PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational Leaders

NUFC1892
12th Aug 2008, 09:37
For some reason last night I got to thinking about Col Tim Collins' Eve of War speech, I had never seen the full version so "Googled" it this morning and, for those in a similar position here it is:

We go to liberate, not to conquer.

We will not fly our flags in their country

We are entering Iraq to free a people and the only flag which will be flown in that ancient land is their own.

Show respect for them.

There are some who are alive at this moment who will not be alive shortly.

Those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send.

As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

Wipe them out if that is what they choose.

But if you are ferocious in battle remember to be magnanimous in victory.

Iraq is steeped in history.

It is the site of the Garden of Eden, of the Great Flood and the birthplace of Abraham.

Tread lightly there.

You will see things that no man could pay to see

-- and you will have to go a long way to find a more decent, generous and upright people than the Iraqis.

You will be embarrassed by their hospitality even though they have nothing.

Don't treat them as refugees for they are in their own country.

Their children will be poor, in years to come they will know that the light of liberation in their lives was brought by you.

If there are casualties of war then remember that when they woke up and got dressed in the morning they did not plan to die this day.

Allow them dignity in death.

Bury them properly and mark their graves.

It is my foremost intention to bring every single one of you out alive.

But there may be people among us who will not see the end of this campaign.

We will put them in their sleeping bags and send them back.

There will be no time for sorrow.

The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction.

There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of hell for Saddam.

He and his forces will be destroyed by this coalition for what they have done.

As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity.

It is a big step to take another human life.

It is not to be done lightly.

I know of men who have taken life needlessly in other conflicts.

I can assure you they live with the mark of Cain upon them.

If someone surrenders to you then remember they have that right in international law and ensure that one day they go home to their family.

The ones who wish to fight, well, we aim to please.

If you harm the regiment or its history by over-enthusiasm in killing or in cowardice, know it is your family who will suffer.

You will be shunned unless your conduct is of the highest -- for your deeds will follow you down through history.

We will bring shame on neither our uniform or our nation.

(On Saddam's chemical and biological weapons.)

It is not a question of if, it's a question of when.

We know he has already devolved the decision to lower commanders, and that means he has already taken the decision himself.

If we survive the first strike we will survive the attack.

As for ourselves, let's bring everyone home and leave Iraq a better place for us having been there.

Our business now is north.

Now this got me thinking about the last time I was truly inspired by a senior RAF Officer. I have had those who tried to bully (strong word but I am sure you get my meaning) me into working harder and some who have just been really good blokes who have been a joy to work (and work hard) for - but inspire me? No I don't remember any.

I have had colleagues who have inspired me and I have been lucky enough to have people working for me who have been inspirational with both their output and attitude, but bosses? No, none, ever.

Now I am a pretty well self-motivated person and having now served for 32 years I have seen many in senior posts come and go - have there actually been any inspirational RAF leaders out there that I have missed? The recent AFCs and GCs (and other awards) were awarded to truly inspirational people:D but in the scheme of thing they are all fairly junior and reacting to circumstances rather than leadership. Is there actually a need for insprational leadership in the RAF the same way as there is in the Army?

If you have read this far Well Done! It is rather a long post but I am genuinely interested in the views of Ppruners......over to you.

ProM
12th Aug 2008, 15:18
Interesting post. I'd say that the distance of air warfare and that it is conducted in more isolated ones and twos than ground combat (especially infantry) means that it is both harder to inspire in the same way, and is less necessary. The words above aren't the right ones but air warfare is less "personal" (not the right word either - I am struggling here)

Personally as someone who used to wear a brown suit (peace time only), probably the most inspirational leader I knew was when I was in civvie street. Much as it pains me to admit it, he was RN!

Again the proximity to one another with which the RN go to war probably lends itself more to such things

Tightflester
12th Aug 2008, 17:02
Commander of the US Fifth Fleet
Addressing the crew of the aircraft carrier USS Constellation shortly before the first cruise missiles were fired (March 20th 2003)
"Make no mistake, when the President says `Go', look out, it's hammer time. OK, it is hammer time".

