PDA

View Full Version : Schedules

thehes
11th Aug 2008, 14:47
Hello All,

I am entering as a DESO and wondered if someone could help out a little understanding schedules. What do compact and super-compact schedules look like on long-haul for the 744 & 777? Any advice on which is preferable?

(I've read all about the fact you don't get what you want, etc. so please no rants about CX assignment system! I still have to enter something!) :)

You can reply on here or to [email protected].

Thanks,
William

EngineOut
11th Aug 2008, 15:45
In all seriousness, don't get in a pickle about types, you have NO choice. You could get assigned the Airbus!

You'll do between 2.5-4 trips per month, depending on where you fly to. (eg a HKG-JFK-HKG is worth about 32hrs, whereas a HKG-SYD-HKG is only worth about 19hrs)

Super compacts will give you two of your ULH back to back, so roughly 8 days in a row, home in HK for minimum rest in the middle. Almost all ULHs are 4 day patterns, so if you do 3 trips in a month you will get a heap of time off...it just depends how many in a row... you always seem to get a sim or something in the middle of a long string of days off! :ugh:

thehes
11th Aug 2008, 16:34
When you do super-compact roster and are assigned back-to-back trips, are you given two days off in between or can you go right back out? I've seen both indicated on this message board. In other words, could you do HKG-SFO-HKG (4 day pattern) Monday to Thursday, then leave again for HKG-SFO-HKG on Friday, or would that 2nd trip leave on Saturday or Sunday? I know that sounds like a dumb question if you're already doing it but it's a little confusing right now.

Also, what are the minimum rest differences? Example, is there a difference in days off after a SYD turn versus JFK or LHR? I assume yes, but am not sure of the limitations.

EngineOut
11th Aug 2008, 17:55
Super compacts are considered as 2 trips in one duty cycle, so you turn around and go back out the next day normally.

ok, rest is a bit more complicated...it is better not to dwell over it before you start, because it will all be explained in due course and is more complicated than a couple of sentences will explain. It depends on duty length, crew on board, time of day (whether it is overnight or not), number of time zones crossed, being acclimatised or unacclimatised, how many bunks you've made in the last 90 days etc etc. A lot here don't fully understand it! And then there is the roster disruption clause!

Rest is "normally" 72hours after an ULH, at home base. Super-compact does not come under the "normally" description though. Also HKG-SYD (all Aus for that matter), HKG-BAH, HKG-RUH are not considered ULH, so rest is different again.

Believe me, just wait until you start!

Ho Hum
11th Aug 2008, 18:20
dude. I read your thread as if you are trying to justify taking the job based on being able to work the roster on either a commuting basis or simply maximising time at home for personal or business interests.

May I sugest you simply accept that what is dealt is dealt and if you can handle the politics and 1890s style draconian corporate culture, take the job.
If not, don't base your career choice on such marginilised assesment. Either stay where you are or suck it up and survive. it is what it is.....
It does not suit everyone and nearly everyone has a tale to tell, good or/and bad but virtually none of us have influence on the outcome. (sadly...)

Take the job and be magnamious, or don't come at all. It ain't gonna change.
If you take a start on some precocieved expectation and that then does not come to fruition, you will be so pissed off that you may well leave. The food chain starts at the bottom and this company does not give two tin hoots for where you've been before or what's important to you or your family. tough **** batman.
Sorry to be so blunt but that's what it's like here.!

Humber10
12th Aug 2008, 17:25
On the Bus, I ended up doing more work on a supercompact roster..... Two ULH and two OZ trips a month, and throw a sim in there for good measure every 1.5 months (due crew up and mods). Some times 5 trips a month.... add a Dubai into the mix....

As for the supercompact, get you sleep when you can. I was like a zombie on the 2nd trip return sector.... You wont catch me doing SC again....

Off the supercompact; 3 OZ and 1 Dubai a month. OR very rearly a ULH (line check) and 2-3 regionals.

I guess this will change now with the Airbus about to lose a daily LHR and the daily AMS in October to the 744.

As for choice of fleet type, guys have been known to get the type they wanted by delaying their start untill there was a slot. But I guess this all depends on what slots are available. My bet is if they are only hiring for the one type at the time, you wont have a choice. My advice, just take what's on offer. The guys on the 744 seemed to have pretty good rosters, I'd take that if offered.
Good luck and welcome to HKG