PDA

View Full Version : Help needed PLEASE........

lame
6th Feb 2001, 14:21
I have a lap top and a desk top, run AOL on both, although some will say that IS the problem,it is not in this case.

The lap top works fine, but with the desk top while on line there is no sound at all, okay off line with games or sims etc, any ideas PLEASE ???

SR-71
6th Feb 2001, 20:36
Do you have any system sounds at all? I can only think that you don't have any system sounds assigned. Hang on, does the dial up sounds from your modem come out through your speakers. I have heard that systems like this the modem can upset the sound card. The test would be to play an online game and see if you get sound. Download something from www.gamespot.co.uk (http://www.gamespot.co.uk) (Could even be Quake 3 Arena but it's 50mg) and dial up, then launch the game. You don't have to play it, it's just a test. This advice might help you narrow down the problem.

Give 'em an inch and they'll take a foot. Before you know it you haven't a leg to stand on!

------------------
ICQ# 91029795

lame
7th Feb 2001, 05:23
SR-71,

Thanks for the suggestion, just tried to do as you suggested, but is going to take nearly an hour to download even a demo at present, will try again later.

Regards,

"lame"

SR-71
9th Feb 2001, 00:44
Keep me informed with the results Lame as I'm quite curious?!? C U

------------------
ICQ# 91029795

lame
9th Feb 2001, 00:54
SR-71,

Thank you for your interest and help.

However as I said the other day, I have tried a few times now to do as you suggested, each time it quotes about an hour to download even a demo from that site, so I have given that idea away for now.

I was having massive problems with this computer, see fatal exception thread, and as (touch wood) it seems to be working really well now, except for the sound when on line, I am tempted to "let sleeping dogs lie".

Thank you again for your interest though.

Best regards,

"lame"

SR-71
9th Feb 2001, 01:48
Well I have nothing (atleast not very pressing) to do so if you don't have any online games and a 3d card I'll try and find a nice small download to try. It took me 3 hours to download quake when I first tried and that was using go!zilla. No, just had a look and couldn't find any small online demo's but you could try any direct X game with the modem connection open and see if you get sound? Try this. I couldn't live without sound, ICQ has almost replaced my home telephone and goes "oh, oh" when I get a "call".

------------------
ICQ# 91029795