PDA

View Full Version : Diversity Training....borrocks

GANNET FAN
13th Aug 2008, 09:55
My company has informed all staff that they will attend Diversity Training, no exceptions.

I thought some one had broght this subject up before but I can't find it, anyway its my turn tonight.

Personally, and in relation to my business, I feel its a complete waste of time, but doubtless I will be persuaded otherwise.

Have any of you esteemed prooners benefitted from this training?

GF

Ancient Mariner
13th Aug 2008, 10:04
Not familiar with Diversity Training, looked it up.

Diversity training is training (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Training) for the purpose of increasing participants' cultural awareness, knowledge, and skills, which is based on the assumption that the training will benefit an organization by protecting against civil rights violations, increasing the inclusion of different identity groups, and promoting better teamwork [1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_training#cite_note-0).

Am now very happy to say I will not have to attend. :)
Per

Parapunter
13th Aug 2008, 10:21
Sort of. I so loathed & despised all of this worthless navel gazing doohickey rubbish at my last corporate that when the redundancy came a knocking, i grabbed it with both hands & vowed never to return to big companies with H.R. departments.

I'm not joking either. H.R. or personnel as they bloody well should be known, ought to remember that they are for hiring, firing, vocational training, payroll & nothing else!

I suppose I should be grateful, since I am where I am in part because of my motivation never to sit in another H.R. office being asked to equate building a bloody tower out of straws with team bonding.

One of my lads got sacked at the same place. The HR manager was lecturing him & said - "there's no 'I' in team you know"

To which he replied, "yep, but there is a 'U' in c**t"

Whirlygig
13th Aug 2008, 10:41
hiring, firing, vocational training, payroll & nothing else!
And I despair when I go to any company that HR in charge of the payroll 'cos then I know it'll be wrong; PAYE won't reconcile, tax codes will be incorrect, P11Ds will owe more to art than science and my department will have to clear up their cock-ups! Never let HR loose with money.

Cheers

Whirls

Whirlygig
13th Aug 2008, 10:44
I've gone through it (being ex-Public Sector!) but I can't say I've benefited from it!

It basically tries to teach you to be a decent human being toward your fellow man - to be considerate and thoughtful. To some people, that comes naturally (because they are decent human beings) and therefore the course is a waste of time as it doesn't teach them anything. Some people however, are not decent human beings and are not able to put themselves in someone else's shoes. For these people, the courses are a waste of time as decency is not something that can be taught (or, if it is, it should be done before a person is four years old!).

One of the examples I was given as part of this training was the case of a female employee who was married to a Seven-Day-Adventist preacher. Consequently, their Sabbath begins at sundown on the Friday and this employee asks you, her boss, if she can leave early on Friday afternoons in order to be home before it gets dark. This employee already volunteers to make the time up by working early in the morning and assures you it is only for the winter months. What do you do?

Answer? You say "yes, ok" because you should be sensitive to her religious requirements. My answer? "Yes, ok" because I would let any employee do that irrespective of their religious, gender, race, creed. If the work's done, I don't give a stuff!!

Get the drift? Take a crossword with you otherwise you may have some cross words for them!

Cheers

Whirls

Just noticed that Gannet Fan posted this topic twice so this is my post from the other thread

BlueWolf
13th Aug 2008, 10:46
Refuse to attend, on cultural grounds. That'll f**k 'em :E:D

We have a similar sort of valueless purile [email protected] programme dumped on us periodically from the Corporate Shite Factory in Farawayland.

Since goal-setting is included in the sillybus, several of us refuse on religious grounds; setting goals would interfere with the Sacred Plan which the Great Bunny has in store for us.

The company's Constitution is such that they can't do a damned thing about it.

I don't know which is more stupid, the idea of the programme in the first place, or a company actually being so far up it's own jacksi that it has a Constitution anyway.

Incidently, does having two identical threads make for better diversity? Shouldn't one of them at least be in a different coloured font? ;)

bucket_and_spade
13th Aug 2008, 13:05
Refuse to attend, on cultural grounds. That'll f**k 'em :E:D

Absolutely f**king priceless :ok:

Doctor Cruces
13th Aug 2008, 13:18
Ahh Whirlygig, so bitter, so twisted, so true!!

