PDA

View Full Version : Fly 540 Kenya F27 Crash

GALANT
13th Aug 2008, 11:30
Any info on ths crash at mogadisho,somali ,rumour has it that 3 dead

Istorik
13th Aug 2008, 12:22
Fly540 has not the F27. Their fleet consists of the ATR aircrafts. The crashed aircraft is reported to have flown from Nairobi with cargo of khat. The accident took place during a pouring rain. The aircraft struck a communication tower. It burned totally on the deserted area.

midweeksaint
13th Aug 2008, 12:51
Fly540 have an F27 5Y-BVF dry-leased from BAC Leasing. Any idea of the registration of the aircraft involved in the alleged incident?

FrancoisM
13th Aug 2008, 14:07
They also have a DH8A (5Y-BUZ)

Francois.

BUSHJEPPY
13th Aug 2008, 19:24
It is reported indeed that BVF crashed on approach into K50 today. It hit an antenna in bad weather. 3 crew members dead, aircraft and the Miraa burnt out

Kenyan Cargo Plane Crashes Near Somali Capital; Three Killed

By Hamsa Omar and Eric Ombok

Aug. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Three people died when a Fokker F27- 500 cargo aircraft crashed near the Somali capital Mogadishu, Fly540 Logistics Ltd., the plane's operator, said.

A team including Fly540's chief pilot and security manager flew to the country to recover the bodies of the deceased and assess the cause of the accident, the Nairobi-based airline said in an e-mailed statement today.

``Until investigations have been completed it will not be possible to ascertain the cause of the crash, but it seems likely to have been the result of bad weather,'' Fly540 said.

The aircraft was carrying a consignment of khat, a chewable narcotic leaf, from Kenya to Somalia when it crashed, said Anab Shire Mohamed, a seller of the commodity who was waiting for the delivery at the Namber Konton airport near Mogadishu.

``The plane crashed and dropped about 20 kilometers (12 miles) from the airport,'' Mohamed said. ``It hit a Nationlink Telecom tower near the airport because there was rain in the area for the past 10 hours.''

Sacks of khat were scattered over the vicinity of the crash, Mohamed added. The leaf is popular in Yemen and the Horn of Africa and is a mainstay of Somalia's economy. Over long distances, khat must be transported by plane as it loses much of its potency within a day of being harvested.

perceval
13th Aug 2008, 22:09
unfortunately correct . Three colleagues dead in that accident (captain , F/O,and F/E ) . Bad weather and abscence of Notams in that silly country . pole to the families

WhinerLiner
14th Aug 2008, 05:42
Rest in peace, strength and condolences to all those left behind.

Agaricus bisporus
14th Aug 2008, 10:22
"bad weather", let alone a lack of NOTAMS, are pretty unconvincing excuses for hitting a comms tower (comms tower, in Somalia???) so far from the airport.

People only fly into comms towers if they don't see them, and what would anyone be doing at such low height and unable to see 20Km from the airfield (presumably in bad weather)?

Eck!

Fantome
14th Aug 2008, 10:50
Formerly VH-EWU 'City of Albury' with East-West Airlines, 1983-1989.

V1... Ooops
15th Aug 2008, 02:27
Perhaps keep your criticism of the cargo in context.

Air France makes quite a big deal of being the airline that flies all the Beaujolais Nouveau from France to all the far flung corners of the world every year. As you are no doubt aware, within Islamic culture, alcohol is viewed with pretty much the same distaste and contempt that you have expressed for khat. I have not heard anyone in an Islamic country expressing contempt for Air France because they transport fresh wine as revenue cargo.

Khat is, as far as I can tell, not illegal in Kenya, Somalia, or any of the other countries where it is consumed.

Different cultures, different norms. I don't consume either alcohol or khat, and I don't have an opinion on the worthiness of either one.

V1... Ooops
15th Aug 2008, 06:37
Williwash:

I have spent nearly 20 years of my life in humanitarian aviation (war relief), the bulk of that time in Africa. I don't claim to be an economist. I have no interest in politics - Kenyan, Somali, or American. FWIW, I'm a Canadian.

