PDA

View Full Version : Michael Phelps... Freak, fish, or both?

Howard Hughes
12th Aug 2008, 04:19
This guy is just unbelievable, sets a world record in the 200 freestyle final while taking GOLD, then backs up about an hour later and equals the Olympic record in the 200M butterfly semi final. Nobody else is even in the same league, 3 Gold medals so far and 3 World records, I for one hope he gets his 8 medals, even if it is at the expense of the Australians.:ok:

West Coast
12th Aug 2008, 04:58
Just watched a piece on him and his eating habits. How he fits time in to swim in between strapping on the feed bag, I'll never know.

Alloa Akbar
12th Aug 2008, 05:15
So young Michael has just clocked Gold number 3, and another WR.. great achievement and all that, but....

Would he have beaten Ian "Thorpedo" Thorpe...??

I think he would, but I'm sure our brethren from down under would contest that stance...

Howard Hughes
12th Aug 2008, 05:39
Hmm your question maybe already answered elsewhere on JB!;)

I suspect Ian Thorpe retired at a very young age, because he could see the juggernaut that is Michael Phelps gathering speed...:ok:

Binoculars
12th Aug 2008, 13:32
All records move on, it is the way of the world. We thought Thorpe was a one in a generation swimmer; Phelps has proven otherwise.

I'm right behind him on his quest, because the best should always win, and this guy is not just the best, but a freak. To see two of them in ten years is remarkable.

BenThere
12th Aug 2008, 13:45
Though he grew up in Baltimore, he's quite a local hero here in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where he lives now. He is closely associated with the swimming coach at University of Michigan, where he also attends classes. He volunteers as an unpaid assistant coach for the U of M swimming team.

Mark Spitz, who later became a dentist I believe, was associated with the nearby University of Indiana. Spitz is the American swimming high water mark until and if Phelps can eclipse Spitz' seven gold in the 1972 O's.

vapilot2004
12th Aug 2008, 16:13
I enjoyed the moment when the French competitor, who earlier was talking his best trash, was along with his teammates speechless in the thrashing they received.
It is always good to see the self-proclaimed high and mighty get bonked down a peg or three. :ok:

Mr. Phelps should take care with any future rhetoric. :suspect:

Beatriz Fontana
12th Aug 2008, 19:25
But vapilot2004, nothing quite beats seeing the French get a thrashing :}

West Coast
12th Aug 2008, 20:18
Favorite teams, the US and whomever is playing France.

BenThere
12th Aug 2008, 20:49
But they lost the relay with elegance.

CityofFlight
12th Aug 2008, 21:21
In true sportsman fashion, Spitz is hoping Phelps will break his record 1972 record for Gold.

....I still remember vividly, the picture of Spitz on the cover, in nothing but his speedo & gold medals across his chest. Still brings a tear to my eye. Fine specimen!

Say again s l o w l y
12th Aug 2008, 22:25
The chap is a marvel. I've been watching him open mouthed. I used to swim competitively as a junior for GB school boys, so I know a little bit about it and his stroke is a bit unorthodox, but it's so effective.

FiL is watching him with me and he was an olympic swimmer and commonwealth champion when he was younger and even he finds Phelps to be an absolute marvel. "I wish I could have swum like that! My medal cabinet would have been a lot fuller than it is.
I'm sitting here looking at all his medals and press cuttings and what strikes me is the difference in size between swimmers of the 60's and today. FiL is just under 6 foot, whereas most of the swimmers now are simply massive. Mind you he still has a 50 inch chest now.

Um... lifting...
12th Aug 2008, 22:32
Phelps they say is a bit of a freak... torso of a man 6'8", legs of a man 6'0". As for unorthodox stroke... imagine what would have happened to Michael Johnson if his coach gave him a more conventional sprinting stride. From Wikipedia (the fount of all nonsense...)

Johnson was noted for his unique running style. His upright stance and very short steps defied the perceived wisdom that a high knee lift was essential for maximum speed.