Doc C:ok:

GANNET FAN
13th Aug 2008, 16:05
Over anxious finger trouble, posting twice.

Its really interesting reading your comments, and the funny thing is that google the subject and almost everyone's comments are on the same lines.

One branch of the company I work for, or the main part actually, are money brokers and just listening to them dealing at high volume plus the language plus the taking of the mick is something to behold if you've never come accross it before. Heaven help those poor sods when they have to fave the lecture.

It should be an education since I am the most un politically correct person you can imagine and I believe in enjoying what I do (selling and chartering yachts) otherwise what's the point.

Anyway Whirls, and actually all, I agree totally. Cross words. very likely.

If I'm still employed tomorrow I'll let you know what happened.
Pillocks!

PaperTiger
13th Aug 2008, 16:27
About 10 years ago we had a 'touchy-feely, new-age' HR manager arrive. We all had to go through this [email protected], although some of us old hands managed to turn it into a bit of a giggle by deliberately selecting the (patently) wrong answer/action whenever called upon.

Best line was when one chap was asked 'why are you here' :rolleyes: at the Sexual Harassment session.
"I'm told it's a great place to meet chicks" he said :ok: .

effortless
13th Aug 2008, 19:01
Had to go to one some years ago. I have never had such laugh in my puff. The woman running it asked us to name the parts. You could imagine that I managed a few that she hadn't heard before. Hairy bacon sandwich wasn't lost on her. Her name was Jenny Taylor. I was the only one that seamed to find it funny.:confused:

Edited for typo

Saintsman
13th Aug 2008, 19:28
Best line was when one chap was asked 'why are you here' at the Sexual Harassment session.
"I'm told it's a great place to meet chicks" he said

Which reminds me.

Always keep the sexual harassment forms in your bottom drawer.

That way, when she bends over to get one, you'll get a great view of her arse!

GANNET FAN
14th Aug 2008, 16:57
2 Hours listening to 3 actors acting out 3 different scenarios then we were invited to give our comments on what we thought was wrong with the way the actors behaved toward each other.

Take 10 brokers in the shipping world who are possibly the most non pc types and it actually turned into quite a laugh.

Its not worth repeating the whole scenario as most who have posted abobe know the form but the most disturbing aspect of the training session, was that at the end of each of the 3 scenarios, the message that was hammered home to us was our right to sue our employer or managers if we took offence at the slightest slur, action or whatever.

Bollocks I want to enjoy my work. I've chosen to ignore those 2 hours. If I get sacked because I cocked up...that's my fault. If some one calls me an old git, they're probably right. If you can't a joke you shouldn't have joined etc.

GF

simon brown
14th Aug 2008, 17:10
"Have any of you esteemed prooners benefitted from this training?"

Gone through the "training" yes, benefitted no ...some little oik tw*t on Ģ500 a day telling me how to deal with people...all you need to do is be polite , be understanding and take as you find.

Besides, here at Avon and Somerset Constabulary we are all biggoted c***s anyway so theres no diversity issues here to worry about

CUNIM
14th Aug 2008, 17:47
Some years ago, I had to attend a managers course on drugs and alcohol abuse, so I turned up with a glass and told the lecturer that he could keep the drugs but I was ready to abuse the alcohol. :E

v6g
14th Aug 2008, 18:04
any company that HR in charge of the payroll ... I know it'll be wrong

In my case that works most definitely to my advantage.

That's all I'm saying.

merlinxx
14th Aug 2008, 18:18
I once went on one of these (free invite with nosh & wine), when asked about peoples differing sabbath days, I said "I'm taking a Nigerian weekend, I'm Muslim, Jewish & Christian when I feel like it", so I'll be taking Fri, Sat & Sun, now **** off! Sorry Sir I forgot, Thu afternoon as well to get me thobe ironed.

Why do the Brits take some of the Cousins ideas, then screw the heck out of them? Principles are sound, the delivery feckin sucks!

KiloDeltaYankee
14th Aug 2008, 19:20
I donīt need diversity training....I mistreat all cultures, creeds and nationalities equally.

Ozzy
14th Aug 2008, 19:20
Found in the Mail....

