.