PDA

View Full Version : Is this ditching video for real?

stepwilk
12th Aug 2008, 14:26
Somebody just sent me a short video obviously shot by a beach tourist (I'd attach it if I knew how) at a resort, showing a 737 (I think, maybe an Airbus of some flavor) coming extremely low over a crowded beach--I initially thought, oh yeah one of those Caribbean airports with tight approaches--and then banking to fit between two groups of condos about a dozen stories high. Then, a moment later, it comes around from behind the buildings, having done a 180, and ditches very nicely in the water about 100 yards off the beach. There's no logo on the vertical fin, nothing I can make out on the fuselage, but the guy obviously ditched nicely enough that they probably walked to shore and had a drink.

I'm guessing--assuming it's for real--somewhere in Africa, a freight dog.

Anybody else seen it? I'll post it if somebody tells me how...

Stephan Wilkinson

Sepp
12th Aug 2008, 14:29
It's an advert for a Dutch travel company apparently. Nicely done, but a bit of an odd thing to do "Fly with us, we'll crash you right onto the beach" :}

Airliner Ditching In Surf Video (http://www.hoax-slayer.com/plane-ditching-surf.shtml)

The vid is under "I was lying on the beach when I heard this roar", a bit down from the top.

paulg
12th Aug 2008, 14:34
it's fake as :=

stepwilk
12th Aug 2008, 14:42
Thank you! that's fabulous...I love finding out when these viral are hoaxes, which I tried to do originally by immediately going to snopes.com, but they didn't have anything on it. The video I was sent ended with the ditching, before the closeup of the rear door and the slide deploying.

Sepp
12th Aug 2008, 14:44
Yep, the peeps coming down the slide in bermudas and 'kinis sorta give the game away, even if the MSFS airplane didn't :)

sevenforeseven
12th Aug 2008, 19:33
Oh my god, when did this happen!!!!!:ok:

Avman
12th Aug 2008, 20:13
I'm shocked that someone could actually believe this to be footage of a real aircraft and a genuine ditching. Have today's generation lost all sense of reality?

Flap 5
12th Aug 2008, 21:01
I think this has to be a tongue in cheek wind up by stepwilk. It is so clearly a superimposed model aircraft and the dynamics of the 'ditching' is just so wrong. :=

Richard Taylor
12th Aug 2008, 21:14
No no, it's real.....that's poor airmanship, not being able to land it on the BEACH though...:=

tony draper
12th Aug 2008, 21:17
There a one on youtube of a 747 coming in low over the beach at St Martins? that has to be seen to be believed. :uhoh:
Gorrit on me hard disk but yer can't post clips here,int got the link now.

Lon More
12th Aug 2008, 21:20
Possibly this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfQwDizpRo) Mr. D.?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th Aug 2008, 21:55
Why can't they get these fakes better? This one is so awful - 'aircraft' is far too slow for the very low turn over the hotels, then re-appears having flown a 180 just a couple of seconds later!

The ditching is [email protected] - pure 'Airfix model into the bath' stuff. :hmm:

SSD

sevenforeseven
12th Aug 2008, 22:09
Nothing wrong with the St. Martin landing. :ok:

Been there seen it, done it.:D

Howard Hughes
13th Aug 2008, 02:23
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZyDrpeWoBw) one however is real! Hitting the water in any aircraft is not a nice thing...:sad:

galaxy flyer
13th Aug 2008, 09:25
WAIT ONE MINUTE.....are you the Stephan Wilkinson of C&D fame??? If you recognize C&D, you're be smart enough to recognize a faked video. I think you also wrote for Flying Magazine in the US, also. What's the story. How's the Porsche?

reverserunlocked
13th Aug 2008, 13:35
Of course it's real. Just as in the Ethiopian 767 ditching, everyone stood at the top of the slide whooping and singing to themselves before jumping. Very realistic :{