Anger as 350 police officers taken off the beat for sex-swap awareness classes because one is changing gender

By James Tozer
Last updated at 8:14 AM on 04th August 2008

Political correctness gone mad: Police are being sent on a training course to deal with a colleague who has had a sex change

Police officers in an area with a high crime rate are being taken off the beat for an awareness course on sex changes.

The half-day training class is meant to help them deal with a colleague who is beginning a new life as a woman.

The ruling, which applies to 344 police and 166 civilian staff, has been deemed 'political correctness gone mad' by senior officers.

It was announced in a letter from Humberside Police's former Chief Superintendent Kevin Sharp to all staff within the force's A division.

This covers Grimsby and the surrounding area in North-East Lincolnshire - a region which last year had 41.5 crimes per 1,000 residents, compared with a national average of 28.

In his letter, Mr Sharp informed staff that the sex-change officer, a 42-year-old married PC now called Lauren, had been suffering from gender identity dysphoria. This left him feeling like a woman trapped in a man's body.

Mr Sharp wrote: 'As from today, Lauren starts her new life and over the next few weeks you will receive awareness training during which you will be able to read a personal letter from Lauren.

'I trust you will have the same determination as I have to help Lauren return to work with as little fear and trepidation as is possible. . . but feel much happier than she has ever done before.'

He called upon them to treat her as they would a close family member.

The diversity training, which will cost thousands of pounds, is designed to ensure there is no discrimination against Lauren - which could leave the force open to an expensive compensation claim.

Since sending the letter last month, Mr Sharp has retired from the force to become chief executive of Humberside Police Authority.

But he said he would nevertheless 'retain ownership of the initial phase of Lauren's transition'.

On the eve of his retirement after seven years as divisional commander, Mr Sharp, 48, admitted that his force still had a lot to do.

Humberside Police was strongly criticised for failing to monitor Soham murderer Ian Huntley

'But we are in really good shape to take that to the next step, which is about making our most difficult communities and neighbourhoods a safer place to be,' he said.

He was unavailable for comment yesterday, but one unnamed senior officer from the division said the plan was 'a scandal'.

'This is yet another example of the lunatics running the asylum and it has offended me and many of my colleagues,' he said.

'It's time spent away from duty at the public's expense. The police environment has gone mad. We give time to this while the amount of training given to police officers on law has dwindled.'

Humberside Police declined to comment yesterday.

The complex implications relating to transsexual employees were demonstrated in 2006 by the case of Linda Grant.

She won more than Ģ20,000 in the European Court of Human Rights because her pension was not awarded until she reached 65, even though she had had a sex change.

In 2004, Humberside Police was criticised by the Bichard Inquiry into the murders of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman for deleting sex claims against Ian Huntley which might have prevented his getting a job at their school.

shedhead
15th Aug 2008, 00:50
Never had to. never want to. and always try to avoid working for companies that have a "human resources" department they are the kiss of death!

Overdrive
15th Aug 2008, 01:12
No of this surprises at all in a country now almost fatally obsessed with "training". It's as if people are assumed to be incapable of understanding anything they haven't been trained in, but after a banal two day course is imbued with a level of expertise that out-ranks decades of experience, wisdom and genuine learning.

A person is considered to amount to no more or less than the sum of the fluffy training taken. Many younger people have adopted this kind of thinking, which is sad as it defines them narrowly and ignores personal ability and differences. Anything at the level and upwards of tying your own shoelaces is nowadays a "skill". :yuk:

parabellum
15th Aug 2008, 02:43
Is it really the HR department that decide to run these courses? I would have thought it was the Risk Managers that took the decision in order to protect the company from being sued for NOT training their staff in cultural diversity BS etc. that might result in a big insurance claim.
Just my thoughts as I didn't ever have to go on such a course, thank God!

Ancient Observer
26th Aug 2008, 13:48
I managed to avoid these in my career. However, I'm not sure that Personnel/HR runs them - isn't it the lawyers, who are worried about all the litigation?

chris_tivver
26th Aug 2008, 14:37
Like a lot of this stuff there are a few good pieces of sensible information, a dollop of common sense and several hours of bull.

The odd things is that these companies do not provide training in the more useful bits of cultural diversity. If you deal with japanese, koreans, chinese, africans, europeans or yanks there are all cultural differences that are worth knowing if you negotiate with or meet with them. But do they teach you the useful stuff? Do they b******y.