Howard Hughes
13th Aug 2008, 03:26
Another gold, another World record and now the most Olympic gold medals ever. What a champion!:ok:

Um... lifting...
13th Aug 2008, 03:29
Howard, I wondered who (in the appropriate time zone) was going to be the first to report on Phelps' latest effort. You win a free pass to pprune!

Howard Hughes
13th Aug 2008, 03:38
Well it's middayish here and I am on holidays, so nothing better to do than watch the Olympics and Prune away...;)

Alloa Akbar
13th Aug 2008, 03:48
4th Gold, 4th WR.. what an athlete.. good lad.:D

BombayDuck
13th Aug 2008, 09:45
Make that FIVE!

Incredible.

coley chaos
13th Aug 2008, 10:38
Yes he is isnt he?..... The reason he is soooo great is his body shape/power to weight/mentality/the right coach/facilities/endurance training/the racing suit/being a millionare.... i could go on.

The system in the U.S. is second to none.. the collegiate system and the money $$$$$$ pumped into rearing talented individuals. His schoolboy talent VERY early on was harnessed by those that look for these things and the end result is what we are seeing now.

He has been ploughing up and down now in training for over 15 years which is what is required to reach performance standards. Millions of arm strokes per year, thousands of tumble turns... and so on. He swims in excess of 100,000/80,000 meters per week depending on his racing requirements. Thats 4000/3200 lengths of your local swim baths each week, so his recovery, because of his endurance base/platform between swims is what we are seeing as making it look easy.

The "Speedo Lazer" racing suit is making a HUGE impact, my daughter has swum in them and it is making the body position in the water higher and anyone who has worn them knows how different it feels. The hips are higher in the water thus making kicking more effective especially the underwater phase off the walls/start. It is amazing the way a swimming costume dictates how you swim competatively.

My 19 year old daughter was part of the European Youth Olympic team in 2003 in Paris and continues to swim in GB teams and missed out going to Olympics by under a second!. She and Rebecca Adlington/ Fran Halsall are the only girls left swimming of that youth team. Rebecca swam to gold in an outstanding swim with Jo Jackson in bronze. :ok:

The Buisiness of swimming at the highest level has taken new turnings and these olympics are showing this. The GB swimmers are mostly outperforming themselves and securing places in semis and finals that 8 years ago was just a pipe dream. However the rest of the world is also going places and we are still at least 4 years from producing true olympic talent to take more medals, but we are getting there with better coaching and better facilities. That said, China bulit 75 50m olympic size pools through out their country, Britain... well built 2 or 3 more.

Funding/funding/funding/facilities/facilities/facilities/coaches/coaches/coaches, then we may see more Adlingtons/Jacksons and my daughter take podiums and records more often at this level of competitions.

As for the golds going to one chappie.... then i will watch in awe and watch his bank balance grow. :D

airgrunt
13th Aug 2008, 12:23
Favorite teams, the US and whomever is playing France.

Dunno, I personally don't give a flying fcuk who wins as long as someone beats the brash, arrogant, yanks. Having said that no one will beat Phelps :D

ORAC
13th Aug 2008, 12:33
Dunno, I personally don't give a flying fcuk who wins as long as someone beats the brash, arrogant, yanks. let me see, which other brash, arrogant set of antipodeans have they knocked off the top of the tree....

Ohh! I remember, it's the one's who's senior IOC representative goes around making comments about other nations competitors like this (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/beijing_olympics/story/0,27313,24168391-5016818,00.html).... :hmm:

Conan The Barber
13th Aug 2008, 12:39
There are clearly too many too similar events in swimming.

Um... lifting...
13th Aug 2008, 18:09
...if Carl Lewis hurdled or ran the 400 or 800m in addition to his remarkable long jumping and sprinting abilities... it would be the same thing.

There's a huge difference between the 200 Free and the 400 IM and the 200 Fly. That's what makes Phelps' achievements all the more remarkable. Granted, there are 3 relays in there, but so too have the tracksters.

airgrunt
14th Aug 2008, 00:32
let me see, which other brash, arrogant set of antipodeans have they knocked off the top of the tree....

