PDA

View Full Version : Securing a job before starting a self funded type rating...A dream or reality?

Toasty
11th Aug 2008, 13:30
I am aware of a number of scheme's which offer a A320 type rating and 150 hours on the line on completion, with no guarantee for a job. Has anyone heard if it has been possible to secure employment before starting the scheme, for example, asking Easyjet, Monarch, etc for a contract before starting the type rating as you are exposing yourself for £30,000+ if not. I have no problem paying for my own type rating, as I see that as an investment, but not securing a job before it is very risky. If anyone has done such a scheme or managed to secure employment before starting the type rating any advice would be much appreciated.

preduk
11th Aug 2008, 14:05
Never heard it happening. Why would they lock themselves into a contract with someone who hasn't done it when they have a big list of qualified pilots knocking at their door.

JB007
11th Aug 2008, 16:31
If all you want is to fly a jet when you've got a fATPL and less than 200 hours, then you're gonna pay for it...end of!

There are some fantastic flying positions in the UK where you can actually really get to fly...Loganair, FlyBe, Air Southwest, Aer Arran, Aurigny...

Maybe lower your horizons....

bear11
11th Aug 2008, 17:09
The reason you won't get any guarantees is precisely because companies are offering Type Rating and Line Hours courses.

If any company had such a scheme, I suspect they'd be charging rather more than their competitors. In fact, there was the odd such scheme a few years ago where you were guaranteed a contract for a few years after completing the type rating successfully. Guess what; once pilots got their hours on type over 500 they broke their contract and ran away to other better paying airlines. This gave Ops a problem as they couldn't predict when pilots would leave and cover the roster. From an Ops perspective, it's better then if you know the new pilot has 150 hours exactly as you know when you have to replace him, and then you get paid for those 150 hours also!

Of course, there's always Ryanair....

INNflight
11th Aug 2008, 17:36
all you want is to fly a jet when you've got a fATPL and less than 200 hours, then you're gonna pay for it...end of!

OR finally get your head out of the sand and look further than your lovely isle :ok:

There's tons of (also jet-) jobs outside the UK. Surely you don't get your license to apply with Easy or Monarch only? :)

JB007
11th Aug 2008, 21:35
OR finally get your head out of the sand and look further than your lovely isle

Or maybe we like our lovely isle...http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/travesmilies/flaggen1/smilie_flagge3.gif

I've never paid for a type rating yet...and most importantly, i'm at home with a pub serving London Pride in the village!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ernaehrung/food-smiley-012.gif

BerksFlyer
11th Aug 2008, 21:42
OR finally get your head out of the sand and look further than your lovely isle

Or maybe we're crap at learning other languages!