PDA

View Full Version : Embery Riddle MBA?

nshahzad
12th Aug 2008, 18:09
Hey everyone,

I'm new around here, surfing for a while, but decided to register... got a few questions. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, couldn't figure out where to put it... I blame the French. ;)

I've finished my undergrad, and looking towards my MBA (I know, "eww one of those guys"), I'm looking at Embery Riddle, since they have an MBA program in aviation management. I love planes... I was going to go into flight school, etc, but decided I like this aspect of it more. I'm got a degree in biomedicine, but I'd like to apply that to aviation...

Does anyone know more detailed information, or where I can find it? I'm just looking for jobs information, salaries, etc. They have a lot on their site, but nothing too specific.

Also, what have been some of your experiences?

Thanks guys!

selfloadingcargo
12th Aug 2008, 20:15
My advice - fwiw - is don't do an MBA until you have got some practical experience.

The trouble with moving straight from one academic course to another is that, when you get out into the real world, you will try to make reality fit the theories you have been taught.

Conversely, if you get a slice of real life first, you will adjust the theories you are taught to fit the facts of real life. This is a big - and important - difference. And one that most companies of any real worth value.

Too much theory is the bane of today's commercial world. If you are bright enough to do an MBA now, you will still be bright enough in 2/3 years time - and if you are really good, you will get your employer to pay for it.

Sorry that this isn't the info you were asking for - but at least think about it.

(and good luck whatever you do)

Davaar
12th Aug 2008, 20:44
I concur..

con-pilot
12th Aug 2008, 20:48
nshahzad, one option you might consider, other than the one above, is Oklahoma State University. (I know, eww! ;)) Oklahoma State has an excellent graduate degree aviation program. I kills me to say that as I am an University of Oklahoma alumni.

Anyway, look it up on the Interent.

Good luck.

C-P

BigJoeRice
12th Aug 2008, 21:13
"selfloadingcargo - My advice - fwiw - is don't do an MBA until you have got some practical experience".

I absolutely concur - this is spot on advice. I would also suggest that you re-think the Embery-Riddle route as they are are universally associated with aviation, and that may pigeon hole you in the mind's of prospective employers should you wish to try using your newly acquired credentials in other fields.

Um... lifting...
12th Aug 2008, 21:22
Having been in aviation (and other stuff) for 20-odd years and having been dangerously overeducated during much of that time (and currently busily getting my MBA from a Big 10 University not to be named here...), I can say categorically that 'bidness is bidness'.

I can also categorically say that the biggest boneheads in my MBA program are those who have come directly from undergraduate business or other studies into the MBA without the benefit of work experience.

I see little advantage to getting a specific 'aviation' or 'medical' or other specialty MBA unless you're positive that will be your realm and you already have experience in the field. Otherwise, I think it restricts your options. If you're sure you want a MBA (and I daresay you're not sure, even if you think you are...), just get one from a reputable school (unless you want to be a quant on Wall Street... in which case your options begin to narrow).

I know people in aviation (and in business) who have some of the most interesting (and unrelated) academic backgrounds. Drama/history (Shakespeare being recited over the intercom at 0330 after a SAR case can sometimes keep you awake), zoology, pre-med, law, architecture, any kind of engineering you can think of, English lit (try to get a job with that), education (pay's better in aviation), Asian studies with a minor in Mandarin (he flies helicopters).

Go out into the wider world and major in life for a while first before climbing back into the ivory tower of academia... you won't regret it.

SLC-
There's an interesting book out now called "The Black Swan" (The Impact of the Highly Improbable) which talks about that very sort of thing such as the "pseudo-science" of finance, which is built on mathematical models of prediction and risk management that work well in most physical realms, but become extremely fragile in social domains... such as markets (paraphrased).
I daresay until one has poked around in the squishy, messy human realm of business (of whatever kind) for a while, too much theory can be dangerous. Too much emphasis on the numbers and not enough on basics like ethics can lead to well... WorldCom.. or Enron...

nshahzad
12th Aug 2008, 23:02
Hey! Thanks for all the replies guys.

As for practical experience, I've been working for about 7 years professional as a software dev, even while in school. A few MBA programs I talked to looked over my resume and said I'd be a candidate with that work experience. I am one of those people who just works and lives in the complete real world. I'm pretty ambitious, I work hard, just need a nudge in the right direction time to time (like now). I figured I'm going to do my GMAT in feb, but until then, figure out what the best route is. I'll still be working.