Ohh! I remember, it's the one's who's senior IOC representative goes around making comments about other nations competitors like this....

Was his comment a bit close to home Orac :ok: :E

Howard Hughes
14th Aug 2008, 05:25
No medals today, but the money (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7W45Fr6NRA) keeps roling in...

maximus
14th Aug 2008, 08:27
Ohh! I remember, it's the one's who's senior IOC representative goes around making comments about other nations competitors like this...

Bit too close to the truth eh ORAC :ok: :E

Howard Hughes
14th Aug 2008, 08:51
ORAC, nobody over takes much notice of what John Coates says...;)

Wod
14th Aug 2008, 09:28
The lad deserves all the accolades he gets.

(And how can anyone have a problem with the John Coates comment - it is mainline, old fashioned, comfortable, humour; the Pommie equivalent is Alf Garnett going on about convicts. Now, journos trying to make it something else is a whole new thread.)

henry crun
14th Aug 2008, 10:11
You suspect you speak the truth Howard, it is a mystery why anybody outside of Oz takes notice of what any Ocker says. ;)

dollydaydream
14th Aug 2008, 10:32
No medals today,

I suspect that is down to the fact that he is not competing today!

Rule3
14th Aug 2008, 16:25
It must have been a mirage that I saw qualify second fastest in the 100m Butterfly.:confused: I'm tipping 49.95 in the final, but I haven't conceded the 4x100m Medley just yet.:ok:

ORAC
14th Aug 2008, 18:22
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20080813/lcrmlu080813.gif

boofhead
14th Aug 2008, 20:03
Winning depends on a will to do so, to drive to be the best and never give up. Sometimes it also depends on technology, which in my opinion should be standardized for all competitors so that the ground is level and we would then truly see the best athlete (for example the suits should be the same for all, or perhaps no suit at all!). The final determination, unfortunately, is the use of performance enhancing drugs or medical techniques and it is usual that there will always be some such that is presently undetectable. I would bet that his blood samples (do they take them routinely?) are being closely studied.
There have been too many scandals in modern sport, which makes me want to say "wait, don't celebrate too soon."
Perhaps if the guy was not so far ahead of his rivals, my level of suspicion would not be so high?

con-pilot
14th Aug 2008, 20:11
I would bet that his blood samples (do they take them routinely?) are being closely studied.

All winning athletes are immediately check after every event.

Rule3
14th Aug 2008, 21:21
Indeed you are.:rolleyes: He has already been tested many times this week. He is a:mad: freak, like Spitz, Dawn Fraser, Janet Evans, Shane Gould, Ian Thorpe, Peter Van Hoogenband etc......:ok:

Howard Hughes
15th Aug 2008, 03:53
That's 6 now with a gold in the 4x50m individual medley, of course with another WORLD RECORD!:eek:

con-pilot
15th Aug 2008, 17:47
On a related topic brought up in this thread. So far three athletes have been removed from the games due to drug issues.

Doping Costs Athlete Two Medals - AOL Sports (http://sports.aol.com/olympics/story/_a/bbdp/doping-costs-athlete-two-medals/134870?icid=200100397x1207526416x1200409304)

Um... lifting...
15th Aug 2008, 22:37
I sense the Vietnamese gymnast (who incidentally, already had come in last place, as per the article I read) had no idea she had taken a banned substance. That one's a bit sad.
Read something recently that said chess players are now doping as well. Oh, dear.

stagger
17th Aug 2008, 00:46
There's a huge difference between the 200 Free and the 400 IM and the 200 Fly. That's what makes Phelps' achievements all the more remarkable.

Indeed.

Perhaps track athletes should be given similar opportunities to collect gold medals by having different running "strokes"?

How many gold medals could Bolt get if he could compete in the...

100m freestyle running
100m hopping
100m running backwards
100m running sideways

200m freestyle running
200m hopping
200m running backwards
200m running sideways

Plus a 4 x 100m medley, and each of these in a relay, and then a medley relay etc etc

:O

StbdD
17th Aug 2008, 01:47
You mean like these Olympic track events?

