PDA

View Full Version : V-Australia 777 - Update [Photo Included]

Skystar320
13th Aug 2008, 05:19
Well ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seat selts, make sure you tray is in the upright position as V-Australia's newest 777 is out

Boeing Everett (http://microvoltradio.com/kpae1064.htm)

Nil defects
13th Aug 2008, 09:37
Parked between the Emirates ones waiting for galleys I see.

Does VA have the same problem as EK?

Wiley
13th Aug 2008, 22:34
Yup. They're going for hammocks in the E&E compartment, I hear. Must be true, 'cos I heard it from the refueller at Townsville, you tells me he heard it from the brother in law of one of the Virgin Australia cleaners (who hasn't actually started working for VA yet), but whose sources, he assured me, are 'impeccable'.

Lord Flashhart
14th Aug 2008, 01:13
That piccie will have all the Emirates guys heading up the VAust op missing their old job.

goathead
14th Aug 2008, 01:36
Is there anyone actually going to take a job there at THE most underpaid positions offered worldwide or what? best of luck to those that have....

Kranky
14th Aug 2008, 03:28
Hey Wiley, the Townsville refueller's didn't hear it from the brother in law of the cleaner, it was his brother in law's brother. Or was it his sister, no hang on I'm sure it was his brother.
Anyhow, the Townsville refueller would know.....just ask him.

Obie
14th Aug 2008, 05:36
So, are they going to paint it or not? :ok:

Wod
14th Aug 2008, 07:47
You mean that's not the final paintjob??

Just when I thought they'd gone Braniff - and a good thing too.

Howard Hughes
14th Aug 2008, 07:56
So, are they going to paint it or not?
They're only paying a portion of what the pilot's are worth, perhaps they are doing the same woth the paint job...:rolleyes:

Anyway it'll give the ginger beers something to do in the turnarounds, just like they do with cuise ships!;)

EMB120ER
14th Aug 2008, 12:45
Funny how Boeing only anodize the front half of the fuse.

Noticed this in the 777 production line photos and video.

Anyone know why?

I am sure you will be very happy flying these things obi-wan.

Mr.Buzzy
14th Aug 2008, 12:52
I've a fair idea it's not anodizing.
The difference I'm told is where the section is made, the material it's made from and how it gets transported to final assembly. The green gets "washed" off prior to paint.

cogwheel
14th Aug 2008, 13:12
Actually I believe that the 777 in the picture is one for QATAR Airlines!

The same aircraft was in the same position last Friday (Aug8) when I was there and if I can work out how to post a picture, you will see the rudder which is already painted. At that time there was 4 EK 777's on the ramp and another for QATAR plus 3 in TAM colours.

The first 777 for V Australia was still in the big shed, ahead of another 2 for EK and one for CX.

As for the green, there was a 747-400F down the ramp a bit with most of the fuse like that, and it was flying that way the same day.

:)

woftam
15th Aug 2008, 00:45
Why are all these airlines buying "old technology" A/C ?
They should listen to the experts. :hmm:

MELKBQF
15th Aug 2008, 03:20
The green finish on the fwd section of the aircraft is a protective wax that is washed off prior to the aircraft entering the paint shop.

DJCCGuy
15th Aug 2008, 03:40
crew rest areas have definately not been removed.

Kangaroo Court
15th Aug 2008, 11:54
I think it was a joke...sorry, I guess you didn't get it.

Hoofharted
18th Aug 2008, 17:07
So how many crak whores have actually lined up to prostitute themselves at Vasectomy Australia?

Hoofharted
19th Aug 2008, 01:16
but you don't think for a second that I will give up my present package just to be back home,do you?

Well, having had this discussion with at least 7 wide-body expat captains all who have told V to "get nicked" as the pay was an insult, I would have to answer................................."YEP":D:D

KRUSTY 34
19th Aug 2008, 01:35
Very interesting Sir Donald.

What would be more interesting is the "Terms" that you finally accepted. If you would be kind enough to share it with the forum, then your fellow pilots may have an opportunity to avail themselves to a reasonable level of remuneration.

That is of course unless it has been deemed confidential. Something along the lines of.. "Ok, we'll pay you this, but don't let it get out. The last thing we want is others thinking they are worth the same."

Now my above comment is speculation of course, and I'm sure you would be happy to set the record straight.

woftam
19th Aug 2008, 08:31
Taildragger67

"Woftam,

Quote:
Why are all these airlines buying "old technology" A/C ?
They should listen to the experts.
Ah, maybe because they're available now, rather than in 2012 or 2014 or whenever it is? And they're actually flying, rather than either yet to fly, or not yet off the drawing board?

And which 'experts' do you mean? "
Unquote

CHILL mate! :)
It was very much tongue in cheek relating to the QF "experts" including Dixon referring to the B777 as "old technology". :ugh:

Taildragger67
19th Aug 2008, 08:38
Woftam,

Sorry mate - I seem to have had a humour bypass lately. I tend to be posting first and asking questions later. :=

Might take the chill pill you suggest - I'm getting to be a cranky old git. (Tinpis had better watch it, I might nick his signature!).

Right - off to the mods to self-report. Earlier post deleted.

woftam
19th Aug 2008, 08:45
No worries Taily, I get a bit trigger happy myself in my old age. :ok:

Jabawocky
19th Aug 2008, 12:27
Nice Green 744F there I see.