Chicken Leg
12th Aug 2008, 18:22
Funny, Tim Collins used to be well respected on here until he has the audacity to suggest that the RAF should be binned. All of a sudden he became a complete knobber who new nothing about nothing!

Wig Wag
12th Aug 2008, 19:11
The most inspirational leader I ever met is John Farley;

Second that. I had the pleasure of meeting JF socially some moons ago. One of the most naturally intelligent blokes I have ever met. He can say, in a few simple words, what other people never fully express. Nice chap too - and impressively unassuming.

skua
12th Aug 2008, 19:41
Echo the comments on John Farley. Wonderful fellow, keen to share his (immense) knowledge in the best possible way).

The man deserves a gong.

Skua

Jackonicko
12th Aug 2008, 22:44
An absolutely top bloke. An aviation and air power intellectual of the very highest order, but unassuming, charming and with the patience of a saint, even with dumb journos.

Re leaders:

People seemed to speak very highly of Stu Atha, John Sullivan, and Bill Pixton.

It remains to be seen how high up the greasy pole one of them gets - being great squadron commanders didn't seem to boost the others' careers, though.

davejb
13th Aug 2008, 00:10
Had a Wingco about 15 years ago, name v similar to a current F1 team who was very inspiring....
...inspired several half hearted mutinies a week.
(924 SQN)

Adam Nams
13th Aug 2008, 02:50
“Manoeuvre …………. Manoeuvre ………… {F1 Team}……….Sorry, Power MAD”
:ok:

Ogre
13th Aug 2008, 03:10
One bloke I can name, one was my Winco at Lossie many years ago who went on to be an AVM I seem to recall. I guess I didn't really appreciate him at the time, but several years later at a reunion to took the time to stop and chat. Then you realised that he did take notice of every one of us in the squadron, even though you might have only seen him in or out once a month.

One other I would mention in dispatches, even though I worked with him long after I left the mob when we were both civvies. He was a test pilot who had the sort of boundless energy you get in a Collie dog. You could have a serious engineering argument with him one minute and a whimsical trip through aviation fantasy the next. Always a kind word when required, but also could point out the error of your ways in such a fashion that you took it as a compliment. If he'd still been in the mob he was the sort of officer you would have done anything for!

MaroonMan4
13th Aug 2008, 05:23
NUFC,

Sadly I think that you are right from our side of the fence, but from my experience on operations (which is where leader is really required, and not the civilian, LEAN style politcally correct 'management') it has been the Pongos that have really impressed me. Yes they do climb up themselves at times, and yes they can be incredibly arrogant, but Brig Butler (Commander 16 Air Assault Brigade) and Lt Col Tootal (Commanding Officer, 3 Para) were truly inspirational when the rounds started going down range in Afghanistan only 1 month after Swiss Des had said that not a shot would be fired (I can name them as they have already been named in official press releases etc).

Talk about honest, direct, no faff Joint Mission Briefings and also keeping a calm and cool head when the plan started to go wrong/need dynamic adaptation, then these 2 certainly rank up there in my books. On some of the missions we knew that there was a real chance that we could be shot down (opposed SH landings, get out of here, why train for that!), but there was not one doubt in the leadership and the decisions that the Pongos were briefing and all of us were inspired.

sisemen
13th Aug 2008, 09:54
Many moons ago when I worked in MOD my department was headed up by an Air Cdre who was regarded as a bit of an "old woman" and a bit of a joke not to be taken too seriously.

He then suffered a very serious brain haemorrhage. The usual jokes were bandied around - "didn't know he had a brain", "couldn't have happened to a better bloke" etc etc. To my utmost and everlasting shame I admit that I joined in the banter.

He came out of hospital and, following a very brief recuperation period started to come in to work for a morning per week which gradually increased to a couple or three mornings per week. The jokes were still flying around 'cos we all thought that he was gone permanently and wouldn't mess up our department any longer. However, the jokes were somewhat muted as we began to acknowledge the courage of the bloke.

And then the ultimate head of the directorate was caught in a gents toilet in Oxford Street allegedly doing things that he shouldn't have been doing.

There was a bit of a kerfuffle in the department that day and the Air Cdre appeared in the office not at his usual time. Finally the announcement was made by the Air Cdre that Air Marshal ****** would not be coming in again and that he would be taking over until a replacement was found.

From that moment he then started to work all the hours that God sent while still recovering from a major operation that could have been the finish of him. And it went on for months.

The department didn't rate highly in the operational side of things and I guess that the rest of the RAF didn't notice any earth shattering effects - after all the department only dealt with pay, pensions and other conditions of service (so long as everything is OK then who gives a stuff about the blunties). However, it was entirely down to this one bloke that things did run as smoothly as they did given that we were in the middle of a pay review and major changes to other forms of pay.

The man inspired me and, I suspect, also inspired some of his more voluble critics.

Thankfully, the guy is still going strong (at least he was last Christmas when we exchanged cards).

In the words of the Reader's Digest - he is the most unforgettable character that I have ever met! Gordon Mitchell - take a bloody big bow because you deserve it :D

Mr C Hinecap
13th Aug 2008, 12:56
Nick 'Crazy Horse' Carter, former SLOps at St Mawgan. One of the few people I have met in my life and known I was a better person for spending time with him. The last time I surfed with him at Watergate Bay is a memory that doesn't fade. I hope whatever came after this life is good to him.

chippy63
13th Aug 2008, 15:05
skua:
You say John Farley deserves a gong: google hi m and you will see that he is OBE, AFC.
I heard him speak at a meeting of the Toulouse branch of the RAeS last year- it was great.

Ayla
13th Aug 2008, 17:04
Margret Thatcher:

"We are a grandmother" to celebrate the spawn of her Desert Driving, Coup arranging son.

"Rejoice " at the sinking of the Belgrano.... not sure of that one.

"You can shove that Davy Lamp up your arse" to Arthur Scargill..... even less sure on that one.

If only the Barroness could come out of retirement and sort out the countries present woes. Michael Hestletine could help as well!

PPRuNeUser0139
13th Aug 2008, 17:34
Lossie, late seventies, a new OC 8 arrives. He'd been in post for a week when there was an all ranks squadron function in the OM plus ladies.. (there must have been 100+ aircrew on the sqn at that time).
After the meal, the new OC 8 and his lovely wife, the fragrant Sandy, came around all the tables in turn to chat and say hello..
To my complete surprise and admiration, they knew everyone's name including the wives..
Step forward and be recognised Phil and Sandy Burton! :D
The only genuine leader I met in 26 years..
(Phil later saved us from stoofing into Ben Rinnes one dark night but that's another story)
sv

Op_Twenty
13th Aug 2008, 18:42
That's the problem with the services - you may be the most inspirational leader the world has ever seen but in order to get promoted to change the world in your image you need to agree with your boss. And strangely enough - your boss could be a real idiot. By the time you reach the top you've forgotten what you stood for and thus inspire nobody. Not to worry, help BAe get another overpriced contract with the military and they'll give you a consultancy job whilst you collect your full pay as a pension. Not too bad then, your family still love you...

Chris Kebab
13th Aug 2008, 19:09
Sidevalve - I never met the man but I do know that over my career Phil Burton's name has come up several times in nothing but the most positive regard, I have never heard anybody speak ill of him; he must be some chap.

Rather sadly I am unable to name any RAF Air Rank officer whom I consider(ed) to be truely inspirational, a few good bosses and staiches but that's where it ends.

caped crusader
13th Aug 2008, 19:30
Sidevalve beat me to it. Phil Burton was a really inspirational leader. Only guy I know who got a standing ovation at his Dining Out Night. Great loss to the RAF.

exscribbler
13th Aug 2008, 20:20
The most inspirational leader I ever met was a Headteacher I worked for many years ago. He was wise, encouraging and trusting of his subordinates and was always prepared to let them test themselves. While realising that we were hardly in the sort of life and death situation met in military circles, his style extracted the best from his people and inspired them to do their absolute utmost in all aspects of their jobs.

I learned much from him and hope I was able in later years to use to advantage the skills and attitudes he inculcated in me. It was only very much later that I found that in another manifestation he had been a WW2 Cavalry Officer with a DSO and MC. He was quite a man; he's gone now and the world is worse for his passing.

His retirement evening was a night to remember! :ok:

Warmtoast
13th Aug 2008, 22:33
Inspirational Leaders

Air Chief Marshal the Earl of Bandon would be my choice of an inspirational leader.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x426/c_in_c_feaf_visit_2__4937befdce4a254c99d4359c157cd20daf7ca5f 2.jpg

First visit to Gan - 1958

When he made his first visit to Gan in 1958 we servicemen had a grievance in that although we met all the requirements we wern't being allowed access to the official R&R flights to Singapore as laid down in QR's or AMO's for personnel stuck at Gan. However we had the opportunity to rectify this when the C-in-C FEAF ACM The Earl of Bandon made his first visit to the island.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x360/c_in_c_feaf_visit_3__46105a9fe2ad97327a14d3e7c20a71a442c539f b.jpg

A good listener and never one for 'officialdom' he insisted on talking to us over a beer without other officers being present and asked what complaints we had. The main one raised was "why were Gan personnel were not being permitted to take advantage of the R & R indulgence flights to Singapore as laid down in Air Ministry or FEAF Orders?"

He said he'd look into the matter on his return. He was PDQ because about two weeks later our complaints were answered and indulgence flights to Singapore were available and I was one of the many who took advantage of them.

With this sort of attitude he was regarded with a great deal of affection by his men. He was commonly known to those under his command as "The Abandoned Earl", or if you really knew him well as "Paddy".

He was outspoken and got himself 'into hot water' on a number of occasions, one such being in 1957 when as C in C, 2nd Tactical Air Force, he received a reprimand from George Ward, Secretary of State for Air, for stating to the press, without MOD approval that tactical nuclear weapons would soon be issued to forces in Europe.

Yet another reprimand occurred when he omitted to inform Whitehall that he was taking unilateral action to quell an uprising of Maldivians who were against the setting up of the RAF staging post at Gan. Although his action had saved the situation, feelings in the MOD and Whitehall were hurt and he received an enormous reprimand from the CDS, Lord Mountbatten, which came to him in signal form. He promptly had the signal framed and hung it on the wall of his office!

On another occasion as C-in-C FEAF he opened a new service swimming pool by jumping in fully clothed to declare it open!
I wonder how many of our present leaders would do such a thing?

His obituary in The Times concluded: "No other airman has ever held so many operational commands as did Bandon, and no one is ever likely to in the future."

minigundiplomat
13th Aug 2008, 22:48
Think it's safe to say The Real Slim Shady won't be featuring on this list.

Old Ned
14th Aug 2008, 08:23
May I offer ACM Sir John Cheshire. A truly inspiring gentleman who, during his climb up the slippery promotion pole, never changed his attitude of charm, calm and loyalty to those he commanded, of whatever rank. It was, sadly, not his lot to reach the top of the Service tree as CAS. That was the RAF's mistake. His lovely wife Sam, must also be mentioned. Recent pic of Sir John:

90th Anniversary of The Royal Air Force, 11 July 2008 (http://uknato.fco.gov.uk/en/newsroom/visits/outreach-visit-ukraine1)

What about a thread of uninspiring leaders? There was a thread about a certain v senior officer, of whom little need be said, some time ago but it was pulled probably before legal proceedings ensued!

Pip pip

ON

AdLib
14th Aug 2008, 15:39
Must be something in the name. For an inspirational example of a great leader do some research on Leonard Cheshire (VC, OM, DSO and Two Bars, DFC).

An amazing man, both during and after WW2.

PPRuNeUser0139
14th Aug 2008, 15:43
I believe in the old adage: "Praise in public, criticise in private".
I don't think that this forum should condone character assassination - deserved or not - by posters hiding behind nom-de-plumes.:=
sv

dallas
14th Aug 2008, 16:12
I've had a couple of inspirational bosses, most of whom I respected because they knew their stuff inside out, got it done when the chips were down, but stood out by taking a genuine interest in their people. Several more of my bosses have tried to feign interest, so I guess Cranwell includes it as part of a lesson, but the people who stand apart are the ones who balance getting the job done with concern for the team.

By contrast, my current wg cdr continues to unknowingly inspire me into believing my current plans to exit the Service are sound, irrespective of the economy!

granmarriott
14th Aug 2008, 18:56
Danny Lavender on 6 Sqdn loved to bits by the groundcrew.

Bill Wratten on 23 and Staish at Coningsby a very good boss.

taxydual
14th Aug 2008, 20:12
One name.

Archie Winskill.

Anyone who could get away with wearing suede bondhu boots and 1A uniform in front of HM Queen Elizabeth ("Well, my feet hurt, Ma'am") does it for me.

A magic guy and boss.

NUFC1892
15th Aug 2008, 13:29
Thanks for the comments guys, seems I am not alone in not being inspired by our current bunch of leaders
:ugh:

As an aside, I note TRSS has ripped off this tread and posted it on e-goat. I shall take it as a compliment - thank you:D

In Tor Wot
16th Aug 2008, 08:37
Difficult to identify one individual that has left his/her mark of inspiration upon one's outlook. However, one that changed my attitude more than any other was Geoff Simpson (Simpo), then Station Commander at Waddington (mid 90s).

Good humoured and professional he also had that element of a personable nature that put all ranks at their ease without trying to be a 'mate'. Willing to take on the hierarchy without alienating them, he achieved many good things for his people and station in such a way as to ensure that it never appeared to be a personal glory hunt.

One memorable incident occurred during an AFI when the 'Scottish' AVM was AOC. There had been great disquiet on the stn at the commitment to Bosnia and the reluctance of 11 Gp to increase the number of crews (E3D) therefore the sqn (singular at the time) was being thrashed. Simpo told all officers to be in the Mess bar by 1630. At the end of the day, said AVM was heading for his 125 when Simpo simply took him to the bar, opened the door turned to the AVM and said, "you've been telling me you can't afford to support these guys, now tell them" and pushed him in, literally. He wouldn't let him leave without hearing what his decisions actually meant to the guys on the sqn.

Unsurprisingly it was a short period before crews were increased and subsequently the additional sqn added.

How many would risk their careers by doing the same these days? Very few I suspect.

November4
16th Aug 2008, 17:57
Can't say he did much inspiration when he was Det Co in Riyadh during Gulf pt 1.

Impression I got was only interested in the tankers that were based there.

Hercs.....were they there as well???

X-Rating
1st Sep 2008, 19:27
Compare and contrast Cheshire and Gibson. An interesting study in leadership.

livenav
4th Sep 2008, 15:11
I can think of numerous from history who deserved the label -leader. Have met a few inspirational Gp Capts who having had their 'cards read' decide to retire! Only know of one Air Ranking Officer who would be followed to Hell and back by those that worked for him -I will spare his blushes -he is still an Air Commodore. However, according to the blunties his paperwork wasn't as good as his predecessor - he was too busy being with the people he commanded! Net result, the adminers preferrred the predecessor (though his predecessor was a cnut) because they had less to do! Lesson is that in todays Air Force being inspirational is not enough (though it should be). If you have the political savvy to get to the top it should debarr you from being there -a sort of catch 22! :ugh:

miltonjosephs
9th Nov 2022, 17:25
I have know Phil for 30+ years from my time when he joined 613VGS. He had left the RAF at that point was an MD at Ferranti International and mentored me through college and my first job at Ferranti.

A truly, truly great leader who is sadly in poor health at the moment.

Chugalug2
9th Nov 2022, 17:59
An interesting thread that rather confirms my theory that the only leaders required by the Royal Air Force are to be found behind the station gates. I was fortunate in my time to have some excellent bosses but to be fair I had little or no contact with the various Station Commanders involved, with exception of one at RAF Fairford. His incompetence was not only clear to we low life but to the CoC also, and he was summarily moved on and replaced.

Outside of the Station Gates the RAF is a bureaucracy which wants conformity to approved policy rather than people persons. As others have pointed out this was not the case with the ex-WWII VSOs who filled the appointments in my day. We had Mickey Martin as an AOC. Renowned for slipping his minders on an AOCs Inspection to find crew rooms and tea bars where he could find what the real issues were rather than those told him by his staff! Normal service resumed though with their post war replacements.

KPax
9th Nov 2022, 21:15
I still believe that JW the Stn Cdr at Bruggen mid 70's was the most inspirational leader I worked for in 38 years, Cliff Spink was another.

The Nr Fairy
10th Nov 2022, 10:23
Am I allowed to extend the list, despite not having met one of these individuals?

David Marquet - he of "Turn The Ship Around" fame. Changed his submarine's fortunes from dire to top of the fleet simply by truly empowering all in his command.

A serving senior army officer of my acquaintance who it would be unfair to name, described to me by a serving colleague as "someone they'd follow into battle" and "the army needs more leaders like them". And having spent even a short amount of time in their company, I can see why. Even in a non-military setting, those qualities are readily apparent.

Thud_and_Blunder
10th Nov 2022, 12:11
Having read granmarriott's take on Wr@tten, I find it interesting that one person's inspirational leader becomes, by the time he's reached the top of the greasy pole, another's lying, conniving back-stabber. Don't think you'd find too many people in the overstretched, thinly-spread Chinook Mk 2 world of 1994 onwards who shared that rosy view of him.

BEagle
10th Nov 2022, 15:40
Bill Wratten on 23 and Staish at Coningsby a very good boss.

Seriously...??

beardy
10th Nov 2022, 17:24
I suppose that you can fool some of the people, some of the time.

langleybaston
10th Nov 2022, 21:00
An interesting thread that rather confirms my theory that the only leaders required by the Royal Air Force are to be found behind the station gates. I was fortunate in my time to have some excellent bosses but to be fair I had little or no contact with the various Station Commanders involved, with exception of one at RAF Fairford. His incompetence was not only clear to we low life but to the CoC also, and he was summarily moved on and replaced.

Outside of the Station Gates the RAF is a bureaucracy which wants conformity to approved policy rather than people persons. As others have pointed out this was not the case with the ex-WWII VSOs who filled the appointments in my day. We had Mickey Martin as an AOC. Renowned for slipping his minders on an AOCs Inspection to find crew rooms and tea bars where he could find what the real issues were rather than those told him by his staff! Normal service resumed though with their post war replacements.
Yes,
Mickey Martin was a top bloke. Staish at Nicosia c. 1963. Roamed the station unaccompamied and cadged fags off everyone he engaged with. "Personal Brief" in Met involved a cigarette and genuine Turkish Coffee brewed by our Cypriot observers. I knew nothing of dam-busting exploits at the time: he just exuded good character. Said to be best low-flying bomber pilot of the war. Our old Hastings must have seemed a bit tame.

Mortmeister
11th Nov 2022, 00:01
If I might offer up a worthy suggestion on good leadership from a lowly ‘bomb-head’s’ perspective.

Wg Cdr Stu Atha OC 3(F) Sqn 2000-2003
We first met in the DRIU during Basic Sea Survival at HMS Excellent, as we had joined the squadron at roughly the same time and we’re preparing to embark in HMS Illustrious. Not only did the Boss know my name, but also those of my wife and two children, having done his homework on the SNCO cadre of the squadron which mightily impressed this newly promoted Sgt. What followed was a rollercoaster of hard work, long nights, great detachments and fun times, which culminated in our participation in Op Telic in 2003.
The Boss exemplified the adage of train hard, fight easy and led from the front throughout; working and flying as hard, or harder as any pilot on the squadron. He was calm and composed and gave a rousing speech to us all on night one. Our young lineys watched in awe as he ensured everyone got to see the imagery of what our pilots had been achieving, so that we all knew the importance of what we were doing. We achieved great success in our role, without fuss or fanfare.
For me, the defining moment was having to help lift him out of the cockpit at sunrise as he had flown all night giving cover to TIC, going back and forth to the tankers as other pilots came and went. I can’t remember how many hours he put in the 700, but that jet needed a fair drop of engine oil on its return! He was utterly exhausted, but having witnessed that level of commitment, this event had a tangible affect on all who witnessed it, me included.
I have not experienced leadership like this before or since and he was rightly awarded the DSO for his conduct. I often used to watch him at work when I was in the Sqn Eng Ops Controller role and he was always meticulous in knowing the state of our aircraft and was not afraid to ask the difficult questions. That man taught me more about leadership than he will ever know and to this day I will never understand why he was not made CAS!

Red Line Entry
11th Nov 2022, 07:18
In recent years, Phil Osborn (Osby) stands out. Brilliant leader, down to earth, really cared for his people while ensuring the job got done. Got to 3 star and became CDI but would have been brilliant as VCDS.

Toadstool
11th Nov 2022, 14:12
In recent years, Phil Osborn (Osby) stands out. Brilliant leader, down to earth, really cared for his people while ensuring the job got done. Got to 3 star and became CDI but would have been brilliant as VCDS.

Mort and RLE. Stu Atha, watched him work the room at the WOs&Sgts Mess invite to the Officers mess Christmas doo at Waddo. It took him an hour to get to the bar as every time he moved, he chatted to someone and knew their names, family names, everything. He came out to Red Flag and gave us a speech. I asked him a question about something and, despite having only met him once, he knew my name, nay, he knew everyone.

He also came to visit my Sqn a few years back when he was AOC. He terrified my Sqn Officers. On the way out of the Sqn he stopped by our work area, which is where I met him first before Ex RF, where all of us old MACr worked. Spent half an hour chatting about everything. None of it work related.Utterly personable, very knowledgable.

Osby and Stu Atha came to Waddo for a brief after a conference. It was great watching two 3 * s meeting and immediately taking the piss out of each other. Osby gave a fantastic talk about Russia. How prophetic he was and he held the room in the palm of his hand. Great leaders.

The only other leader who I ever saw come close was Dickie (Patroonas)? I did my pre-Afghan course with him then deployed together to the same unit. Fantastic guy. I wonder what happened to him.

Diff Tail Shim
11th Nov 2022, 18:53
Mort and RLE. Stu Atha, watched him work the room at the WOs&Sgts Mess invite to the Officers mess Christmas doo at Waddo. It took him an hour to get to the bar as every time he moved, he chatted to someone and knew their names, family names, everything. He came out to Red Flag and gave us a speech. I asked him a question about something and, despite having only met him once, he knew my name, nay, he knew everyone.

He also came to visit my Sqn a few years back when he was AOC. He terrified my Sqn Officers. On the way out of the Sqn he stopped by our work area, which is where I met him first before Ex RF, where all of us old MACr worked. Spent half an hour chatting about everything. None of it work related.Utterly personable, very knowledgable.

Osby and Stu Atha came to Waddo for a brief after a conference. It was great watching two 3 * s meeting and immediately taking the piss out of each other. Osby gave a fantastic talk about Russia. How prophetic he was and he held the room in the palm of his hand. Great leaders.

The only other leader who I ever saw come close was Dickie (Patroonas)? I did my pre-Afghan course with him then deployed together to the same unit. Fantastic guy. I wonder what happened to him.
Was fortunate to have those last two gentlemen as my last Station commanders. Was Guard Commander on Xmas Day and as others had mentioned, Stu had done his homework and knew my first name. Phill Osborne presented my AOC commendation at Marham on my last full day in uniform. Again highly interested in his personal.

oldpax
12th Nov 2022, 04:31
I was a teenage mech when I did something very silly passing through El Adem.I thought I had got away with it but later my captain(wingco) came and sat with me nd we commenced to talk about the incident which could have got him in hot water!It involved a senior army officer losing or lets say misplacing a piece of uniform!
My (then)Wingco commenced to make a joke of it in front of the squadron which gave me a very red face!!
Wing commander Roe,you were a real gent..ended up an AvM (?
Lovely man.

sharpend
12th Nov 2022, 08:05
I still believe that JW the Stn Cdr at Bruggen mid 70's was the most inspirational leader I worked for in 38 years, Cliff Spink was another.
Indeed, I very much admired Whiskey Walker.

Mortmeister
12th Nov 2022, 08:21

The only other leader who I ever saw come close was Dickie (Patroonas)? I did my pre-Afghan course with him then deployed together to the same unit. Fantastic guy. I wonder what happened to him.'Dickie Pat' I was on 63/19 when he cam through on his TWU course. Another thoroughly nice bloke and a bloody good pilot to boot. Had a backseat ride with him when he got creamed off to instruct for a while, so very down to earth. I guess he has left the building?

Red Line Entry
12th Nov 2022, 08:48
I think this issue of ‘great leaders’ knowing people’s names is a bit of a red herring. Everyone knows that people love to hear their own names, so even the weasliest politician keeps a notebook/database of people’s names and contacts (GDPR notwithstanding!)

I’ve known senior officers who have made great effort to learn people’s names, but that hasn’t stopped them from being complete tossers without any genuine empathy or compassion. They just have known the best way to climb the greasy pole.

212man
12th Nov 2022, 18:28
Just came across this account, which certainly shows some inspirational leadership qualities: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/12/padres-frozen-vigil-bosnia-remains-image-remembrance/

radar101
12th Nov 2022, 19:53
Just came across this account, which certainly shows some inspirational leadership qualities:

Not leadership - just an incredible level of humanity - hats off to Padre Tom

SASless
13th Nov 2022, 14:22
With passing of Veterans Day.....and the passing of the last living Member of Easy Company of "Band of Brothers" fame.....I would suggest that Dick Winters easily meets the standards required to be an inspirational leader.

I first read the book when it first came out, very much enjoyed the Series and have an autographed copy of the book signed by Buck Compton.

What was unique about Easy Company is they wound up at Hitler and Goring's mountain retreats. having fought their way from Normandy via Bastogne, Holland, and across Germany to wind up drinking Goring's Wine Cellar dry.

Winters was the glue that held them together and led by example to include a infantry actions that are still taught to US Military Academy Cadets today.

A short article about the "end" of Easy Company.....the Soldiers are gone but. their reputation and accomplishments live on.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/heroic-legacy-band-brothers-should-be-an-inspiration-all-americans

oldmansquipper
14th Nov 2022, 09:10
Leaders? Just some names from my brief (39 years) time in blue come to mind…Not all RAF and their style of leadership differs, for sure. some names will be ‘controversial’ on here but they have all been influential in my time. .

No ranks, as I have seen that rank is no guarantee of good leadership. ”and in no particular order”

…..long pause ………

David Cousins
Doug Bridson
Ernie Jakeway
Cliff Spink
Doug Hall
Sandy Wilson
David Hill
George Ross
Jock Manson
Bob Leggett

“and the winner, is…..”