PDA

View Full Version : How do you get a pilot gig in Europe without JAA

Kalikiano
12th Aug 2008, 03:15
I am currently working on my FAA PPL - Commercial ratings with CFI addons.

My wife and I are interested in working in Europe but from what I have seen I will be unable to affourd the FAA -JAA conversion courses that some schools offer.

What options do I have to get my JAA ratings without going to a flight school.

Artificial Horizon
12th Aug 2008, 07:23
No options unfortuantly, if you want JAA ratings then you will have to follow some sort of conversion structure through a flying school. Some places cheaper than others, have you looked at JAA schools in the USA, Australia etc.. some of these offer conversions much cheaper than in Europe. You will have to do all 14 ground exams, training as required to pass a CPL and IR test. Of course with an FAA Licence there is always a possibility of flying an 'N' registered aircraft in europe, such as a biz jet. No idea though how easy this would be to find. All of this asssuming as well that you have the right to live and work in the European union??

potkettleblack
12th Aug 2008, 08:09
If you were experienced then there have been examples in the past of getting around the rules. Ryanair for example have been known to get exemptions from the Irish Aviation Authority in order to get direct entry crews for its 738's. Think the last batch were from Brazil.

From what I understand they were expected to jump through all of the full hoops after a couple of years (do the full blown JAA conversion) but I think a bit of nudge nudge wink wink gets the exemptions rolled over.

You would also need to get a work permit sorted out as well unless you had an EU passport/spouse.

Kalikiano
13th Aug 2008, 02:02
I have been looking up conversion schools here in the US but it seems a bit pricey since Im already forking out a big loan for my FAA ratings. I have not really thought much about getting a permit to work in the EU but it seems like I cant do much until I get a legit job offer from a company and then I can begin the process for a work permit.

Dream Land
13th Aug 2008, 03:02
Not to put you off but I don't think you have a snowballs chance in hell to do what you are thinking. Most people working in the EU are nationals, you must marry a local resident then take several grueling examinations to get the JAR license.

Without having a "right to work" a person can work temporarily in the EU if they are given a validation, usually for a temporary period, if you are doing this, they can allow a person to take a human factors test and a sim ride to get the full license only if you meet the experience requirements, I believe it's 1500 hours P1 time in an aircraft over 30K KGS.

This will put the license in your pocket but you still have to have a right to work. If I'm incorrect on this I'm sure someone will kindly point this out to me. :}

Cheers, D.L.

Captain_djaffar
13th Aug 2008, 20:03
dreamland is right. You can go for any JAA training and have all JAA licenses and ratings...but the minimum requirement for working in Europe is to be an EU national, or atleast be the holder of a resident/work permit. These are acquired only by marriage to an EU national or applying for the High Skill Migrant scheme ( very difficult to pass through unless you are a billionaire,or highly qualified professional in some specific scarce jobs position in the U.K....dentists etc...its a matter of points) Pilots are not scarce unluckily for you.

redsnail
13th Aug 2008, 20:36
Dreamland's post about the 1500 hours in command of an aircraft +30K kg is true, but, you'll only be able to fly a G-reg aircraft. If you want to fly for another country within JAA land, you'll have to do the rest of the exams.

However, as others have said, unless you have a passport or visa for a European country, you haven't got much of a chance working in Europe.

Anonymus6
13th Aug 2008, 21:39
unfortunetly, all the guys posted above are right regarding the JAA and EU work permit. JAA has some strict rules, and protect JAA piltos very well. if it would be very easy to convert, I would bet there would be a massive flow of FAA guys in Europe. Quality of live for an airline pilot is much higher (higher status) in Europe than in US (Depends what airline you work for) and I mean generally. I belive the pay is also much better since the Euro is Stronger then dollar.

My final words, If you don't have a EU passport (or work permit) DON'T CONVERT TO JAA.

corsair
14th Aug 2008, 16:35
On the other hand, experienced type rated American pilots do get work in Europe. A visa is arranged, usually by the company. It's quite common to hear American accents on the radio. I've heard several flying for Ryanair. Aer Arann has at least one too. I'm sure it's the same with other airlines in Europe. But most probably are experienced or entitled to an EU passport. Did you have a European grandparent? That's an in! An Irish grannie or grandad has helped many an American get a passport.

Otherwise it will be tough.

Arturo Lan
16th Aug 2008, 16:35
Hi corsair,

My grandomother was from Greece and my grandfather from Lithuania, is there I chance I can apply to get a EU passport?

I would like to have the chance to work in Europe too some day.

thanks,
Arturo

perceval
17th Aug 2008, 22:09
some countries do have " ancestry'' laws that might allow you to request their citizenship (UK is one example) based on relatives that used to hold that citizenship . Check with both the greek and lithuanian embassy in your country , but be aware that knowledge of the language will be a prerequisite in any case .:8

corsair
17th Aug 2008, 22:29
Indeed it's as Perceval says. It does depend on the country and their own specific laws.

Arturo Lan
24th Aug 2008, 00:18
thanks for the reply :)