The only 'guilt by association' that I see around here is what you are creating with your scurrilous comments. Based on what I have read, the Fly 540 F-27 accident took place because the crew hit a (probably uncharted, and obviously unregulated) communications tower during a visual or circling maneuver. The cargo they were carrying had nothing to do with the accident.

Khat may well be a significant part of the cargo trade out of Kenyan airports, but a priori, there is nothing legally or morally wrong with transporting that cargo.

No suggestion has ever been made that the Fly 540 aircraft was overloaded, except in the words you have written. I know people at Fly 540, I visited that company less than a month ago and I think they run a professional operation. It is a tragedy that the accident with the F-27 occurred, but the cargo is only incidental. Had the plane been full of cold-chain medicines and vaccines for sick children, the outcome would have been no different.

Commander 690
15th Aug 2008, 09:13
williewalsh,

Did you own a 690 Commander N123MG???

Phobos2
15th Aug 2008, 17:54
jesus christ......!3 aviators lost their lives.and you two are yapping about khat!!@#$&$:mad:&%&$&

Fantome
15th Aug 2008, 18:46
I have deleted my posts for the following reasons
1. I cant be bothered or I would still be there.
2. History will repeat itself ad finitum there no matter how many numptys try to deny the root causes.
3 RIP

i.e.

1. You horrible lot don't deserve the benefit of my opinions. So there.
But just let me say in parting . .

2. . . . nothing new under the sun . . .the sun . . .the sun . . . ("Ad
finitum"???)

3. And now that I've gone, may you all rot in peace.

I'm glad they invented emoticons, otherwise I wouldn't know what the punters were thinking.

williewalsh
16th Aug 2008, 10:27
Oh dear me I mistyped.I will instantly deny it and blame the uncharted fault in two of my keys.
Otherwise pretty close.
For your reading pleasure
Ad infinitum.

popobawa
16th Aug 2008, 18:41
rest assure mon ami;they have no chances in ANGOLA

popobawa
16th Aug 2008, 18:44
rest assured mon ami;they have no chances in ANGOLA;
ex: 5Y-CNT

bushbolox
16th Aug 2008, 19:27
So who died then? The names must be in the public domain in Kenya.
P.m. will do
The mast chartered or otherwise isnt the problem. The problem is why they hit it.
Its pretty flat there and apart from exactly where the mast is pretty empty. IE Pretty hard to hit .

V1 oops
Unless you have Knowledge of the miraa trade then i suggest you wind your neck in. It may be legal but it attracts all the negativity of the usual illegal class A drug. A fact that many a daft brit has found upon arrival in the US carrying Miraa at the behest of a smarter Somali.

Notes
26th Aug 2008, 21:13
For V1-Ooops - It is not the Khat that is being criticised. Generally it is the issues that surround it that cause it to have such a poor reputation.

There is nothing wrong with khat as such. BUT flying it from Kenya these days involves absolutely obscene levels of overloading, aircraft abuse and many other related "issues" that any self respecting operation would want to avoid.

In the case of this F27 crash; the pilot had no alternate - because had he landed even 50km away, at worst he may be shot, and at the very best all the khat would have been stolen, the company 540 would not have been paid by the owner (a Nairobi based Miraa baron) who would also demand compensation for the lost khat. Keep in mind these guys and their henchmen walk around Nairobi with AK-47's. Landing on the wrong strip is unthinkable.

The F27 is said to have made 6 attempts to get underneath and on one previous attempt nearly crashed on the destination runway.They were flying 50-100ft AGL in IMC...........

As I said, no one minds the khat, its the stuff that goes with it most people don't like.

P.S. LOOONG ago when things were different even Air Kenya used to fly khat.

lokione
27th Aug 2008, 07:32
I know the tower. If you flew to this strip often you knew where it was. They sound like they were under heaps of pressure in bad weather. RIP I am sure they tried their hardest. My thoughts to the families. May they walk with angels.