A little birdy;) and occassional ppruner tells me only a couple more to come through the jigs and its about 6 months till the 748 rolls into the assembly line at Everett.

J

Sir Donald
19th Aug 2008, 12:36
Forgive my reticence Krusty,but it all comes down to the individual on the day.My fellow pilots could avail themselves quite easily should they chose to do so without allowing''this is your opportunity to return home''argument to cloud their judgement.What most people fail to realise is that employment is a two way street between two parties and not a fratenising day out.For me to give up my present position purely for lifestyle is pure nonsense.What lifestyle?Who's going to be paying the bills of the so called lifestyle option-is living in Mount Druit a lifestyle option?And thats what I asked the panel.
Hence,its for that reason why V are having trouble attracting experienced FO's.

Stubby
21st Aug 2008, 05:30
Sir Donald,

Could you fill us in on the style questioning at the I/V what to expect etc?
thnks:)

KRUSTY 34
21st Aug 2008, 09:44
Thanks Sir Donald.

I agree with everything you said, except your notion that the two way street between employer and employee should be between an individual pilot and the full weight of the company. The fact is, not everyone is equally savy when it comes to "negotiating" a deal. I would feel very uncomfortable working with pilots of equal rank and service who were being paid more, or even less than me, based on some sort of secret deal. I have seen this sort of environment before, and I can tell you it has the potential to be nothing short of poisonous! I think it would be safe to say that your current employer has transparency with regard to Wages and Conditions. So why settled for anything less? If I am off the mark I do appologise but your reticence to share the outcome of your discussion with the panel is what I find perplexing.

So having said that, the question still stands.

What did they agree to, if they did agree to anything?
What was your reaction to their answer?
Did you acept, or didn't you?By sharing this information with the forum, you will allow you fellow pilots to have a greater understanding of what is possible. There is an old saying. United we stand, divided we beg.

Let's face it we're all on the same team, aren't we?

KAWOBAT
22nd Aug 2008, 06:15
A little birdyhttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif and occassional ppruner tells me only a couple more to come through the jigs and its about 6 months till the 748 rolls into the assembly line at Everett.

Jaba

You are correct. The final 747-4 has begun making its way through the production line. The Everett factory is sure to be busier than ever with the -8 being readied for it's turn down the line.

7378FE
22nd Aug 2008, 09:11
Just out of the paint shop :ok:

VH-VGA (http://www.microvoltradio.com/kpae1120.htm)

Eastwest Loco
22nd Aug 2008, 12:13
Pretty looking aeroplane, but that is a bloody long way to go on 2 mills.

Best all

EWL

DUXNUTZ
22nd Aug 2008, 15:13
Hawaiian do it in the 76 3x a week. Plane not know what its flying over.

peuce
23rd Aug 2008, 23:45
I wouldn't be too sure of that ...

If my little Cessna starts sounding a bit rough as soon as I leave Gippsland to cross Bass Strait, I'm sure a brand spanking new B777 has enough Black boxes to detect the Pacific beneath it :hmm:

esreverlluf
24th Aug 2008, 00:10
'Tis true Duxnutz. Qantas also do Sydney-Honolulu 4 times weekly on a 767.

What is probably more relevant to this thread is that Air Canada do Sydney-Vancouver direct on the 777.:eek:

EngineOut
24th Aug 2008, 04:36
CX do HKG-JFK and HKG-YYZ 21 times a week in the 773ER which is further than SYD-LAX and flies over the pole. I can tell ya there aint to many suitable airports up there. Continental also do HKG-Newark in a 777.

You'd be better off than a 17 year old -400 with a hole in it. :\

ACMS
24th Aug 2008, 10:24
Yes the ER is a really beaut machine to fly.

Now if V Aus had offered better T and C's I might have applied.

Shame really.

I guess it's their loss and not mine.

Taildragger67
26th Aug 2008, 13:09
ANZ and UAL operate long Transpacs on 777s. I think there are lots of suitable divert runways for a ETOPS a/c between east coast Australia/NZ and Hawaii (eg. Nadi, Noumea and some of the smaller ones in an emergency pinch) and then the tracks between Hawaii and the North American west coast are as busy as Pitt St.

Pity they closed Johnson Atoll...

2dotsright
27th Aug 2008, 11:13
I can't work out how it's "their loss and not yours" ACMS...... I hear that they have more than enough 'qualified' pilots ready and waiting to fly their lovely new airplanes. If you don't want to work for them then you can just say "no" I guess. Many people would think that $200K is pretty good doe for doing bugger all though. 1000 hours a year sleeping and reading the paper for that. (here it comes, I'm ready for it)

ACMS
27th Aug 2008, 11:55
do they, really? well good on em.

Don't know much about long haul flying do ya.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

:mad:

evyjet
27th Aug 2008, 12:45
2 Dots right......more like 2 cents short!! :ugh:

Jabawocky
27th Aug 2008, 13:47
Many people would think that $200K is pretty good doe for doing bugger all though. 1000 hours a year sleeping and reading the paper for that.

Got to agree, its not a bad start! For an F/O;)

Thaat kind of long haul:eek:

Maybe for half the hours or there about!

Certainly would not inspire me into the game!