Instead you have the situation where a joke told to 30 different ethnic, trans-gender handicapped, bisexual people will get a laugh. tell it to the 31st and they take offence. Is it the 31st person at fault. No its the one telling the joke and they can get sacked.

Of course it is perfectly acceptable to be rude and biased against male based, macho, protestant english traditions.
I too want to join a religion where it is our sacred duty to tell jokes and is a blaspemous insult to our god NTNON to access someone of racism, sexism etc

(note for younger/foreign readers. NTNON is the initials of "Not the Nine O'Clock News", one of the funniest and most irrreverent TV shows ever broadcast and which could not be made under UK law as it now stands. However DVDs are available and highly recommended)

G-CPTN
26th Aug 2008, 15:03
Perhaps it's like 'Time Management' training?
Some good points, but overall not for total adoption (IMO).

Whether the (team-bonding) experience is worth the time away from the desk (or wherever you spend your time) depends on your workload (which might be a reflection on efficiency of course).

Makes money for the trainers, though. Without such courses their existence would be pointless . . .

corsair
26th Aug 2008, 17:54
Of course it is perfectly acceptable to be rude and biased against male based, macho, protestant english traditions.

Not in this country it's not. We have to remember not to be nasty to the Protestant English. Even though they are inferior and smell bad;):=

Which does prove the point that maybe a bit of sensible diversity training isn't too bad after all. The last big company I worked for had diversity training. It was compulsory. I dodged it for a while. But got caught in the end. Actually it wasn't too bad, the company was quite diverse anyway and the attendance was largely multinational. There were Indians, Africans, Spanish, Poles and English. Oh and Irish. It was quite entertaining. During it we found out that most of the Indians we worked with came from quite well off backgrounds. Most would have servants back home. Which was a revelation to me. The Africans complained that the police were rude to them whenever they were stopped. (Probably for driving too slowly) But an Irish person pointed out that they were rude to everyone. Which got a laugh.

So we all learned something but it didn't change me. I never had a problem with any damm foreigner even if they came here to steal our women and take our jobs............except for the English and the Protestants of course. They smell bad!:E:)

Windy Militant
26th Aug 2008, 18:16
Perhaps it's like 'Time Management' training?
I got sent on one of those by the underwater basket weaving numpty I had as a manager at the time.
The guy running course looked at the diary I had to keep for a week before the event, Shook his head and told me to find another job.
So they're not all bad. :}

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Aug 2008, 19:12
In my experience "diversity" exercises usually involve ...

... a free curry. So I usually sign up for them.

BlueWolf
26th Aug 2008, 21:33
Instead you have the situation where a joke told to 30 different ethnic, trans-gender handicapped, bisexual people will get a laugh. tell it to the 31st and they take offence. Is it the 31st person at fault. No its the one telling the joke and they can get sacked.

Haha, yeah, this one place I worked at a few years back had a real PC-no-fun-culture (Government-owned enterprise) and you weren't allowed to tell jokes picking on minorities, persons of homosexual orientation, indigenous folk, darkly-pigmented types, intellectually challenged unfortunates, achondroplasiacs, ugly people, weirdos, the differently abled, the ethnically distinct, or in fact almost anyone. There was one earnest young graduate female who was particularly rabid in policing this policy, and she was a God-botherer to boot....so we told jokes about extra-Terrestrials instead. There wasn't a damned thing she or the system could do about it. Had her foaming at the mouth a couple of times :E:ok::D

Windy Militant
26th Aug 2008, 23:04
Brings to mind the Aberystwyth University Rag mag circa 1975.
The Editorial went on at length about how the rag committee had received a large amount of complaints about the number of derogatory jokes about the Irish which the previous years magazine had contained, so this year there were not going to be any Irish jokes in the Magazine.

Top of the next page the first gag started "There were these two Latvians Paddy and Murphey.............. :rolleyes:

finfly1
26th Aug 2008, 23:19
Cannot even contemplate such events without flashbacks to "Brave New World", "1984" or even the cross legged Cambodians being re-educated in the "Killing Fields".

I still wish "hate crimes" would be properly called "thought crimes".