Um... lifting... - I am one of those "unrelated" guys, I was doing pre-dental, but looking at teeth all day was just :mad::mad::mad:, so I just completed my degree and decided to move on...now I am just going for what I want, having worked with alot of people, and knowing alot of people who have done their MBA... said thats the best option for a broad spectrum of possibilities. Sounds good to me? I guess so... and I've seen a few philosophy majors living in boxes :8

SLC I know exactly what you're saying . I'm not a CS major, but when I work with them, I see them applying all sorts of archane complex models to simple problems, just because they feel theory is religion and must be followed := makes your head explode when an answer is lying right in front of you. I think I have an edge over these people (not calling them stupid), but I have a knack for "seeing the forest"

But I guess a generalized MBA will be beneficial. I'm just hoping the job afterwards is less number crunching and more "doing", if you know what I mean. Plus I'd love a window overlooking the tarmac...
As long as a generalized gives me as much the chance to get into aviation/healthcare as anything else.

-Nabeel

nshahzad
12th Aug 2008, 23:09
Oklahoma... lol... I've been in Buffalo NY for a little too long. I need to see some activity and excitement :}

Weird, I had a reply. I think it had to be approved, so I'll wait (so no one is thinking I ignored everything!)

con-pilot
12th Aug 2008, 23:29
Oklahoma... lol... I've been in Buffalo NY for a little too long. I need to see some activity and excitement

Hey now, you can watch the grass grow and then even more thrilling, watch the cows eat the grass. :p (If you're really lucky you might even see a deep natural gas well blow out and catch fire, now that is sight to behold.)

No, I understand perfectly, no worries. :ok:

I have to join the majority of the replies here, get some real life experience first. It will help.

Good luck which ever way you go.

galaxy flyer
12th Aug 2008, 23:58
No need for a snow plow in Oklahoma, either. And when the cows eat the grass-it's what's for dinner.

If you do it right, the real life experience is good enough to overcome the desire to become an highly educated. :E Trust me, it happened to me.

Good luck, GF

CityofFlight
13th Aug 2008, 00:32
Con..you forgot that all time favorite thing to do with your "special gal"...tractor pulls and skinny dippin' at the waterin' hole!! :ok: :p

con-pilot
13th Aug 2008, 00:37
skinny dippin' at the waterin' hole!!

Naw, don't do waterin' holes, got me one of them concrete ponds! :p

(I did drive a tractor once, just once. :()

To the younger folks here, you must be old enough to remember the "Beverly Hillbilly's" to understand the reference to a 'concrete pond'. ;)

CityofFlight
13th Aug 2008, 00:53
Now, Con...dear, this is about recruitment. Propaganda of adventure to the urban dwellers. Like Eddie Albert in Green Acres....ya know? ;)

tinpis
13th Aug 2008, 00:54
.....thats see-ment pond con :=

con-pilot
13th Aug 2008, 01:03
.....thats see-ment pond con

Oh God, you're right, but remember, I am an old fart. I have CRS. :p

(By the way, I hated that show after the first season.)

Um... lifting...
13th Aug 2008, 01:07
The question is, con... did you drive a truck like Uncle Jed... or did you ever get to rassle with Elly May? (we know you wanted to... we ALL wanted to!).
Buddy Ebsen was a fine stage actor and dancer, and in his later years, a talented watercolor painter, among many, many other talents. There is a story that his ship in WWII went to action stations during an onboard performance of Pirates of Penzance, and Buddy was in full fig as a comic opera admiral. It certainly fits.
Buddy Ebsen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Ebsen)
I had forgotten that they used to have little advertising plugs after the theme song... Kellogg's, as you may remember... and this one... which would never get past the censors these days...

YouTube - The Beverly Hillbillies - opening credits with Winston verse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkOGM6gHvao&feature=related)

tinpis
13th Aug 2008, 01:20
In another life I worked in the offshore drilling industry with crackers from Texas and Loosianna that were almost incomprehensible
See-ment was stuff Haliburton pumped down the casing :}

con-pilot
13th Aug 2008, 01:24
The question is, con... did you drive a truck like Uncle Jed... or did you ever get to rassle with Elly May?

Actually to the first question I really did drive a truck like Uncle Jed, it was in a parade, they figured if I could fly jet aircraft I could drive a truck in a parade, hah, little did they know. :p (Yes, there were adult beverages involved, and no, I didn't hurt anyone or cause any damage, well not much damage.)

Who didn't want to rassle with Elly May, but alas, never saw her in person. :(

barit1
13th Aug 2008, 01:26
Although I'm from a few decades earlier, I did my Masters work at Embry-Riddle (note spelling) 20 years after my BS. It was more a target of opportunity in my case - the local branch campus had several evening instructors from both civil and military fields, and they were very well balanced between the academic and "real" worlds.

Strong emphasis on statistics and its limitations - particularly recognizing outlier data and invalid data. (See the Global Warming JB thread...)

I made my mark by showing how common human / management faults continued unabated for decades, causing accidents and killing people. :mad: