PDA

View Full Version : Vista Home basic / XP Pro SP3

SeldomFixit
12th Aug 2008, 09:05
I've bought a Compaq laptop with Vista Home basic and HATE it with a passion. Pros and cons of reformatting to XP Pro SP3 please ?

Firefox/IE7 fail time and again to prodfuce PPrune or Hotmail yet other programs / sites load and run likkity split.

Firefox says it is already running and I need to close the session or reboot but task manager won't kill the running session.

Looking forward to useful advice IF I can get PPrune open again to read it !!!!

TIA SF

Saab Dastard
12th Aug 2008, 10:38
Starter for 10 -

Pros:

It works.
Properly.

Cons:

Possibly hard to get drivers for XP (research before taking the plunge).
Version 10 of directX not released for XP.
You have to buy a full licensed copy of XP Pro (you can't transfer an OEM license), and there are no downgrade rights from V-HB.
Time and effort involved in installing and transferring your applications and settings.

I'm sure others will build on this!

SD

green granite
12th Aug 2008, 13:13
For info, there is a serious problem of compatibility between Vista and AVG 8 so if you're using AVG dump it and see if it solves the problem.

terrain safe
12th Aug 2008, 13:42
As Saab says be careful with the drivers. My In-laws have an HP laptop with Vista on it. MIL hates it and wants XP. Trouble is the Hard disc is Sata and their version of XP can't see it without drivers. Guess what Hp don't do XP Sata drivers for their laptop and it's 18 months old so probably never will. Stuck with Vista for them then. Don't see the problem myself, use Vista Ultimate all the time on my Dell laptop, no problems at all (except for getting DNS settings in TCP/ip at times, Vista cocks it up so bad that I am on user settings:ugh:, not a problem for me :8 but if you don't know what it is then you are on a hiding to nothing).