PDA

View Full Version : Firefox issues

Rwy in Sight
12th Aug 2008, 19:28
I did a clean installation of XP the other day. I had to reinstall the Mozilla and from that moment I have two problems:

1) the letters on most sites are too small for a confortable fast reading despite being 18 size font on the options page... If I make the size larger other sites appear ackward (sp?). Any ideas how can I correct the size?
2) In the current version, the sites I visited remain on the address bar and they pop out when I type a new address and they remain in the memory even when I erase my traces at the end of the visit. How can I avoid the pop out of the address when I type a new address?

Many thanks in advance because it is annoying...

Rwy in Sight

Loose rivets
12th Aug 2008, 19:55
Is the magnifier new in Firefox? Ctl, + mouse wheel. If it isn't, then I just hadn't discovered it before...and nor had a 'computer friend'.

The thing is that it works well, but retains its setting when I come back to Pprune for example. Clever, but I kinda wish that it would reset to some standard datum when off.

call100
12th Aug 2008, 22:58
HI...Issue No2 the drop down prediction. Yes, it can be annoying or brilliant depending on how you wish to use your browser.
You can turn it off......Prepare to be amazed.
To stop annoying bookmark drop-down menu from URL bar:

1. Enter "about:config" into the address bar and hit Enter (no quotation marks).
2. Press the "I''ll be carefull. I promise!" button.
3. Enter "browser.urlbar.maxRichResults" in the Filter field (no quotation marks).
4. Change it from 12 results to 0 (or whatever number you want).

Enjoy FF3.....:ok:

Rwy in Sight
13th Aug 2008, 06:40
Thank you both for your assistance. You are very smart and knowledgable (sp?). Call100 it worked great...
Loose rivets, I am aware of the magnifier but I am looking to a more permanent solution as you say. Take good care...

Rwy in Sight

call100
13th Aug 2008, 11:34
No problem....Just a thought on your other problem in the options, Content, Font, Advanced.... You can select a minimum font size....This may help. I've never tried it but perhaps worth a try...

beardy
13th Aug 2008, 15:35
I have 3.01 installed on 2 machines running win XP sp3. I have no problems on one machine, but on the other the FF toolbar is massive and I can't find how to reduce it in size also web pages are oversized, I have to reduce them to 65% or even 50% in order not to have to scroll left and right to see the page.
Any thoughts?

PPRuNe Pop
13th Aug 2008, 16:19
I had the same problem. The huge size of the menu bars was most off putting and I had no option but to dump it. FF also messed up a mail programme too.

I won't go back to it.

call100
13th Aug 2008, 22:34
Try here....This may be the answer you are looking for....
Toolbars and page content appear too large after upgrading to Firefox 3 (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Toolbars+and+page+content+appear+too+large+after+upgrading+t o+Firefox+3)

FF has never been a problem for me....Most faults are soon sorted...Those that are not are usually the fault of the machine/OS that it has been installed on...

beardy
14th Aug 2008, 09:00
call100,

Thanks for the link. I tried that some time ago and it does nothing for me (or Firefox!)

Keef
14th Aug 2008, 11:11
I had an occasional annoying problem with Firefox: if I had a lot of tabs open and was scrolling around quickly in them, it would do the "severe error, please tell Microsoft" thing and crash. It did that three times in fairly quick succession last night, so I went a-googling.

Two answers:

First, make sure you have the latest Java cos one of the recent ones had a bug. I did have the latest Java, but also 11 earlier ones - apparently all the old ones stay in the machine, too. So I removed the lot. No improvement to Firefox crashing, but over a GB of disk space recovered, and the pooter seems faster, too.

Second, some users suggested the AVG8 Link Scanner causes this behaviour. I took the risk, and turned off the Link Scanner, and Firefox hasn't crashed since despite my trying hard to get it to do so. The AVG gets all shirty about this highly dangerous practice, so I've told Windoze to hide that particular icon.

frostbite
14th Aug 2008, 11:39
Try dumping AVG in favour of Avast, Keef.

The Flying Pram
14th Aug 2008, 13:58
Think the AVG Link Scanner is helping you surf safely? Then think again - look here (http://www.avg-watch.org/)

call100
14th Aug 2008, 22:40
If it's working on one machine and not another it may indicated a corrupted file in the download. If AVG is not found to be the culprit then try a complete re-install.
Most FF faults are either corrupted files during download or a machine/software fault.

PS...Another vote for ditching AVG and installing AVAST.:ok:

Don Coyote
15th Aug 2008, 07:25
In Firefox, select Tools,Add-Ons and then disable AVG safe search.

No more Firefox crashing or slowing down and equally the AVG icon appears normal and AVG does not get shirty!

Keef
15th Aug 2008, 20:38
Thanks, Don. That's much more elegant!

AVG has saved my bacon a few times, so I'm not inclined to ditch it while it works.