100m
200m
400m
800m
1,500m
3,000m steeplechase
5,000m
10,000m
Marathon
20km walk
50km walk (men only)
110m hurdles (men only)
400m hurdles

Or maybe just the 100m, 200m, 4x100m relay which Bolt normally runs?

stagger
17th Aug 2008, 14:53
There are 34 medals available for swimming distances ranging from 50m to 10,000m.

There are only around 29 medals (I think I've counted them all) available for running/walking distances ranging from 100m to 42,000m. So there is more variation in the distances involved.

Swimming achieves a greater number of medals by including various strokes - not by having as much variation in the distances.

winglit
17th Aug 2008, 16:25
No one's mentioned those ears though? If he can flap them that would give him the unfair advantage. Or maybe he's hiding a set of gills behind them.
Anyone remember that film with Kevin Costner?

BombayDuck
17th Aug 2008, 19:24
dangit, winglit, I was trying hard to forget it! :ugh:

c'est waterworld

So Phelps got his eighth. Damn.

Between his 8 and Bolt's madness... this has been an awesome Olympics.

Now onwards, the Indian boxers!

Rule3
17th Aug 2008, 23:58
Given up on your grossly overpaid lot that pose as Cricketers? :confused:At least tomorrow will remind you of the Olympics, Your lot will have to face the :mad:"CHUCKER" aka the :mad:"JAVELIN" Thrower.:ugh:

con-pilot
18th Aug 2008, 03:48
Dang, Duck, what did you do to him to make him so mad at you? :p

(I was going to say, "p!ssed off at you", but I'm PC now you see. :p)

Howard Hughes
18th Aug 2008, 08:03
No one's mentioned those ears though? If he can flap them that would give him the unfair advantage. Or maybe he's hiding a set of gills behind them.
A winged keel perhaps? Maybe they finally got revenge on those 'wascally orsies'...;)

On serious note I am truly in awe of the man, to break that record is truly breathtaking! Watching Mark Spitz on Television, is probably my first memory of the Olympic games, I hope I live another 32 years to see this record eclipsed also!

ehwatezedoing
22nd Aug 2008, 04:09
August 21, 2008

Michael Phelps Returns To His Tank At Sea World

Michael Phelps Returns To His Tank At Sea World | The Onion - America's Finest News Source (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/michael_phelps_returns_to_his_tank?utm_source=onion_rss_dail y)
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/phelps_article_large.article_large.jpg
ORLANDO—Fourteen-time Olympic gold medalist and SeaWorld main attraction Michael Phelps returned to his seven-million-gallon water tank Wednesday to resume his normal schedule of performing in six shows a day for marine park crowds every day of the week.

Phelps, the 6'4", 200-pound aquatic mammal, and the first ever SeaWorld swimmer to be raised in captivity by foster swimmers (Mark Spitz and Dara Torres), was recaptured by trainer Bob Bowman in a hoop net baited with an entire Dutch apple pie following Phelps' final Olympic event last Sunday. Phelps was then tethered to the rudder of a container ship bound for St. Petersburg, guided down local waterways, and introduced back into his home habitat, the tank in SeaWorld's 5,500 seat stadium, known to park officials and visitors alike as "Phelps' Happy Harbor."

:}

chevvron
22nd Aug 2008, 14:05
Is he related to Brian Phelps, who won a swimming 'gold' for GB many years ago?

BombayDuck
22nd Aug 2008, 16:02
con-pilot - believe you me he is not mad at me (or Indians)*, but a particular Sri Lankan cricket player. I will spare you the technicalities as it would get a bunch of us heated up all over again :p

ehwatzedoing - Brilliant! Love the Onion :D

*in this case - one never knows ;)

kinteafrokunta
8th Feb 2013, 05:13
With the current exploding news about doping in Aussie sports, will there be a reopening of cases where certain swimmers' samples As or Bs did test positive?

Were there cover ups by vested interests to manipulate the subsequent tests to ensure the athletes get a clean bill?